News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driving during "lock-down"

Started by lloyd3, March 26, 2020, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

It snowed here last night so, nothing car-related today. The seriously cheap gas and the much-lighter traffic does indeed help with the shack-nasties, at least for me. When things finally warm up here again I'll be doing more local shopping with the car.  Count on it.

darbgnik

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 28, 2020, 12:09:59 PM
No driving for us....except local trips to get food....its not the driving they worry about...could not infect anyone from your car ....its the destination and who you will have contact with when you get there....that and contact with folk at the fuel stations....none of my cars have moved since Monday.....and Im not allowed out now (food, 1/2 hour exercise with no contact with others) until 1st May at the earliest. It does grate with me some of you guys treating it so lightly...like its not happening or some big conspiracy.......watch some of the Italian hospital footage...you might not be so light hearted about it then.....and because you were so slow to act it will very probably be much worse over there.....your infection rate is already far higher than any other country (just numbers....not per capita). It wont be quite so funny as you watch one of you older relatives slowly suffocate to death due to lack of ventilators....that happening all over the world as i write this......

My train of thought is somewhere between the "liberty or death" types, and the "give government 100% control of your life" types.  Any good ideas on helping flatten the curve, and I'm all ears and actions. But it has to make sense, to everyone. It has to actually help the cause, not just make everyone feel better.

That being said, not being allowed to drive because you might be going somewhere you aren't supposed to be or you might come close to someone, seems an awful lot like not being allowed to drive a car because you might be impaired? But, seeing that I'm in Canada, I'm sure that the most ridiculous rules enacted anywhere else will be enacted here. With the reasoning of better safe than sorry outperforming what is actually shown to work. It's a slippery slope folks.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Back N Black

Quote from: darbgnik on March 28, 2020, 11:48:01 PM
Quote from: alfaitalia on March 28, 2020, 12:09:59 PM
No driving for us....except local trips to get food....its not the driving they worry about...could not infect anyone from your car ....its the destination and who you will have contact with when you get there....that and contact with folk at the fuel stations....none of my cars have moved since Monday.....and Im not allowed out now (food, 1/2 hour exercise with no contact with others) until 1st May at the earliest. It does grate with me some of you guys treating it so lightly...like its not happening or some big conspiracy.......watch some of the Italian hospital footage...you might not be so light hearted about it then.....and because you were so slow to act it will very probably be much worse over there.....your infection rate is already far higher than any other country (just numbers....not per capita). It wont be quite so funny as you watch one of you older relatives slowly suffocate to death due to lack of ventilators....that happening all over the world as i write this......

My train of thought is somewhere between the "liberty or death" types, and the "give government 100% control of your life" types.  Any good ideas on helping flatten the curve, and I'm all ears and actions. But it has to make sense, to everyone. It has to actually help the cause, not just make everyone feel better.

That being said, not being allowed to drive because you might be going somewhere you aren't supposed to be or you might come close to someone, seems an awful lot like not being allowed to drive a car because you might be impaired? But, seeing that I'm in Canada, I'm sure that the most ridiculous rules enacted anywhere else will be enacted here. With the reasoning of better safe than sorry outperforming what is actually shown to work. It's a slippery slope folks.

Do you still have lots of snow in Alberta? I had the Charger out around the block yesterday. I'm in New Brunswick. Stay Safe.

kokxville

I did  :icon_smile_cool: The weather was nice so i took my car for a cruise yesterday  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEX3jHJaVw8&feature=youtu.be
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

lloyd3

The snow is almost gone here and the roads are dry again. After almost 2-weeks of being house-bound, my 16-year old is getting a little hinky (to tell the truth...so am I). He can't even visit his new girlfriend for a pleasant distraction (anybody here remember what that was like?).  So....after a few chores get done here we'll be rolling the old '68 out for a little toot to burn up some of that cheap premium fuel. The roads are so empty now, I don't even get worked up when he's driving it (a mixed blessing, eh?).

darbgnik

Quote from: Back N Black on March 29, 2020, 08:30:44 AM

Do you still have lots of snow in Alberta? I had the Charger out around the block yesterday. I'm in New Brunswick. Stay Safe.

It was almost gone. Then it started snowing 3 days ago and hasn't stopped....... adds to the cabin fever for sure.

And you as well.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Brass

I'm taking this all very seriously.  At the same time, there is no human interaction to get to my car.  There is no human interaction driving my car.  There is no human interaction putting it away.  The only possible exception is getting gas, and even then, you can keep social distancing, and use hand sanitizer before and after using the pump.  Gloves may even be better.  I live in Washington state, and we haven't been barred from taking a walk yet.  I'm more likely to encounter people (at a distance) doing that than driving the car.  At least that's my current perspective.

