News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Radio/CD player in a 68 Charger?

Started by Corellian Corvette, June 11, 2006, 08:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

One thing I'd like to do when my charger arrives is upgrade the AM radio.

On the GM cars I have, I've been a fan of the Custom Autosound units because the fit in the stock location.

I notice that CA doesn't have radios for MOPAR - so does anyone reproduce a standard DIN radio plate for a 68 charger? Are people hacking up the originals?

I really want to get the cool tunes going in the car - wonder what my options are. I'm not a big fan of the "secret audio" or under-dash solution if I can help it.

Thanks!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 11, 2006, 08:03:15 AM

On the GM cars I have, I've been a fan of the Custom Autosound units because the fit in the stock location.

I notice that CA doesn't have radios for MOPAR - so does anyone reproduce a standard DIN radio plate for a 68 charger? Are people hacking up the originals?

I really want to get the cool tunes going in the car - wonder what my options are. I'm not a big fan of the "secret audio" or under-dash solution if I can help it.

Thanks!

Welcome to Mopar!  You will find that there are NOT lots of reproduction items out there.

I have heard of some taking an old style radio and basically making it new inside but still look old outside and go from there to your regular amps and speakers.  There are also some in trunk solutions that run a remote or wire control up to you so you can control things. Otherwise you have to hack or mount below dash. Hacking is getting to be a no no as bezels and dash frame stuff is hard to find and hard to find in good shape now.

Just remember this isnt a Camaro or a Mustang.   You cut or butcher something up you live with it. You arent gonna make a phone call and order reproduction replacements.

Todd

Corellian Corvette

I noticed on Jacks Auto Parts they correct a correct style radio trim plate. I guess I was wondering if one of those could be cut for DIN style - or is there something behind that trim plate that would prevent it.

2Gunz

I hacked mine up years ago.  And it looked really good.

Heres a pic of it. Its dusty as hell because Im in the process of repainting the car.

But you get the idea.

BronzeOnSteelies

There a couple threads on the board that might have some info for you. If you search "radios".....Some threads are entitled:

Radio Bezel

Anyone care to "share" their hidden CD Players

Fitting a CD player in a 68 Charger
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

mopar1968

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 11, 2006, 08:03:15 AM

Thanks!

Check with Year One.  www.yearone.com

They have a "DIN" replacement radio bezel for Road Runner.  http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1

Maybe it will fit the Charger too??  Maybe small modification??  See what they say.

Corellian Corvette

Yeah I was wondering about that...

Does anyone know who else sells the 68 repro radio plates? I was going to cut one of those instead of my original one, but I called Jack's auto and they say they're discontinued?!