News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiring troubleshoot, could use suggestions

Started by Lord Warlock, July 04, 2015, 10:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

Charger is together, and trying to start it, not getting fire, think i'll need to verify connectivity of the new harness section.  (fits on middle row of bulkhead)

I replaced the engine harness from the bulkhead connector to the horns, the one that connects to the voltage regulator, ballast, coil, distributor, alternator, washer tank, and horns.  While it looks routed correctly and I thought it was hooked up correctly, when I try to start the car, the engine cranks over, but will not issue any fire to kick the engine over.  I'm using starter fluid or gas directly into the carb for now, so it isn't gas that's the problem, its definitely electrical.

Today, while messing with it a little, I verified that the headlights and tail lights all work correctly, parking lights or turn signals work fine, flash fine.  I'm also getting power on the harness that goes to starter and battery and on to headlight area.  The harness I replaced however is not getting power as far as I can tell.  The connectors to the Ballast Resistor were both warm or hot while cranking the car, which tells me it is getting electricity to the ballast, but it may not be connected properly, since I don't remember the ballast getting hot while cranking.  However, I can't tell if the distributor or coil is getting power, and when I attempt to honk the horn I'm getting no response, I'm currently connected to the horn relay, but could bypass the relay and go direct to a horn, they were working before I took them off, maybe i'll test them with a jump starter tomorrow.  

Electricals under the dash to fuse box look ok, they are all old, and brittle, but it hasn't been hacked up and it still works so at least I don't have to worry about that part of electrical yet.  Really just think something on the replacement harness I put on isn't working.  If I have to, I can put the original harness back on as a backup, but would prefer the new harness, looked great, had all the connectors which made sense where to connect just based on location of the connectors.

Anyone got a rundown of which colors of wire this harness is supposed to have, and what each attaches to?  That would help.  Otherwise suggestions on how to use a multi-meter to check each wire for resistance or flow of electricity would help.  I have not used one before, so explain it as you would the 12 year old looking over your shoulder.  I hate electrical gremlins.  

distributor turns freely, is not completely bolted down but is tight enough to stay in position, but can be moved to advance timing, as far as I can tell it is hooked up correctly I've checked each wire several times to make sure they are in the right order according to the chiltons manual, could use a new cap but the existing one is still decent shape.  Coil has 3 wires, distributor wire hooked to + terminal, tach wire and harness lead to - wire, The Alternator only has one connector which I trust, the one with the bolt that tightens down, there was a green wire that connects to one of the spades on the brushes, but when it was running before with the old harness, it had a larger spade connector on the harness, I swapped a brush from a 70 alternator to my 69 model so I could connect to the harness with a smaller spade connection, that may not have been a good idea.  May have to get a new one, but the car should start even if the alternator isn't hooked up.

Is there an inline fuse on the harness anywhere? didn't check for one but might tomorrow when I spend a few hours trying to figure this harness thing out.  
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Lord Warlock

The wires to the ballast, one has one wire the other has two, which side should each plug into? I'll be taking the ballast and voltage regulator off tomorrow to test them, or to grind the hole so it grounds to firewall better.  Same with engine ground strap...which hasn't been removed since it was running last.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

birdsandbees

Generally the harness wire length allows for the dual wire to go on the drivers side and single on the passenger side, but it doesn't matter on a single resistor ballast.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Lord Warlock

that's how I had it when the terminals got hot, so guess it is hooked up correctly, plan on checking grounds to regulator and ballast tomorrow afternoon.  Need to verify power is getting where it is supposed to.

birdsandbees

No ground on a ballast resistor (and it will get warm as resistance = heat), but definitely need a good ground on the regulator case. (edit to add, was thinking newer than the IGN / Field regulator, not even sure the case needs grounding on it)
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Mopar Nut

Here's a wiring diagram.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: Lord Warlock on July 04, 2015, 10:41:09 PM
Charger is together, and trying to start it, not getting fire, think i'll need to verify connectivity of the new harness section.  (fits on middle row of bulkhead)

I replaced the engine harness from the bulkhead connector to the horns, the one that connects to the voltage regulator, ballast, coil, distributor, alternator, washer tank, and horns.  While it looks routed correctly and I thought it was hooked up correctly, when I try to start the car, the engine cranks over, but will not issue any fire to kick the engine over.  I'm using starter fluid or gas directly into the carb for now, so it isn't gas that's the problem, its definitely electrical.

Today, while messing with it a little, I verified that the headlights and tail lights all work correctly, parking lights or turn signals work fine, flash fine.  I'm also getting power on the harness that goes to starter and battery and on to headlight area.  The harness I replaced however is not getting power as far as I can tell.  The connectors to the Ballast Resistor were both warm or hot while cranking the car, which tells me it is getting electricity to the ballast, but it may not be connected properly, since I don't remember the ballast getting hot while cranking.  However, I can't tell if the distributor or coil is getting power, and when I attempt to honk the horn I'm getting no response, I'm currently connected to the horn relay, but could bypass the relay and go direct to a horn, they were working before I took them off, maybe i'll test them with a jump starter tomorrow.  

Electricals under the dash to fuse box look ok, they are all old, and brittle, but it hasn't been hacked up and it still works so at least I don't have to worry about that part of electrical yet.  Really just think something on the replacement harness I put on isn't working.  If I have to, I can put the original harness back on as a backup, but would prefer the new harness, looked great, had all the connectors which made sense where to connect just based on location of the connectors.

Anyone got a rundown of which colors of wire this harness is supposed to have, and what each attaches to?  That would help.  Otherwise suggestions on how to use a multi-meter to check each wire for resistance or flow of electricity would help.  I have not used one before, so explain it as you would the 12 year old looking over your shoulder.  I hate electrical gremlins.  

distributor turns freely, is not completely bolted down but is tight enough to stay in position, but can be moved to advance timing, as far as I can tell it is hooked up correctly I've checked each wire several times to make sure they are in the right order according to the chiltons manual, could use a new cap but the existing one is still decent shape.  Coil has 3 wires, distributor wire hooked to + terminal, tach wire and harness lead to - wire, The Alternator only has one connector which I trust, the one with the bolt that tightens down, there was a green wire that connects to one of the spades on the brushes, but when it was running before with the old harness, it had a larger spade connector on the harness, I swapped a brush from a 70 alternator to my 69 model so I could connect to the harness with a smaller spade connection, that may not have been a good idea.  May have to get a new one, but the car should start even if the alternator isn't hooked up.

Is there an inline fuse on the harness anywhere? didn't check for one but might tomorrow when I spend a few hours trying to figure this harness thing out.  

Pretty sure the distributor wire is supposed to be connected to the negative side of the coil, not the positive side. Blue wire from the harness connects to the coil +, tach lead and dist. lead connect to the coil -.

birdsandbees

Good eye.. I read that three times and only hesitated to see he had the tach wire correct. Hope the tach didn't mind the + power it got.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

BLK 68 R/T

Yes, definitely hope the tach is not damaged. I was thinking the wiring was supposed to be that way and then low and behold moparnut posted a wiring diagram that confirmed my hunch.  :2thumbs: to moparnut for the diagram....saved me from going to my shop to get a manual to look  :lol:

Lord Warlock

I searched the distributor sections on this site to connect the distributor, Just looked because I doubted my own memory.  Tach and distributor are on - terminal of distr.  The blue wire on harness is on positive.  There is a loose connection to the alternator, the nut isn't tightened down, moving the wires would sometimes cause a spark.  This tells me we have power from bulkhead to alternator, but won't know about washer or horns till tomorrow.  I also had added a ground or negative wire from coil to carburetor electric choke.

If the tach was hooked up incorrectly, it probably didn't hurt it much, it was already "bouncing" and not holding position steady, and would sweep over 1000rpm in either direction, I plan on eventually having the gauge cluster redone, but it will be after I get the car running first.  The tach never bothered me much being inaccurate, after a couple weeks of driving it, I went by ear instead.  Keep in mind, I haven't driven this car in over 20 years so recollections can be fuzzy.  

I appreciate the wiring diagram.  I can follow it ok so it should help a lot.  

Something in my head is telling me to check the distributor wire, not on the coil connection but closer to where the wire connects to the distributor, will have to do it tomorrow too.  lol have to run out again to the garage and unhook the charger on the battery. 

cdr

Quote from: Lord Warlock on July 05, 2015, 02:05:58 AM
I searched the distributor sections on this site to connect the distributor, Just looked because I doubted my own memory.  Tach and distributor are on - terminal of distr.  The blue wire on harness is on positive.  There is a loose connection to the alternator, the nut isn't tightened down, moving the wires would sometimes cause a spark.  This tells me we have power from bulkhead to alternator, but won't know about washer or horns till tomorrow.  I also had added a ground or negative wire from coil to carburetor electric choke.

If the tach was hooked up incorrectly, it probably didn't hurt it much, it was already "bouncing" and not holding position steady, and would sweep over 1000rpm in either direction, I plan on eventually having the gauge cluster redone, but it will be after I get the car running first.  The tach never bothered me much being inaccurate, after a couple weeks of driving it, I went by ear instead.  Keep in mind, I haven't driven this car in over 20 years so recollections can be fuzzy.  

I appreciate the wiring diagram.  I can follow it ok so it should help a lot.  

