News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

YOU GOT GENERAL QUESTIONS ON MOPAR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS? CLICK HERE...

Started by RD, September 06, 2009, 09:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

FIRST AND FOREMOST, ALL PICTURES FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK ARE COPYRIGHTED BY JOHN KUNKEL, ANY REDISTRIBUTION OF THESE PICTURES WITHOUT THE VERBAL OR WRITTEN CONSENT OF JOHN KUNKEL WILL GET YOU A ASS WHOOPIN.... NOW THAT THE LEGALESE IS OUT OF THE WAY.
THE FOLLOWING LINK WILL HAVE ALL PHOTOS YOU NEED TO HELP WITH EVERYTHING BELOW... I ADVISE TO OPEN UP JOHN'S LINK IN A DIFFERENT WINDOW AS YOU SCROLL THROUGH THIS THREAD IF YOU REQUIRE MORE, IN-DEPTH PHOTOS.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563460286dArKFK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Often I (or John Kunkel) or anyone for that matter asks to find out what type of transmission they have in their old mopar.  There are hundreds, if not a thousand, of threads on this website identifying, discussing or assisting with this process, troubleshooting or repair.

Because of this large number of threads and the fact that using the search option is unbeknownst to some members, I have put this together.

HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR TRANSMISSION:

1. Do I have a 727 or a 904?

The picture of the 727 transmission is first, the second is a 904 transmission –

Gasket pictures to see what you may have from a bottom view

2. Here are pictures of 4x4 transmission 727 on the left and 999 on the right

3. Where do I look for the identification number's on my transmission?

You will see a set of numbers starting with "PK" on the driver's side of the transmission above the tranny pan but below the shifter levers, see below:

*see John's website:  http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563460286dArKFK *

The passenger side carries with it (if its 69 model year only) the complete VIN of the vehicle, 1970 and above have the year, place of manufacturer, and serial number of the vehicle it was made for, see below:

*see John's website:  http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563460286dArKFK *

4. What are the differences between a A518/46RH, a 904/999/A500 and a 727?

5. What do I have to do to put a OD transmission in my older vehicle?

Here is a start.  There are many sites that cover this swap, but this one is pretty good to get you going.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.transmissioncenter.net/index.1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm&usg=__qwPfuMYvkMs6nSzWrx-E2_5xfz0=&h=466&w=415&sz=15&hl=en&start=1&sig2=F-zhmJBQMyv8VOjmbriSCA&tbnid=EWdxB7DQoz9yjM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3D727%2Btransmission%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den&ei=AWekStyXJYKDnQffjpzsDQ

6. Why are they called what they are called?

John_Kunkel
Old Timer

Re: the 727s-did they make them for small block AND big block?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »    Quote

Quotecraig on August 09, 2009, 06:43:09 AM
the difference between 727 and 904 is 177....in cc's (cubic centimeters), the difference in fluid capacities between the two....

or so i've been told.  

The model designations aren't based on any volume, they are simple engineering model designations. The 904 was originally called the Torqueflite 6 and the 727 was the Torqueflite 8. These designations were changed in '64 when the 904 was adapted for use in the new 273 V8 and was no longer a 6 cylinder only unit.

7. What is the difference between a truck and a car tailhousing?
John_Kunkel
Old Timer

Re: Different rearhousings on the 727?
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on July 16, 2009, 03:17:15 PM
Had my first real setback in my project today :'( After installing the engine and tranny I was busy with mounting all the small parts
on my new TCI tranny I bought when I shipped the GTX over to keep my old one as a spare plus that to rebuild a tranny overhere cost almost double as buying a new one in the US when I saw that the mountingholes for the bracket guiding the gearshifter was missing :brickwall:
Are there different castings on the tails of the 727 or what can be the reason? Can I use the tail from my old tranny and if yes, is it just to pull
it of the shaft backwards? :scratchchin:

Per

They gave you a truck tailhousing, it doesn't have the double boss for the shifter support bracket.

Yes, you can simply replace it with the one from your old trans but it's not as easy as simply removing the bolts and pulling it off rearward, there is a snap ring located behind the small cover above the transmission mount.

Remove the two countersunk screws and the cover, expand the snap ring and pull the housing off; when replacing it be absolutely sure the snap ring snaps into place.

