News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970Moparmann's Superbird - Continuous questions.....

Started by 1970Moparmann, November 27, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

I bought two 68 versions and no problems.  Interesting.....
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 62 Max on May 26, 2013, 08:32:33 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 25, 2013, 09:39:37 PM
Thanks.  Do you have a standard on yours?  If so, can you post a picture of your upper interior door?

Standard  mirror.

Thanks.  This car gets more interesting as I get into it.  The upper door area does have the hole for a remote mirror, but no hole in the outer door.  There is no code for the remote mirror on the fender tag, so I'll put a standard mirror on it.

62 Max

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 26, 2013, 02:47:37 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on May 26, 2013, 08:32:33 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 25, 2013, 09:39:37 PM
Thanks.  Do you have a standard on yours?  If so, can you post a picture of your upper interior door?

Standard  mirror.

Thanks.  This car gets more interesting as I get into it.  The upper door area does have the hole for a remote mirror, but no hole in the outer door.  There is no code for the remote mirror on the fender tag, so I'll put a standard mirror on it.

When you are ready to get into the engine compartment let me know,there are a lot of details I can help you with.Also,get rid of the rubber fuel line !! :nono:

moparstuart

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 26, 2013, 11:37:14 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on May 26, 2013, 08:41:31 AM
Quote from: 62 Max on May 26, 2013, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 26, 2013, 12:48:02 AM
I heard people have some problems with Evan's harnesses. I bought a harness from Year One (M&H fabricators made) harness and it is really nice, excellent quality.

And I've heard the same thing about Year One so I guess it's a toss up. :scratchchin:

the 70  ,  70 only dash harness from year one ( M& H ) is aweful , sucks sucks suck , but the 69 harness from year one was fantastic perfect

it literly has 35 extra plugs not needed in a road runner and none of the wires where the correct factory color , it was not plug and play at all
 I have a huge bundle of plugs taped up under there ,   my buddy wayne had the exact same problem with his and had to pay a guy to go in and snip and clip and figure out what went where on his original superbird and 1/2 the gauges are flakely now  

Hmmm....Interesting?, what was the issue with your "installation" of the 70 MH dash harness?, ....when I restored my 70 Charger, I purchased EVERY harness available from YO(M&H) front to back, top to bottom, including the dash harness (I spent over $1500 in harnesses, I didn't use one piece of original wiring, tossed it all)....on pretest, and actually first run of the car, I didn't have a single issue, 8 yrs later, nothing ever reared it's head electrically, and EVERYTHING works, even the annoying key buzzer

mike
it literly has 35 extra plugs not needed in a road runner and none of the wires where the correct factory color , it was not plug and play at all
 I have a huge bundle of plugs taped up under there ,   my buddy wayne had the exact same problem with his and had to pay a guy to go in and snip and clip and figure out what went where on his original superbird and 1/2 the gauges are flakely now
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

FJ5WING

Stuart, it sounds like you got an incorrect harness shipped to you.  :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 62 Max on May 26, 2013, 03:38:01 PM

When you are ready to get into the engine compartment let me know,there are a lot of details I can help you with.Also,get rid of the rubber fuel line.

Max, shoot away!  I hope that future people will look at this thread for knowledge from people like you. :2thumbs:

Issues-
-wiring
-fuel lines
-water bottle
-correct exhaust manifolds
-440 Super Commando pie tin ( will put the 6 pack on it in a few years)
-brake booster and master detailed black

I'll probably pull the engine in fall to do a correct detail,

1970Moparmann

Found out the "other" toggle switch in the glove box - It ran from the back of the car, up the engine compartment on the passenger side, to the alternator, as a loop, to the firewall, across to the drivers side firewall, into the car, to the toggle switch - WTF.. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:  I'm guessing it was for an electronic fuel pump from a while ago.    The other end of the toggle went to the alternator.... :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: What is the "other" blue wire supposed to be for? See below.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 27, 2013, 12:29:22 PM
Found out the "other" toggle switch in the glove box - It ran from the back of the car, up the engine compartment on the passenger side, to the alternator, as a loop, to the firewall, across to the drivers side firewall, into the car, to the toggle switch - WTF.. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:  

Mike, Dude... If you can afford it, get a new engine wiring harness. If you're going to go to a 6bbl, then get the 6bbl harness........ And when you can get to it, please get the conversion of the amp gauge to voltmeter like I did on the Daytona and my former 500. If you have a spare b-body dash with good circuit board and sacrificial amp gauge, I would send it off then use it to restore your dash. If you didn't want to do the complete silkscreen process, Dave P. sells the gauge decals. They do a great garage-resto....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

ws23rt

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 03, 2012, 01:28:08 PM
Anyone have the part number for the exhaust manifolds for a Bird?

I heard that I need to look for a September/October date.  I found the attached on Ebag, but one of them has a early November date.  :shruggy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NR-1969-1970-1971-Mopar-B-body-Mopar-exhaust-manifolds-383-440-MAGNUM-HP-NICE-/281030913945?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416ebf6f99&vxp=mtr

Hey Mike   I still have the exhaust manifolds from my 70 charger. The drivers side is cast # 2951865-2 and 12-4-69 date. The other one is 2899879 but I am not sure how to date it. (it does have the round counter weight on the heat riser).  Is that december date too late for your car?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 27, 2013, 12:55:53 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 27, 2013, 12:29:22 PM
Found out the "other" toggle switch in the glove box - It ran from the back of the car, up the engine compartment on the passenger side, to the alternator, as a loop, to the firewall, across to the drivers side firewall, into the car, to the toggle switch - WTF.. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:  

Mike, Dude... If you can afford it, get a new engine wiring harness. If you're going to go to a 6bbl, then get the 6bbl harness........ And when you can get to it, please get the conversion of the amp gauge to voltmeter like I did on the Daytona and my former 500. If you have a spare b-body dash with good circuit board and sacrificial amp gauge, I would send it off then use it to restore your dash. If you didn't want to do the complete silkscreen process, Dave P. sells the gauge decals. They do a great garage-resto....