Something in my head is telling me to check the distributor wire, not on the coil connection but closer to where the wire connects to the distributor, will have to do it tomorrow too.  lol have to run out again to the garage and unhook the charger on the battery.  
quote  I also had added a ground or negative wire from coil to carburetor electric choke

- coil to the choke ? that will not work. the car will not run
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lord Warlock

I can remove the choke wires, but it has an electric choke on the edelbrock performer, still have to figure out how to wire it and from where.  I'll remove the wire to choke then, just to make sure. 

BLK 68 R/T

Electric choke wire should go to a 12v switched source.

Pete in NH

Hi,

Post a picture of your multi-meter and I can tell you how to set it up to make some measurements. And yes, disconnect that choke wire for now. By the way is this a points ignition system or are you using something else?

The only fuse that is sort of in the wiring harness is the fusible link between the battery stud on the starter relay and one of the bulk head connector pins. If that link is open or not there a lot of things will not work including the ignition.

Lord Warlock

don't have a multi-meter yet, never needed one before, have a very old volt meter but doubt it is even functional so I would probably get another one if I needed to.  The Charger is the only car I'd spend $ for a tool I'd use once every 5 years or less.  But its time to get it going again, and won't back down now.

Disconnected the choke wires for now, rain postponed more work for now, but will get back on it tomorrow. (its garaged but you'd get wet standing in front near the door, wasn't the rain that bothered me but the lightning. 

BLK 68 R/T

I would double check the firewall connection as well. Maybe when you plugged in the new harness it pushed some of the dash side terminals out of the connecter.

b5blue

Old Chargers need a multi meter, 12.00 at Walmart. I fed my electric choke with a relay that tapped into Alt. output wire, turned on by key on run wire. I'd take a close look at all new harness connectors wire connections. My new harness had one connection badly crimped, the blue IGN. feed wire. When given the "tug test" it slid right apart. That would have been big trouble had I assumed new means good.

Lord Warlock

Well, hooked up the battery, or started to, had disconnected the choke, removed the wire entirely but left the rest connected and while hooking up the battery heard a crackle to my right, (hadn't tightened down the positive cable, just twisted it on) saw sparks on the bolt where the fuseable link connects to the harness, and before I could disconnect the battery got a puff of smoke from the bulkhead connector where the fuseable link (blue wire) attaches.  After disconnecting the battery again, see that the fusable link wire was burnt out/in half.  It must be grounding somewhere, I hope its just the link and not the entire harness, have to disconnect it and take a look.

Can the link be rewired to the harness without replacing the entire engine harness?

nascarxx29

Fix the popped link and get a 12 volt testlight in line on positive cable.and look for a dead short to ground.possibly amp gauge etc alternator

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

With testlight hooked between+ battery and positive  battery cable you can find whats pulling on it.doors closed all  acessories tuned off.remove one fuse at a time till testlight goes out,to source the short to what circuit.if not there check battery voltage carrying wires and devices.its ok to have a dim testlight like a clock or something .but full on bright you got a  short somewhere

Lord Warlock

to simplify, nothing in the interior is turned on, ignition wasn't even turned on.  I have had issues charging the battery while in the car though, which was probably due to a loose connection on the alternator. I fixed that when removing the other wire, and was a bit surprised to see the link wire sparking.

How do you change the link wire?  there is a label on the wire saying fusable link, and is or was a new wire as part of the new harness I put in, when It was hooked up wrong with the choke hooked to the alternator the car would turn over, removed that wire and it wouldn't turn over.  The link wire is now missing the insulation on part of the wire, and the wire is burnt in half, doesn't look like a fuse, looks like a short wire, but may look different with the harness disconnected, put that off till tomorrow when light is better.

A question, the green wire that comes out of the harness near the alternator, is this a connector to a field connector on the alternator, or is it the power wire for the AC?  The old harness only had one connection to the alternator, and it was a ring connector that attached to the post in the rear bottom of the alternator.  There was no brush connector that I can find on the alternator.  (this alt has been on the car since the 70s when it was driven last)

nascarxx29

For 69 alt connections green wire is the alt field and      http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=112014.0
heavy red to alt

BLK 68 R/T

Yes, the fusible link is easily changed. Just unplug the main harness connector and use a small flat tip screwdriver to push on one side of the terminal, it is a semi split connector, if you pull out the foam seal you should be able to see which side to push on to release the fusible link from the bulkhead connector.

Unless your charging system is setup for a single wire connection, there should be at least one field connection to the alternator. the green wire you mentioned would be the one. 70 up have 2 field connections 69 and back have 1.

Lord Warlock

got the bulkhead connector off and figured out that the bolt holding the link ring on was loose and it was likely the reason why it shorted out.  At least the harness doesn't look damaged, just the fusable link was ruined.  I'll try to get it out of the bulkhead connector plug so I can replace it. 

I had tried to add a  field connector from a 70 alternator that had a connector that fit the new harness, I'm wondering if it was wrong to put it in now, think I may just order a replacement alternator online. 

nascarxx29

Take alt to autoparts store for free evaluation