News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who's the best for factory Mopar radio repairs?

Started by RT/SE, September 10, 2005, 11:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT/SE

I have a factory AM/FM thumbwheel radio for my 1969 Charger.  The radio needs some repair. I had a local shop look at the radio and they told me they couldn't get any audio from the radio but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.  Who's the best out there for repairing factory Mopar radios.  I'm just looking to bring this radio back to life and back to stock specs if possible. If someone could make a recommendation that would be great.  Thanks.   

Ghoste

There are a few places that advertise in Hemmings for old radio repair.  I know of a place in northern Ontario, Canada but that may not be practical for you.  Where are you located?

RT/SE

I'm in Connecticut.  I can ship the radio anywhere.  I just want to make sure that I would be dealing with a reputable shop.  I want to find someone who knows their stuff with these radios.

SpudRacer

Do a yahoo search for Southern Electronics (www.carradio.com).   If you want your radio repaired right the first time, then this is the company you are looking for.   Mind you, it cost me around $400 to get my thumbwheel AM/8-track fixed, but once I received it back, it looked terrific and worked like new.   Money well spent to keep the factory radio in my humble opinion.

Good luck!
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

Ghoste

If you can deal with someone in the US, you are safer than shipping it up here.  Not to take anything away from the quality of work these guys could do but with things the way they are today, anytime you have to ship a package across the border, it gets dicey.  If you were closer to Detroit, I would have tried to middleman for you. 
Try Spudracer's suggestion.

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on September 10, 2005, 06:35:34 PM
I know of a place in northern Ontario, Canada but that may not be practical for you.   Where are you located?

Hey Ghoste, who are the folks in Northern ON?

Did you use them?

Contact info?

Ghoste

They are called.

The Old Tyme Radio Centre
Hwy. 4 Belgrave, Ontario, Canada N0G 1E0
Phone 519-357-4304
www.hurontourism.on.ca

No, I haven't used them but I've spoken to them a number of times and I've seen samples of their work at booth's set up at swap meets.  They seem to know what they're doing and people who have used them up here seem satisfied.

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on September 16, 2005, 09:08:59 AM
They are called.

The Old Tyme Radio Centre
Hwy. 4 Belgrave, Ontario, Canada N0G 1E0
Phone 519-357-4304
www.hurontourism.on.ca

No, I haven't used them but I've spoken to them a number of times and I've seen samples of their work at booth's set up at swap meets.   They seem to know what they're doing and people who have used them up here seem satisfied.

I'm "up here" too!  I might just get them to rebuild mine when the time comes.  I live and work in the GTA!  Your down Chatham way - correct!

Ghoste

Right in the southwest corner of the village.   If you are up by "Big Smoke", the RM auction by the airport is next month.   Those guys pretty much always have a booth set up there.   I don't know if they are going to be there this time or not but I can find out next week.   If you want, I can get some tickets to the auction for you.