Troy, I have an engine harness coming from Evans.  :2thumbs: 

Also have the Petronix ordered today... :2thumbs:

1970Moparmann

Quote from: ws23rt on May 27, 2013, 02:50:56 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 03, 2012, 01:28:08 PM
Anyone have the part number for the exhaust manifolds for a Bird?

I heard that I need to look for a September/October date.  I found the attached on Ebag, but one of them has a early November date.  :shruggy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NR-1969-1970-1971-Mopar-B-body-Mopar-exhaust-manifolds-383-440-MAGNUM-HP-NICE-/281030913945?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416ebf6f99&vxp=mtr

Hey Mike   I still have the exhaust manifolds from my 70 charger. The drivers side is cast # 2951865-2 and 12-4-69 date. The other one is 2899879 but I am not sure how to date it. (it does have the round counter weight on the heat riser).  Is that december date too late for your car?

Bruce, September and October dates would be correct for a Bird.  Thanks anyways.  I wound up finding a nice set in December.  On the list of "to do's"..

I would think someone would snag your up right away especially if the heat riser still works. :2thumbs:

ws23rt

You are welcome---They are on my list to list.

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 26, 2013, 08:57:27 PM
Stuart, it sounds like you got an incorrect harness shipped to you.  :shruggy:
well not acording to m&h  we were on the phone with them 50 times figuring out the stuff we have working in the car now
   wayne got the same harness
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1970Moparmann

I guess I was a little excited and wanted to get the car on the road ASAP.  Well, after spending 25 hours on it the last 4 days, I decided that I need to slow down and do it correctly how I want to, prior to getting it on the road.  The list just got about 3x in size!  :RantExplode:

Just ordered a bunch of parts and am tapped $$ wise.  :brickwall:

Time to put the Bird on the side, get my Charger on the road.  That list isn't done and want to get it close to done.  Pick it up from storage tomorrow. :2thumbs:

I hope to have the Bird on the road by Mopar Nats now.... :eek2:

1970Moparmann

Well, I made the decision that the car is going to get restored!  :cheers: :cheers:

The body shop will be ready by July 2014, so I have some time to get it apart and get the pieces I need.

Does anyone know of a media blaster they can recommend in the northern IL area?  Anywhere in the midwest is fine even.   How much does it usually cost?

Xenon

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 14, 2013, 08:39:29 PM
Does anyone know of a media blaster they can recommend in the northern IL area?  Anywhere in the midwest is fine even.   How much does it usually cost?

There is one in Joliet I have used a few times.. Never a whole body tho...
There is another in Lakemoor (Mchemry) ... Never used them at all....

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Xenon on August 14, 2013, 09:08:49 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 14, 2013, 08:39:29 PM

There is one in Joliet I have used a few times.. Never a whole body tho...
There is another in Lakemoor (Mchemry) ... Never used them at all....

Cool-  do you have names of the places?

70EK2Bird

When do you expect it to be completed?  Will you be able to make Talladega next fall?

What made you decide to go for a full restoration now?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 70EK2Bird on August 15, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
When do you expect it to be completed?  Will you be able to make Talladega next fall?

What made you decide to go for a full restoration now?

Pat, the car will be done for Talladega!  The more I get into this car, the more my decision has been to restore it.  I know I'll have some surprises with the metal, being a high mileage Midwest car, but it will be worth it.  The car just needs it.  The rear frame rails are questionable, engine needs to come out, suspension done, wiring, windshield, trans needs to be rebuilt, new clutch, windshield..... As much as these cars seem to never be done, I want to get it back to it's original color and drive the piss out of it.  If I just keep going on it now, it will be a lot of double work in the future if I restore it.   I just want to strip it down and get it done right.  I've already been buying new parts that I need. :2thumbs:  The plan is to get the car to the body shop by July (when he expects to finish the car in front of mine) and this will give me August and September and part of October to get it back together. :2thumbs:

Dave Kanofsky

That is an ambitious plan Mike, go get 'em!

We are looking for a Gene / John level of photo documentation!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on August 15, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
That is an ambitious plan Mike, go get 'em!

We are looking for a Gene / John level of photo documentation!

There will be documentation!!

RIDELIKEHELL

I promise to see it next year Mike when we are in Joliet visiting! Oh and the 68 of course  :rofl:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

1970Moparmann

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on August 15, 2013, 04:42:39 PM
I promise to see it next year Mike when we are in Joliet visiting! Oh and the 68 of course  :rofl:

Marc, the Bird won't be done in August, but I hope that the Charger is.... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:  Might just sell the damn thing at this point.   :shruggy:

70EK2Bird

1970Moparmann

Thanks Pat.

Yesterday, I drove the car about 20 miles to the storage location (Friends business), car ran ok, but did confirm the clutch and trans are bad.  The cooling system work I did in Spring is good to go though :2thumbs:.   Ran a cool 170 with the mechanical fan new Midlodon water pump and fan shroud.  The weather was about 80 only.  Traffic was a crawl for 10 miles, 2 miles lucky to be going 2 MPH.  Ran up to 190, but not higher.