TRUCK HOUSING:

CAR HOUSING:

8. What is the difference, externally, between a 65 and below 727 and a 66 and up?

65 and below will have the parking brake mechanism located on the outside of the tailshaft housing (see right silver transmission), and the transmission mount is located in a difference place, and has wider bolt/stud mounting holes.

Also, 65 and below were a pushbutton design:

9. What are the differences between the shift levers, are there any?

Generally, a 727 shifter lever is straight and a 904 is offset (though some applications have different length of levers to compensate for vehicle model/engine combinations).
727 on top, 904 on bottom:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember, only smallblocks have 904 derivative transmissions, though some came with 727's (i.e. certain truck and HP car models).  Big Blocks only came with 727's.
And here is a kicker to boot.. International Scout's and other IH trucks used 727's also.. so did AMC's  here is a pic of a AMC 727:

Great resource book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Torqueflite-A-727-Transmission-Handbook/Carl-Munroe/e/9781557883995

WELL THAT ABOUT DOES IT.. HOPE YOU ALL GET A LITTLE INSIGHT FROM THIS.. I  MAY ADD TO THIS AS I GO ALONG, BUT REMEMBER.  JOHN HAS A WONDERFUL SITE OF PICTURES FOR YOU TO BROWSE THROUGH TO GET GOOD DETAIL PHOTOS OF WHAT YOU MAY BE WONDERING ABOUT.  IT'S A GREAT RESOURCE SO USE IT.  HE HAS POSTED IT UP IN PAST LINKS ON THIS SITE BEFORE, SO HE IS NOT HOARDING IT ALL TO HIMSELF.

(Thanks to JK for his input and website)
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RD on September 06, 2009, 09:54:34 PM
FIRST AND FOREMOST, ALL PICTURES FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK ARE COPYRIGHTED BY JOHN KUNKEL, ANY REDISTRIBUTION OF THESE PICTURES WITHOUT THE VERBAL OR WRITTEN CONSENT OF JOHN KUNKEL WILL GET YOU A ASS WHOOPIN

To clarify, some of the pics were taken by me but they aren't copyrighted (in fact they're widely copied) and many are pirated from other sources  :o  so I can't take credit for them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 09, 2009, 06:27:54 PM
Quote from: RD on September 06, 2009, 09:54:34 PM
FIRST AND FOREMOST, ALL PICTURES FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK ARE COPYRIGHTED BY JOHN KUNKEL, ANY REDISTRIBUTION OF THESE PICTURES WITHOUT THE VERBAL OR WRITTEN CONSENT OF JOHN KUNKEL WILL GET YOU A ASS WHOOPIN

To clarify, some of the pics were taken by me but they aren't copyrighted (in fact they're widely copied) and many are pirated from other sources  :o  so I can't take credit for them.

john!!! now you let the cat out of the bag.. i planned on setting up a paypal donation account for you so these guys can pay for your retirement!! geesh.. u ruined it!!!

:D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

He needs to assemble all his knowledge into a book- there's his retirement.  ;)

Belgium R/T -68

Nice to see I wasn't the only one with poor knowledge about the transmissions. :2thumbs:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

ACUDANUT

To make a truck 727 (BB) fit into a Car, there is more work than just the longer tail to bolt on isn't there ? I thought you needed longer internal drive (shaft).  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Yes, you need the longer output shaft as well (and that means going inside the trans).

ACUDANUT

Hmmm, Then what is this about :scratchchin: QUOTE: They gave you a truck tailhousing, it doesn't have the double boss for the shifter support bracket.

Yes, you can simply replace it with the one from your old trans but it's not as easy as simply removing the bolts and pulling it off rearward, there is a snap ring located behind the small cover above the transmission mount.

Remove the two countersunk screws and the cover, expand the snap ring and pull the housing off; when replacing it be absolutely sure the snap ring snaps into place.

Ghoste

I can't answer for RD because he knows more about transmissions when he's alseep than I ever will wide awake but I'm sure it's just an oversight and that he was referring to the tailstock housing on it's own.  If you have a short housing then you by necessity you have a shorter tailshaft.  The housing itself is changed as easily as he said but the shaft is held into the planetary set with a snap ring.  You have to access the guts of the planetary to access the snap ring.

dstryr

I have a 727 I need to rebuild and am wondering what the absolute essential special tools are needed for this.  I have a pretty good set of tools and just rebuilt my A833 this summer, so want to give this trans a shot.

Thanks!
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs