News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger A/C Questions

Started by marshallfry01, July 22, 2021, 11:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

I'm at a cross roads on what to do with my a/c. My car is an original R/T 440 car with factory a/c. Unfortunately all of the a/c components under the hood are long gone. It was like that when I bought it. I would like to take the a/c system back to an original/factory style if possible... but my question is how hard is it to find original a/c components? What isn't reproduced? If it's going to be a wild goose chase trying to find good quality OEM parts I'll just go with vintage air. If you know of anyone that has an original a/c system for sale let me know. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on this as well. Thanks in advance.
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

cdr

just put a sanden compressor set up on it. use the original under dash set up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Just 6T9 CHGR

Took me a few years to find the underhood components on my '69.

The hardest part were the suction & discharge lines.   They are 1 year only & 383-440 only.   Second hardest were the compressor brackets.  69-70 only & the rear bracket is 440 only.

Mine is back on there for show.  I would need to get the rubber sections redone as I'm sure they are porous.  Doing so I believe you will loose the factory "round" style crimp....the newer crimp tools do not reproduce the original style....I could be wrong about that though  
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

Quote from: cdr on July 22, 2021, 08:50:33 PM
just put a sanden compressor set up on it. use the original under dash set up.

:iagree:  But be aware you'll need to add a clutch cycling switch. Also, if the firewall fittings have been open (uncapped) for any length of time, you'll need to flush the evaporator before charging the system with refrigerant.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.