News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about building a home.....

Started by tcs69rt, December 20, 2018, 10:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcs69rt

I guess this is more for a lawyer but am interested in opinions here. Sales flyer i was given over the summer showed the garage on my future home as a 22 x 24 INSIDE measurement. I still have it. The plans the builder submitted to the city were never shown or approved by me. The garage outside measurements are actually 24 x 21 once foundation was in. So now my INSIDE measurements are 23 x 20. The wifes Durango will fit.

Now as I go to their website I see this on the garage. Hmm? They changed it when I called them out. Should I be asking for a price reduction at closing?. I also said what other rooms were cut down? How do I know I'm getting what I am paying for? Thanks. TC
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

Kern Dog

All square footage of homes are calculated by the size of the foundation or to the outside of the walls. You lose 4" on 2x4 walls and 6" on 2x6 walls. Interior walls eat up area as does stair cases. Rarely will you find anyone quoting actual useable square footage numbers by deducting the area that the walls occupy.
I don't see your situation as an effort to mislead anyone, just an error in how the dwelling was measured.

NHCharger

I built houses for years. As KD said garage measurements are usually taken from the outside edge of the foundation. Rooms inside the house are generally finish to finish. Although I have known some shady builders that have stretched the truth on measurements. 
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

b5blue

You will most likely find the letters "MOL" someplace. That's "More or Less" and a disclaimer to exact dimensions stated. Plumbing, electrical and HVAC placed in foundations a bit off can shift walls that effect other areas. (Many trades don't always have someone sharp in layout prior to concrete.) Don't be shocked if actual and planned differ. (As a framer I've had to do some creative layout.) 

stripedelete

Don't assume ceiling hieght either.

Btw, I like the layout.

Hard Charger

you have no case to go back to the builder.

draftingmonkey

By chance do you have a contract with the builder and if so was there any mention of client plan approval before submittal to the building department anywhere in the contract? From what I read you never saw a set of dimensioned plans before submittal, so if it was in the contract you may have some leverage. Without some form of pre-submittal agreement, in writing, like the others have mentioned you are most likely out of luck.

Lesson here folks....always make sure you have pre-approval power of the plans before submittal and review dimensions carefully especially in regards to garages for our cars. Make sure to keep a copy of the approved plan.
Also, make sure any changes to the plans for whatever reasons are approved by you and keep a copy of the updated plans.

Hard Charger

there are a lot of variables here but your best plan of action is to appeal to your builders sensibility and decide how important this issue is to you.