News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new hemi swap = what rear end?

Started by Evelbist, March 16, 2017, 02:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

Very slightly off topic...but linked!! Do any UK or Euro members have good source for a Dana 60 in Europe. Yes they are lots cheaper in the states but the shipping, import tax and VAT (which you pay on the item, shipping and the import tax....yes that's right you pay tax on the tax!!)....make it expensive. Any ideas?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

QuoteI never said it was inadequate,lots of people run them with success. my arguement is based on when you are building it from basicly the bare housing, the dana is a no brainer regardless of your engine.  

Okay, I can understand that POV better.  

QuoteYou suggest the aluminum 8.75 chunk. That alone is 1000 dollars. Then to run your 3.23s requires custom machining on top of that. You can buy lightweight dana parts, you can get lightweight tubes. Then on top of it all, the dana uses less horsepower. If that slight difference in weight was that critical compared to hp used, especially in racing, then the dana wouldnt be under the majority of the stock and super stock drag cars.

How much weight is coming off a D60 with some lighter-weight tubes?  I don't imagine it's much.    

Tons of drag cars run Ford 9" rearends and those have a shit-ton of parasitic drag compared to either of the Mopar choices.  Most drag racers pick rearends to avoid breakage first & foremost.      

QuoteWhen it comes to the street cars and arguing unsprung weight; thats what i am refering to in my arguement on billet wheels. You are splitting hairs saying to stay away from the dana because of 50 lbs, yet the same cars are running over 50 lbs worth of 11" cast drums compared to a lighter disc setup and heavy steel wheels vs light weights.

I wouldn't expect a person who is running cast drums & heavy steel wheels to be sweating the unsprung weight issue.  Just like a person running a 318 wouldn't be sweating the axle breakage issue.

Some people say I'm splitting hairs when I gripe about a repro (iron) engine block having an extra 50-90 lbs of iron in it.  I say it makes that "lightweight small-block" weigh like a stock B/RB.  Different strokes I guess.  The importance of weight is subject to a lot of personal opinions.   

I never said a D60 was a bad move.  I just pointed out that it has some cons as well as the pros.