News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Body Design Quarter Install

Started by nitrousn, April 20, 2008, 09:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrousn

Here is some pics and info on my install. I posted this on moparts as well. Here is my original post and pics.
When we first trial fitted the panel we questioned the fit. We had good lines before with all the old panels. when we first trial fitted the panel we felt either the car moved when the old panel was removed or the panel was stamped wrong. We did all kinds of measureing and could not find anything off enough to explain what we were seeing. A better clean up of the sub structure and some minor alterations and the panel is starting to fit. We were for the most part over reacting. Of couse with high dollar panels a guy has the right to be concerned. My body man is very anal and cautious so he will not make mistakes and have more work later. These are the classic body design panels. Ron lushia has done a beautiful job of creating a panel equal or better than OEM. http://www.classicbodydesigns.com/index.html

nitrousn

nitrousn

3.- I will post more when we start to tack it in place.

suntech

Looks great!
Is it a little low in the front?? Looks like it on the marked body lines, top of door, and gap towards the rocker. Or is it just the light?? Beautiful piece though!! :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

nitrousn

Its not in place fully. Thie pics I posted are the first fitting and our initial thoughts. We have since made minor alterations and better clean up of the sub structure which has allowed a better fit and truer body lines. Its very hard to get a the spot welds drilled and seperating the panel without some sub structure twisting. These are a big panel and just the slightest burr or extra spot weld causes the panel not to fit.

Charger-Bodie

I personally would never install a major panel on any car while suspended on a rotisserie.  :Twocents:

On the wheels for me.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger_Fan

That brand-new quarter panel is a thing of beauty, I tell ya!! :drool5:

Thanks for the pics. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

suntech

QuoteI personally would never install a major panel on any car while suspended on a rotisserie.
I will do mine on a frame jig, after getting everything according to specs. Then change quarters and install the frame connectors.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

69*F5*SE

Cool, thanks for posting.  Although, I agree with 1hot68 that the car should be off the rotisserie to have them installed. Too much body twist or movement possible making it more difficult to get things to line up.  Just my  :Twocents:

nitrousn

Quote from: suntech on April 20, 2008, 10:41:10 AM
QuoteI personally would never install a major panel on any car while suspended on a rotisserie.
I will do mine on a frame jig, after getting everything according to specs. Then change quarters and install the frame connectors.

Thats what one would think. So please read further. I already had installed the full length weld in sub frame connectors. We were making observations and notes on the first trial fitting. I told my body man that maybe we should support the car on stands. We placed 4 stands in the torque box areas and lowered the car down to relive the load from the rotissorie. The result was absolutely no change. My car is very solid and all the sub structure and floors are in place. Now if you have floors removed and other structure items then yes being on a rotissorie could be an issue. Like I said we had zero change from the rotissorie to the jack stands on my car. The sub-frame connectors being welded fully makes the car extremely rigid.

nitrousn

Here is one sub frame connector pic.

suntech

QuoteThats what one would think. So please read further. I already had installed the full length weld in sub frame connectors. We were making observations and notes on the first trial fitting. I told my body man that maybe we should support the car on stands. We placed 4 stands in the torque box areas and lowered the car down to relive the load from the rotissorie. The result was absolutely no change. My car is very solid and all the sub structure and floors are in place. Now if you have floors removed and other structure items then yes being on a rotissorie could be an issue. Like I said we had zero change from the rotissorie to the jack stands on my car. The sub-frame connectors being welded fully makes the car extremely rigid.
Thanks for posting that :2thumbs:
This answers something a lot of us has opinions of, but not really know, or have tested.
Is that XV connectors, or US Car Tool? guess they are the same....just qurious!! How did they fit the floor??

