News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Bumper Bracket - 68 Charger

Started by john108, March 19, 2017, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Hi
The picture shows one of the rear bumper attachment Brackets.
For each of the 2 studs that attach to the rear of the car, I had 3 washers. 
One slightly larger in diameter and thicker.
The other 2 are slightly smaller and thinner.
Against (stuck to) the bracket, there appears to be the remnants of a non-metallic washer.

What is this non-metallic washer, what can be used in its place?
Of the three metal washers, what sequence do they go on?
Outside or inside of the trunk?

Kern Dog

Maybe the different washers were used to account for any sloppy tolerances when new? However...I thought you said the car had been repaired or repainted once before. If so and if the bumper was removed, the shop may have lost the originals and just used what they had on hand.

The picture I see shows a bolt sticking through the bracket, held in place by a thin sheet metal retainer. You can get those at ACE hardware.

john108

Hi Greg
You saw my charger when you helped me load it on the trailer.
I see that my communication skills need improving.
I will try harder.
This was the first time the bumper was removed.
Another picture attached and the washers are shown.
The round/radius-ed head bolt is held on by a toothed washed that grabs on the threads of the bolt so it can't fall out.
Can't quite see it on the picture.
One of my brackets has 2 of the smaller washers while the other bracket had only one of the smaller washers.
All bolts have the larger washer.

My questions are based on:
(1)  What the non-metallic washer (feels like a stiff fabric) is?  Remnants stuck to the bracket over the toothed washer. 
It appears to be the 1st thing slipped on.  What is its purpose and what is it?
(2)  Assembly sequence: Do the small washers (1 or 2) go onto the bracket before the bolts slip into the holes in the back of the car into the trunk.
And, the large washer and nut are placed on the bolt from inside the trunk?  OR what other sequence?

BLK 68 R/T

I believe the non metallic washers are just foam, and were used as a water seal.

68RT440

Yea, from my research, the bolt goes through the bracket, then the split retainer washer holds it in place. Then the white foam washers go over the bolts and the bracket goes through the valance. Then there is a large single flat washer and a hex nut that goes over each stud in the trunk...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

green69rt

Quote from: 68RT440 on March 25, 2017, 11:25:35 AM
Yea, from my research, the bolt goes through the bracket, then the split retainer washer holds it in place. Then the white foam washers go over the bolts and the bracket goes through the valance. Then there is a large single flat washer and a hex nut that goes over each stud in the trunk...

No lock washer??

68RT440

No lock washer. It appears that the larger flat washer is conical so it must hold everything in place and not need a lock washer...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

john108

I seem to have 1 or 2 extra flat washers per bolt??
Could they be space/alignment between the bracket and the back of the car??

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: john108 on March 26, 2017, 09:16:55 PM
I seem to have 1 or 2 extra flat washers per bolt??
Could they be space/alignment between the bracket and the back of the car??

Most likely that is what they are for. How does the spacing look with the bumper mounted without the extra washers?

john108

Car in paint shop.
Bumper under table in my living room
Brackets on a table outside where I put some black paint on them.
Maybe within the next month?? I can try the fit.