News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

unrestored Black 69 charger R/T

Started by tan top, February 08, 2018, 04:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 24, 2018, 04:59:59 PM
I agree with most of that.....but if it's had a complete exterior repaint, rather then just touch up or perhaps crash damage repair...then is not unrestored. Just my 2 pence worth.

restored is what it says. made like it was when NEW, that would be EVERYTHING , not just a repaint, Challenger340's car has original paint door jams,underhood, almost everything on the car is original it is NOT a restored car,,, FACT !!!!  it is an AWESOME car
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Troy

So the passenger front fender is kind of cropped in most of the pictures but it's possible the rust along the front edge could be from it being wrecked/dented.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

The apparent image editing as mentioned above...

I didn't resize the pictures because I didn't want to introduce any artifacts. You can see that the rocker has been blurred out (in the first picture they took out the door gap so I know this isn't just flat black spray paint on the car itself). The lower rear valance corner looks odd too.

So any way, you're looking at at least a front fender, trunk drop downs, lower quarters, and rockers as far as body work. The lower valance itself isn't visible in any pictures and I'd want to see some frame details based on the size of the holes in the lower body. Unless you feel like spending $70k just to drive a cool car (nearly $100k if your Canadian), you're going to have to dump a decent amount into it to get the metal solid (then paint to match which will make the chrome and interior look like garbage and so on).

Troy

Challenger340

Yeah, my guess from the Pics is probably too far gone for the "repair" route in sustaining sufficient originality to warrant that, but seeing as how the Seller would seem to be at least suggesting a portion of the asking price to that viability ?  it seemed worthy to me anyways to discuss that option, get opinions, as anyone considering buying the Car should ? (NOT me).
I mean he is also claiming 74,000 original miles here ? with the rust showing, which IMO may suggest an eastern rust belt Car to have those issues at THAT mileage ?

Personally, I think BUYING a Car for $60K that invariably will need another $40-$50K in total resto might be NUTS !

That front fender rust is weird ?
IMO, indicative of potentially far greater unseen issues.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Troy

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 26, 2018, 12:58:32 PM
Yeah, my guess from the Pics is probably too far gone for the "repair" route in sustaining sufficient originality to warrant that, but seeing as how the Seller would seem to be at least suggesting a portion of the asking price to that viability ?  it seemed worthy to me anyways to discuss that option, get opinions, as anyone considering buying the Car should ? (NOT me).
I mean he is also claiming 74,000 original miles here ? with the rust showing, which IMO may suggest an eastern rust belt Car to have those issues at THAT mileage ?

Personally, I think BUYING a Car for $60K that invariably will need another $40-$50K in total resto might be NUTS !

I live in Ohio. Every time I've seen a Charger with rust like that front fender the bottom of the car has been just as bad. Granted, you sometimes get strange rust on these cars depending on where they were sitting (outside under a tree for example), whether the tires were flat, and so on. I've seen fairly solid cars with one or two spots of inexplicable rust. This car does not seem like one of them. The fact that the pictures have clearly been "doctored" reinforces my belief in this.

I do feel like it's rare and should be restored (not a chance I'd drive it "as is") - but it has to be at a price that makes it worthwhile. You can ask $300k for the remnants of a Hemi Daytona but I doubt it will get much real interest. With prices the way they are today, I think it could sell for some ridiculous amount - but that amount is still far less than the asking price.

Troy

Challenger340

Quote from: Troy on February 26, 2018, 01:52:59 PM
Quote from: Challenger340 on February 26, 2018, 12:58:32 PM
Yeah, my guess from the Pics is probably too far gone for the "repair" route in sustaining sufficient originality to warrant that, but seeing as how the Seller would seem to be at least suggesting a portion of the asking price to that viability ?  it seemed worthy to me anyways to discuss that option, get opinions, as anyone considering buying the Car should ? (NOT me).

I live in Ohio. Every time I've seen a Charger with rust like that front fender the bottom of the car has been just as bad. Granted, you sometimes get strange rust on these cars depending on where they were sitting (outside under a tree for example), whether the tires were flat, and so on. I've seen fairly solid cars with one or two spots of inexplicable rust. This car does not seem like one of them. The fact that the pictures have clearly been "doctored" reinforces my belief in this.

I do feel like it's rare and should be restored (not a chance I'd drive it "as is") - but it has to be at a price that makes it worthwhile. You can ask $300k for the remnants of a Hemi Daytona but I doubt it will get much real interest. With prices the way they are today, I think it could sell for some ridiculous amount - but that amount is still far less than the asking price.

Troy

Home sick with a head cold and bored today, so I researched the owner feedback on Ebay.
Very curiously to me anyways, was his feedback shows this Charger as SOLD during it's prior auction for $65,400 ?
see here:
https://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=bpj07&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc

It even has the feedback from the Buyer as "AAA I'm very satisfied" ?

Yet now it's relisted ?
Someone is paying some handsome Ebay Fee's on that prior auction showing "completed" !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

6bblgt

eBay fees for a completed reserve auction are somewhere around $127 - hardly "handsome" for someone with some big $$$ cars