News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating issue resolved....interesting read !

Started by firefighter3931, August 18, 2009, 01:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

That sounds like what I am hearing.  Mancini carries the water pump and has then in stock.  They are sending mine today.  I think the only real difference between the aluminum and original is about 8-10 lbs., which for my stroker I doubt I will notice.  However, I would wait for Ron to chime in as he is the man.   :icon_smile_big:

Mfr426

Yeah Ron, I'm running that pump combo that I got from 440Source and EVEN installed a trans cooler to try to help cool my 505 stroker. The temp did not waiver even after I put the cooler in. I've never had an engine run this hot all time. Looking at that photo says it all. I guess I'll be ripping the front end of the engine off again.

This is such a good post and find Ron. Thanks for taking the time to share the findings.  :2thumbs:

Mike R

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2009, 09:48:46 AM
So the official concensus is that the Milodon pump with the stock cast iron housing is the way to go?

That's what i have on mine and it's staying there !  :coolgleamA:

Quote from: gasoline_24 on August 18, 2009, 10:42:27 AM
That sounds like what I am hearing.  Mancini carries the water pump and has then in stock.  They are sending mine today.  I think the only real difference between the aluminum and original is about 8-10 lbs., which for my stroker I doubt I will notice.  However, I would wait for Ron to chime in as he is the man.   :icon_smile_big:

Greg, just use the stock housing and Milodon pump....i don't trust the 440 Source pump or housing.  :P

Apparently Wayne has been struggling with overheating issues on his Dart that were never an issue before the installation of his new housing and pump....you guessed it  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

Pulled mine out of the box this morning and checked it. Sure enough... the ports are about 1/2 the size of the originals :o, and not very smooth in terms of flow potential. Now I'm not the type who would sell my problems to someone else, so that puppy is going nowhere but in the scrap bin...
We'll chalk that one up to lessons learned.  :2thumbs:

Mike

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 18, 2009, 11:21:16 AM
Yeah Ron, I'm running that pump combo that I got from 440Source and EVEN installed a trans cooler to try to help cool my 505 stroker. The temp did not waiver even after I put the cooler in. I've never had an engine run this hot all time. Looking at that photo says it all. I guess I'll be ripping the front end of the engine off again.

This is such a good post and find Ron. Thanks for taking the time to share the findings.  :2thumbs:

Mike R

You're welcome Mike....maybe it's time to look at the cam timing when you pull the engine down to R&R the pump....kill 2 birds with one stone.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

turbobitt

Well, as I'm reading this I'm a bit surprised. I have a 440 source WP and housing on my 572 Hemi and have no issues. I will admit that I did gasket match the ports before I installed it but unaware at the time that it was "bad". I didn't notice any restrictions compared to a stock housing but then again I didn't compare them together.
BTW, I just went to a show over the weekend with another member 69 our/tea and drove it over an hour in this brutal heat with no issues. I believe that my engine is streatable but very stout with 11:1 compression, solid roller cam, and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it.  

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Steve P.

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on August 18, 2009, 11:44:23 AM
Made this a sticky for all to see....

You beet me to it. I was going to do the same thing.     :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

turbobitt, if yours is working then I'd say just don't even think about it anymore.  Obviously, that's the important thing.
Is there any aluminum housing which is good?

Musicman

Quote from: turbobitt on August 18, 2009, 11:36:39 AM
Well, as I'm reading this I'm a bit surprised. I have a 440 source WP and housing on my 572 Hemi and have no issues. I will admit that I did gasket match the ports before I installed it but unaware at the time that it was "bad". I didn't notice any restrictions compared to a stock housing but then again I didn't compare them together.
BTW, I just went to a show over the weekend with another member 69 our/tea and drove it over an hour in this brutal heat with no issues. I believe that my engine is streatable but very stout with 11:1 compression, solid roller cam, and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it. 

If it's working for you, that's great!... nothing wrong there my friend. Obviously they are working just fine for any number of folks out there. For me however... I'm looking at them side by side and saying "given the choice, which would I rather use". Under these circumstances, I have to run with the higher flow potential... If my block was already up and running, and working just fine, I wouldn't have anything to be concerned with. At this time however, I still have a choice... so better safe than sorry I guess.

Belgium R/T -68

I checked my old invoices and found that my pump is indeed a Milodon but the housing is a Summit one (SUM-314441).
Is that also chines crap or? :eek2:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2009, 12:01:57 PM
Is there any aluminum housing which is good?

Shawn.....just got off the phone with Dwayne to report my findings. He has an older (1986) MP aluminum housing on hand and did the finger sweep....it's good. Basicly the older MP unit is an exact reproduction of the earlier 66-67 style housing and as such requires the bigger alternator bracket.

I'd be interested to see what the new MP housings look like....or rather feel like !  :lol:

Mancini also carries their own line of housings....that is another option but rest assured i would want to have it in my hands to inspect before forking over any cash.  :Twocents:

Ron

Steve P.

I think until we can get side by side comparisons of all available housings the jury is out on most. BUT,,,,,,, Like Ron I did the side by side and the 440 Source housing is VERY restrictive. The 440 Source housing WILL NOT be going on my motor.

It's obvious to me that a FLOW TEST had never been done on the 440 Source housing. It's a damn nice looking piece from the outside, but doing the job PROPERLY is  MOST important...

I know many are still chasing high temps. I get the feeling that many temps will be coming down after making this change.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Brian Shaughnessy needs to get his buddy E-booger on this.  It's a tech story right up MA's alley and one that needs to be done.  Besdies, they have more money (than me) to go out and get a bunch of housings for comparison.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 18, 2009, 12:05:04 PM
I checked my old invoices and found that my pump is indeed a Milodon but the housing is a Summit one (SUM-314441).
Is that also chines crap or? :eek2:

Per

The Milodon pump was a keeper....try and get it back !!!  :lol:

I can't comment on the Summit housing....haven't seen one. It might be descent....or not ?  :scratchchin:

Ron

lisiecki1

hey ron, thanks for the post, i was going to replace my stock cast housing with one of those POS.....you just saved me 100 bucks!  Glad you got your temp problem sorted.  :2thumbs:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

my73charger

Wow this is a good read.  I have had overheating problems with my 440 since it was built.  I run a large aluminum radiator with both an electric fan and a mechanical fan together just to keep it around 190 degrees but if I sit an idle on a hot day it will frequently creep up to the 215 degree mark.  I don't have a 440 Source housing, but I am not sure what it came off from either (it isn't aluminum though).  I bought it from a friend.  I will be checking this soon.

Mick70RR

Ron, did you have the housing with 440 Source cast into the front or the original one with no name on it?
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Mick70RR

Looks to me like 440 Source sell three different castings.
All pics are from their website.

Belgium R/T -68

Actually I think they use the same housings to show the different boltkits. As I read their website they have 2 castings, right and leftside outlet.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Mick70RR

Per, they sell two with the outlet on the left and two with the outlet on the right. One of each type has 440 Source cast into the front and they are cheaper than the one's that don't. The orignal casting, (top picture), I believe is sold by a number of outlets, at least they look identical.

suntech

Very good reading Ron!!!
I am building a aluminum hemi, and would ofcause like to have an aluminum housing on it. My plan was to buy a few housings, and flow them, and play around with impeller design together with Boyesen Engineering. They has some badass impellers for dirtbikes etc.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mick70RR on August 18, 2009, 02:10:09 PM
Ron, did you have the housing with 440 Source cast into the front or the original one with no name on it?

Hey Mick, mine is the model with no logo on it.  :yesnod:

I wonder if the housing with the logo on it has a revised design ?  :shruggy:

A simple test is to run your engine with the rad cap off and observe the coolant flow when the stat opens....even at idle the water should be moving briskly and when you bump the throttle it should just fly.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Hot_Rodder

For the folks who have bought these, sorry to hear it. Though I do prefer to learn from other folks mistakes, and in this case, can't say that anything has changed, glad o hear about this problem before I bought the setup.... Has anyone spoke to 440 Source about this problem, I'm sure someone has, I'm just wondering what source said about it???
:popcrn:

Runner

ron  thanks for the heads up. i have a mopar aluminum one on my roadrunner and seriously considered getting the 440 source one for our pink car when i was biulding the motor, i needed a passenger side inlet pump and the price was right. i guess i really lucked out when i found a factory one in my parts stash.

the real shame of this ( and im not trying to start a debate about this so dont take this the wrong way anyone) if dwayne wouldnt have been beaten up so bad about his steath head findings on moparts then this might of been comon knowlegeby now.  again thanks for the heads up.

are you sure that the heating problem isnt those forged pistons,  shoulda used hypers!   :nana:

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six