nitrousn

Quote from: suntech on April 20, 2008, 02:34:23 PM
QuoteThats what one would think. So please read further. I already had installed the full length weld in sub frame connectors. We were making observations and notes on the first trial fitting. I told my body man that maybe we should support the car on stands. We placed 4 stands in the torque box areas and lowered the car down to relive the load from the rotissorie. The result was absolutely no change. My car is very solid and all the sub structure and floors are in place. Now if you have floors removed and other structure items then yes being on a rotissorie could be an issue. Like I said we had zero change from the rotissorie to the jack stands on my car. The sub-frame connectors being welded fully makes the car extremely rigid.
Thanks for posting that :2thumbs:
This answers something a lot of us has opinions of, but not really know, or have tested.
Is that XV connectors, or US Car Tool? guess they are the same....just qurious!! How did they fit the floor??

The connectors are US car tool. I bought them from Mancini racing. The fit was fair to poor depending how you rate them. They took about 2 hours each to fit the pan and about an hour for the emergency cable holes. I put in all the hemi spring mount plates, pinion plate, shackle plate, and rear torque boxes. Do not use the Auto Rust Technition pieces. They were horrible and I sent them back. The ones Domingo/Resto Rick sell are very nice and worth the extra money. I cant imagine putting any of these items in with a car on jack stands. My car is a bare shell/tub and on the rotissorie it is a very easy and comfortable job.

hemi-hampton

I have a Question, Did you cut the original 1/4's off while it was on or off Rotiserrie? :scratchchin: LEON.

nitrousn

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 20, 2008, 06:58:16 PM
I have a Question, Did you cut the original 1/4's off while it was on or off Rotiserrie? :scratchchin: LEON.

On.

69*F5*SE

Can you take a shot of the backside of the of the panel with the trunk lid down showing inner sail panel and trunk lip etc. Greatly appreciated.   :2thumbs:  Ted

B5 Charger

This may be a stupid question but how much are those quarters?  I went to their website but there are no prices listed. 

bill440rt

Damn nitrousn, that 1/4 looks like it fits pretty good to me!!  :drool5: :drool5:  :2thumbs:

Car is looking great!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

nitrousn

Quote from: bill440rt on April 22, 2008, 03:30:12 PM
Damn nitrousn, that 1/4 looks like it fits pretty good to me!!  :drool5: :drool5:  :2thumbs:

Car is looking great!

Thanks Bill , But I have to admit a long way from great. Hopefully next year this time she will be ready for a maiden voyage. Hows your project comming?

nitrousn

Quote from: B5 Charger on April 21, 2008, 02:28:30 PM
This may be a stupid question but how much are those quarters?  I went to their website but there are no prices listed. 

Call and talk to Ron. He is a great guy and will work with you. I waited for a year for the AMD quarters and all they tell me is I am on the list. Ron had them and was willing to make me a decent deal. In my opinion they are way nicer than the AMD panels. Plus they are designed, stamped and sold in AMERICA. That should mean something.

nitrousn

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on April 21, 2008, 01:28:17 PM
Can you take a shot of the backside of the of the panel with the trunk lid down showing inner sail panel and trunk lip etc. Greatly appreciated.   :2thumbs:  Ted

Ted I will post more pics soon.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: nitrousn on April 22, 2008, 04:57:37 PM

Call and talk to Ron. He is a great guy and will work with you. I waited for a year for the AMD quarters and all they tell me is I am on the list. Ron had them and was willing to make me a decent deal. In my opinion they are way nicer than the AMD panels. Plus they are designed, stamped and sold in AMERICA. That should mean something.

How can they be nicer than the AMD 1/4 panels when the AMD panels arent out yet?  :shruggy:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69*F5*SE

The Classic Body Design quarters are 18 gauge where as I believe the AMD quarters are to be 20 gauge.

nitrousn

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 22, 2008, 05:06:36 PM
Quote from: nitrousn on April 22, 2008, 04:57:37 PM

How can they be nicer than the AMD 1/4 panels when the AMD panels arent out yet?  :shruggy:

They are out and people have installed them. You just have to be on the waiting list.