News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Emergency Brake, am I missing something supprting the pedal?

Started by Spartan, September 13, 2005, 05:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

My emergency light comes on allot, My e-brake pedal seems to sag enough to engauge the plunger for the light.  Is there some spring that is supposed to keep the pedal up in the returned position and maybe just something that is loose? It just won't stay up on its own and I couldn't really find anything wrong.

Thanks,
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Drop Top

Yourmissing a spring. You'll have to search the wreaking yards for one. There not available new.

Plumcrazy

The spring at the end of each rear parking brake cable that's inside the brake drum is what pulls the pedal back.
Make sure the rear service brakes are adjusted right first, then adjust the parking brake so the pedal will not travel more than about half way to the floor.
If the pedal still doesn't come all the way back up you may need one or more cables.  It's very common for those cables to rust up.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Spartan

It does not engauge the brakes.  The pedal sags to the point it makes the light come on and stops at the 1st "click".  I duct taped it up to keep the light off temporarily but even that didn't hold for very long.  Is there a spring by the pedal that keeps it up or are they all in the drums?
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Spartan on September 15, 2005, 06:06:45 AM  Is there a spring by the pedal that keeps it up or are they all in the drums?

Just the spring at the end of the cables pulls the pedal back up. There's no spring at the pedal.
If you find out why the parking brake won't engage and fix it, you probably will also fix the pedal problem.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Here is a nice pic of a freshly restored unit if it helps.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T