VegasCharger

The term "Social Distancing" is a joke. Who in the hell made it up?? Why not just say "keep your distance". What does social have anything to do with keeping a space between yourself and any other human being?? I mean if you're keeping "Distant" from others you're not being social, correct??

I'll use the default card and blame the millennials. :smilielol:

:cheers:

alfaitalia

It's not a new phrase...it's just one that you don't hear outside country's with regular epidemics. Anyone seen the film "Contagion"?...it was on here the other night....nice timing. It's about a worldwide flu virus spreading across the planet!....a much worse one than covid19. Lots of the phrases we here like social distancing and lockdown etc etc...are used in the film...it was made in 2011. Quite a good watch...even if you just watch it to see how easily viruses spread.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 30, 2020, 06:42:18 PM
It's not a new phrase...it's just one that you don't hear outside country's with regular epidemics.
A lot of Americans don't like the bullshit Politically correct phrases like this one.

Mike DC

:Twocents:

"Social Distancing" is just a simple phrase to explain something.  "Keep your distance" takes longer to say and it doesn't reference the disease issue specifically.

I don't see anything PC about giving the idea that label.  It doesn't make any reference to race or gender or politics. 

Kern Dog

Sanitation engineer.
Human resources.
How about those ?

Mike DC

QuoteSanitation engineer.
Human resources.
How about those ?

I get what you're saying.  I just don't think "social distancing" is quite like that.  It's a set of specific guidelines tailored to fight the disease.  If it didn't have this name then it would probably have gotten some other name. 

VegasCharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 30, 2020, 07:21:01 PM....."Keep your distance" takes longer to say.....

WRONG!!!

Social Distancing - 5 syllables.
Keep your distant = 4 syllables.

:nana:

6pkrtse

My Son and I took the red 70 out yesterday for several hours and went down to our local park.
However, a buddy of mine was out and on his way home from Home Depot (he is his own contracting business). He was buying supplies for a house he is working on. He got pulled over and got a $500.00 citation claiming working on someone's kitchen is not considered essential. He is going to fight it.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

lloyd3

This can't last much longer as our country will wither eventually.  I found out today that my work is starting up again next week (on a couple of military bases).  I'm done sweating about getting this bedamnedable virus. If you're not moving forward you're slowly dying anyway.  Let's get on with it...

Kern Dog

American spirit...I like that !   :2thumbs:

ht4spd307

Quote from: 6pkrtse on April 03, 2020, 11:38:05 AM
My Son and I took the red 70 out yesterday for several hours and went down to our local park.
However, a buddy of mine was out and on his way home from Home Depot (he is his own contracting business). He was buying supplies for a house he is working on. He got pulled over and got a $500.00 citation claiming working on someone's kitchen is not considered essential. He is going to fight it.

Wow that sucks so the guys trying to stay afloat trying to feed his family & for that gets a slap in the face. If your not mixing with the masses & not passing the virus on that don't make sense .These governments are taking advantage of this situation sounds like the path to the New World Order

Kern Dog

Keep your eyes open to the potential abuse of power that they will try on you.  :eek2:

Birdflu

Just curious...what state was this in?

Mike DC

QuoteWRONG!!!

Social Distancing - 5 syllables.
Keep your distant = 4 syllables.

myk

Quote from: Birdflu on April 03, 2020, 10:16:31 PM

Just curious...what state was this in?

Was it the same state that the police fined a surfer $1,000 for being out in the ocean?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

lloyd3

"Never let a crisis go to waste" seems to be the motto of many politicians these days.  I'm looking at transporting my car by trailer up to Boulder to a friends place (he has a big shop with a lift) to do some transmission work.  The big concern he had was how that might appear to the local constabulary since we're under lock-down here in Colorado.  His point was that the car would clearly not be confused with a critical need "work-related" vehicle and...he's right.  Down here in mostly conservative Douglas County, I'm guessing that nobody would bother us. Up in wacko-liberal Boulder...who knows?

Nacho-RT74

the longer you don't take seriouslly the lockdown at this moment, the harder will become the fight on the long therm. And you are already into 8.5K deaths in 2 weeks. More than the 11S and faster than Italy and Spain.

Just saying.

and wait! you have a good neighborghood around without resources to fight the virus, sooooo...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Kern Dog

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 05, 2020, 09:32:59 AM
the longer you don't take seriouslly the lockdown at this moment, the harder will become the fight on the long term.

Maybe....O R,
The healthy people get it, get through it,  then society returns to normal faster.