News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has done the carpet on the console?

Started by Spartan, October 07, 2005, 09:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I took off my old carpet on the console but of course there is glue stuck to the sides of it and a few strands of carpet. Do you have to remove the glue and strands before I put the new pieces on or can I put it on right over it?  Also, my console is a little dull and a few light spots (nothing major).  Is there some product that will work to shine it up? 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sparty
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

8WHEELER

I would get most of the strands off at least but leaving the glue on is not a problem, I have
done it several times and I use some 3M contact spray glue holds well.
Once the console has faded thats it live with it or re paint the hole thing, never seen anything
that would help make it look better.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

:yesnod: What he said.  I tried a bunch of things on my console and finally gave up and just repainted it.

Spartan

Thanks guys.  Its actually in too nice of shape to repaint it.  I was just being a little too picky about trying to get it to showroom condition.  I keep forgetting its not 2 years old but 36 years old.    I used some goo gone to remove the old glue on the side and with a little elbow grease it came off.  I tried acitone first but it started taking off the finish along with the glue so I stopped.  I used a watered down version of it to take a minor discoloration off and it worked good without melting it in that form.   After that,  I took a scrub brush and removed any dirt or kling-ons remaining.  After that, I just took a little armor all and wiped it down.  It looks pretty good.  I am debating if I want to paint the black on the console type but the door is really the only problem, the rest are mint.  A little rust behind the trim but nothing visable from the outside.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Spartan

I was trying to fit up the carpet on the console.  There seems to be a fold over on the bottom sideof the carpet and it does not seem to be a glue on and your done.  Are you supposed to to trim these pieces and how much is supposed to hang over the end?  Mine was void of the passenger side and the driver was shot so I just want to make sure I get it right.  I always get nervous of cutting cuz you can't add it on if you do it wrong.

Ghoste

I don't think it's correct, but on mine I left a small flap to take up the void and folded it under.

Spartan

I had to cut a couple notches for the drivers side for the molding tabs and glued it down.  I am using the 3m trim spray glue.  This kit did come with the bottom edge folded over and fused to the back side of the console kit, driver and passenger are that way.  Hopefully the glue takes.  messing with the passenger side now.  It does not line up as well as the drivers side.  We shall see.

Spartan

I balanced out the passenger piece to do the least amount of cutting.  I trimmed part of the top back and notched it so is slid up and was covered by the entire molding.  Looks pretty good.  I have books and a board under the drivers side to give some pressure to hold the glue down there.  We will see how it looks tomorow after the glue sets.  Maybe I will start putting the hardware back on and take a few pics.  I do have to figure how to align the door on the console glove box though. And figure out what color to paint the side of the trans gear indicator (my light blue along the side of it is flaking off is seems.