News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 weight?

Started by 01MOPAR, January 17, 2007, 03:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

01MOPAR

does anyone know how much a complete 440 engine weighs ?

Zeikjds

Alot
Sorry I had to! I dont personally know but someone will step in

defiance

I know the block is in the 250 range... I don't know for certain, but I think an assembled long block is in the 600# range?

mikepmcs

I googled and found a thread that said 670.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

wooohoooo, i contributed today.
Ron agrees, i'm a happy man!!! :icon_smile_big:
glad to help

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

THE CHARGER PUNK

Troy

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 17, 2007, 07:02:23 PM
390-400lbs
Without the intake, heads, water pump, crank, rods and pistons?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 17, 2007, 07:02:23 PM
390-400lbs

maybe a short block...         I weighed a complete 440 at the shop and got 683lbs...     not far off of 670lbs...    so...   this weight also included alternator, backets, pullies, belts, PS pump, flexplate....    only thing it didnt have on it was a carb/air cleaner....
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dave571

What did you use to weigh it?

I Shipped one on a pallet.

69 440 TNT complete with hp maifolds.  Air cleaner.  No carb or distributor, but everything else was there.

Guy weighed it at 850 pounds on the big shipping scale.  I doubt the small wooden pallet weighed more than  20 or 30 pounds

defiance

Pine or Oak  ;D  I built palletts back in the day - standard size Oak palletts can be in the 40-50# range.  Average is probably 25-30, though. 

That still puts it over 800 with all accessories.  Based on that, I'd guess my 'shot in the dark' on a long block was probably low-balled; maybe 700? 

So:

Block: 250-range?
Short Block: 500-range?
Long Block: 700-range?
+acc/ect: 800-825-range?

Based on what's been said so far on this thread, that would be my guess.  I'm pretty sure on the bare block weight, though :)

Blakcharger440

Looks like we are getting numbers that are all over the place with 150 to 200 lbs difference on some accounts.

dave571

Like I said, mine was weighed on a  shipping scale. 
That could be waaay out I guess.  Maybe it was normally used for heavier things ,so the cal was off.

That's why I was curious what Rolling thunder used to weigh his.

Bottom line...it's heavy :icon_smile_big: