News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fram oil filter

Started by metcoll, May 23, 2008, 01:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metcoll

is the fram PH8A the proper oil filter for a 440.........thx

Charger-Bodie

Yes , BUT Fram filters are crap so dont use it!  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

NHCharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on May 23, 2008, 01:54:55 PM
Yes , BUT Fram filters are crap so dont use it!  :Twocents:

:iagree:
I read a report comparing different oil filters, not good for Fram.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

firefighter3931

Use a Napa Gold or Wix oil filter....run away from Fram !  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Don't use fram they are bad news..

mikepmcs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 23, 2008, 11:19:19 PM
Use a Napa Gold or Wix oil filter....run away from Fram !  :P

Ron

+1
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

pettybird

purolator gold are excellent, as well.

since that's the filter media inside factory Motorcraft filters, and they're at Auto Zone, that's what I run! 

funny...i don't miss that oil starvation knock at startup ;)

ACUDANUT

I have never had or heard of Fram being junk ???

Blown70

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 24, 2008, 11:16:50 AM

Ohh they come apart and clog up certain places oil should be going......

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ACUDANUT

Okay, Where is the recall then ????

Ghoste

Just because there isn't a recall doesn't mean they aren't junk.  How many Lada's were ever recalled?

John_Kunkel

Here's how it works, a hack does an eyeball evaluation of Fram filters and proclaims them substandard, posts that on the internet and everybody who ever had a problem that they claim is related to the Fram filter jumps in and the result is predictable.

Of course, the millions of satisfied Fram users are never heard from, only the negatives get passed on.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1BAD68

I have to agree, I've been using fram for years and years and never a problem

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on May 24, 2008, 04:01:27 PM
Just because there isn't a recall doesn't mean they aren't junk.  How many Lada's were ever recalled?

:lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dads_69

I've used Fram oil filters for over 25 years, no problems to report either about them. Once again, one guy gets a bad filter and like they say, bad news travels faster then good news.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 24, 2008, 04:16:13 PM

Here's how it works, a hack does an eyeball evaluation of Fram filters and proclaims them substandard, posts that on the internet and everybody who ever had a problem that they claim is related to the Fram filter jumps in and the result is predictable.

Of course, the millions of satisfied Fram users are never heard from, only the negatives get passed on.

I have to agree. I've cut open Fram and other brands of filters. Frams are a cheaply built filter compared to other brands.  But, I've removed hundreds if not thousands of Fram filters from perfectly good engines over the years.  Personally I would want a better filter, but Frams seem to be good enough for most applications.  :shruggy:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Plumcrazy on May 24, 2008, 07:58:30 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 24, 2008, 04:16:13 PM

I have to agree. I've cut open Fram and other brands of filters. Frams are a cheaply built filter compared to other brands.  But, I've removed hundreds if not thousands of Fram filters from perfectly good engines over the years.  Personally I would want a better filter, but Frams seem to be good enough for most applications.  :shruggy:

you've said it perfectly, "most applications" but if I run $5000 engine I wouldn't put $5 fram oil filter on it. A few extra bucks spent on good quality filter K&N, etc is well worth it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

crash

i've seen fram filters suck shut on race engines before and ruin a race engine, a couple times, they may be ok for that gasaver that you drive but nothing high output and i'd change it very often, me personally, wix.  i've seen cut opens of oil filters before, with wix, k&n, motorcraft, fram, delco, and the wix and k&n's seem to be the better designs.

Mfr426

I've run Fram for years on my Acuras and never had an issue. I still like Fram for my daily drivers but I used a NAPA Gold on the 505 ( based on Ron's recommendations).

firefighter3931

Quote from: Plumcrazy on May 24, 2008, 07:58:30 PM
Frams are a cheaply built filter compared to other brands.  But, I've removed hundreds if not thousands of Fram filters from perfectly good engines over the years.  Personally I would want a better filter, but Frams seem to be good enough for most applications.  :shruggy:

I tend to agree with Paul here...Frams are poorly built but they used to be a very good filter. I suppose the outsourcing deal has hurt quality control  :P

For a daily driver with limited high RPM use i suppose they would be adequate but on a hot street motor with increased oil pressure (HV oil pump) and some high rpm abuse i don't trust them.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

aifilaw

Quote from: dads_69 on May 24, 2008, 07:02:17 PM
I've used Fram oil filters for over 25 years, no problems to report either about them. Once again, one guy gets a bad filter and like they say, bad news travels faster then good news.

I have to agree, Before I knew any better I ran fram on everything. Never had a problem. Now I run WIX only, can't find puro here. I just want to have the best, and its clear although its not catastrophically bad, fram is not the best
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

dads_69

I never said Fram was the best. I have used Fram on daily drivers since high school. Starting in '82. Motors for track I used either factory Mopar or Wix. When we owned a new Dodge ram w/a 5.7 and 5.9... Dealer said they will only warranty motor if we used factory filter and not after market brand.
I use factory Ford oil filters for what wife and I drive now, Fram on whatever else I have thats not track driven.
I also run K/N air filters, some people call them engine killers as well, I say whatever to that theory as well.
My point is, I have yet to loose a motor due to oil filter or air filter brands.
Now I only hope I haven't jinxed myself!  :icon_smile_big:

Edit: Most importantly, what brand of motor oil do most of us use? I can read the headline now, if Fram made a motor oil, we'd all hear, Fram oil sucks...
remember the old saying, * Quaker State is the best*. Pennzoil sucks, then so on about others motor oil is the best......
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

ACUDANUT

I use fram on every Mopar I own. I Never had a problem.  I always was always told, WIX was JUNK.  :Twocents:

aifilaw

Quote from: dads_69 on May 25, 2008, 12:53:16 PM
Edit: Most importantly, what brand of motor oil do most of us use? I can read the headline now, if Fram made a motor oil, we'd all hear, Fram oil sucks...
remember the old saying, * Quaker State is the best*. Pennzoil sucks, then so on about others motor oil is the best......

I've seen the 3rd party and the chemical engineer full test and analysis on motor oils, and that is why I only use Rotella for all my conventional, and I used to use Mobil 1 for all my synthetics until they changed it up, now I use purple. Gotta do the additive on even the rotella though for a standard flat tappet hydraulic cam.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads