News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your thoughts on the 1978 + 79 Dodge Magnum

Started by Magnumcharger, July 02, 2007, 09:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

OK.....I found a 1979 Dodge Magnum in a junkyard.
It's not your garden variety Dodge Magnum.

It's a GT. Which means "sport package" in every sense of the word. And it's basically all there.
It's got every option avaliable but the sunroof, which is only because it's a T-top car.
It's powered by it's original E-58 HP 360, which was the top of the line mill that year.
It's still covered by it's original black paint, and has a red leather interior.
The drivers fender is bent between the fender flare and the door.

I've just bought a set of the original wheels off of another dodgecharger.com member (thanks again Chris!), and other than a fender that's all it needs.
I'm a fan of the 70's B-bodies and already own it's twin under the skin, a 1979 Chrysler 300 (360 T-tops too).

http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/carsinbarns139.html

I seem to recall production of these cars was very low, and have heard 583 for E-58 cars, including GTs.
How many were GTs and T-topped? I heard as low as 16.

Anybody have the actual production numbers?
And what are your thoughts on this car?

Pictured is a car like the one I'm talking about, but without the t-tops.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Dave22443

I used to own a '79 Magnum.  It was an SE with a 318 but it had 60 series tires and Keystone Classics.  It was dark blue, solid top, with a darl blue cloth interior.

Man... what memories.  I absolutely LOVED that car and to this day I still regret selling it.  It wasn't fast, but it was really comfortable to ride in.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Dave22443

I don't think you're being fair '02.  I don't think the car was that bad at all.  Particularly when you compair it to the Plymouth Horizon's and K-Cars my friends were driving.

You might not like the styling now, but back in the day, that car really attracted the ladies   :2thumbs:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

69charger2002

K cars etc are even worse.. the late 70's cars were ugly slugs.. about the only thing they had going for them was comfort. i mean let's be real. they don't hold a candle to a 66-74 dodge charger. which is the car that really matters right?
my totally biased opinion of course   :nana:
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Brock Samson

there was a thread recently about them, i went and found the earlier threads about them and linked em all togeather, search "t-tops" that ought to git it... if not, try "Magnum GT"
i'd drive it,..  but only after i put in a built BB..   :drool5:

Nacho-RT74

I like them... not the 75 and laters Chargers, but yes the Magnums. Specailly T-tops. they are kinda charming
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

no318

I am the second owner of a 78 magnum for the last 17 years.  First car and that got me into all the mopars I am have now.  78 still had a 400 option.  79 E58 360 was the biggest.  GT's are quite rare.  T-tops are not real common.  I have seen several around though, like this one.  I don't think it is 1 of 16 or anything that rare, though.  GT had wheels, flares, spun alum dash and emblems.  Maybe suspension.  It was not a performance package itself.  Like the 300 had E58 as part of the package.  GT did not, I don't think.

Ghoste

I like them now but it's kind of through the hazy glasses of nostalgia.  I worked at a Dodge dealer when they came out and I can still recall my disappointment in the big slab sided styling.  It was like a couch potato Cordoba.

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

I love them, and I love the GT version better :yesnod: I just wish I could find a nice one. Here is a web site for them you might like to look at http://www.magnumgt.com/
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

hemihead

I liked the Magnums. I even liked the Cordobas. Better than what GM and Ford was making at the time and still better than any nightmare that DB is making now. 397 GTs in 78 made. 79 ???.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

NYCMille

Dude, I like the Magnums... really cool front ends and just all together an aggressive looking ride. I'd roll one.  :2thumbs:

sunroofsuperbird

The red and silver one looks like the car i had but it was a 78 and had black interior. If you get that car and want to sell it or trade it let me know.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

supserdave

I like 'em! I think we have a set of T-Tops from one out at the farm yet.

Magnumcharger

Thanks for your responses guys.

I think I'll be picking it up shortly. It's a very low mileage car, and even though it's rough, I know I can fix it.
I guess the fact that it's a '79 is what makes it important to me.
I had a '79 Little Red Express truck with the same engine and it was a screamer! And of course, I regret having let it go.

I graduated high school, and met my future wife in the same year, so '79 was a good one for me.
I bought my '79 300 from the original owner back in 1991, and it had only 18,000 miles on it. I drove it for 8 years and racked up over 180,000 miles by the time I parked it. It was and is a great car, and still retains it's original belts, hoses, exhaust and paint.

I remember reading on Allpar I think it was, that behind the minivans, the Cordoba (and Cordoba-based vehicles) were the best selling series of cars in Chrysler's history.
And there's no doubt why....they were phenomenal cars.

As far as collectibility, and whether or not to put ones good money into a project such as this:
My 1968 Charger R/T was and is one of my favorite cars of all time. Would I want to restore it, even if it was valueless? Of course I would.
The Charger was not, and will never be an "investment" for me. And besides, it's only worth something if you sell it.
I rank the Magnum GT as another one of the coolest cars I've ever seen. And it's of my "era", not my older brother's, or my Father's.
It was on the new car lot when I was a young buck, along with the Volare Roadrunners, Aspen R/Ts, Z-28's, Trans-Ams and the Little Red Express trucks.

So what is the reason we're into old cars in the first place? To go fast?
I'm pretty sure a Factory Five roadster could kick the ass of anything on this website (having been in a few). And most if not all of the new "Supercars" would have our favorite vintage Musclecars for lunch.

Or is it just to been seen in something very few people have? Or to inspire jealousy in other car enthusiasts?
Or to express your individuality?
I think it's about recapturing your past, or at the very least, holding onto a point in your life. Because life goes by very quickly.

pettyfan43

I had one a few years ago NEAT car, it was the 360 2 bbl with the T-Tops. Mine still had the flares and I wanted a rear spoiler. If you get it let me know, I have a Cordoba Parts car and they share a LOT of parts, but sadly NO the trunklid is NOT good!

Ghoste

Excellent point and it's one I sometimes forget.  I'm no collector either and Iguess that's why I whine about the prices all the time.  I got into because I thought it was fun and it's still fun.  I'm sure the modifications I've done to my car have hurt it's investment portfolio worth and as for trying to impress others or express my individuality, well, it's a fastback so I guess that answers both questions.

my73charger

I owned two Cordoba's, one 75 and one 77 both with 360's.  I have fun with those cars. :icon_smile_big:

Argos_Chargers

I currently own 5 of them.  You can't compare them to a Charger, but they're great cars to drive!  One of them is an E-58 T-Top '79.  White with a red interior.  It is not running, but it really doesn't need that much work.  I also have a '78 Sunroof car which is a lot of fun.  I parted out a '78 T-Top last fall.  The fender is interchangeable with a '78 or '79 Cordoba.  I think I currently have a couple of extra sets of tops for the car.  Buy the car and have a great time with it!  As much as '02 hates them, I see them as one of the next collectibles...being almost the last of the MoPar rear wheel drive 2-doors.  I haven't found much of a following for th eMiradas yet...

Argo
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

TUFCAT

I like them A LOT - - in GT trim of course.  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   

Charger1973

Quote from: Argos_Chargers on July 03, 2007, 12:50:22 PM
I currently own 5 of them.  You can't compare them to a Charger, but they're great cars to drive!  One of them is an E-58 T-Top '79.  White with a red interior.  It is not running, but it really doesn't need that much work.  I also have a '78 Sunroof car which is a lot of fun.  I parted out a '78 T-Top last fall.  The fender is interchangeable with a '78 or '79 Cordoba.  I think I currently have a couple of extra sets of tops for the car.  Buy the car and have a great time with it!  As much as '02 hates them, I see them as one of the next collectibles...being almost the last of the MoPar rear wheel drive 2-doors.  I haven't found much of a following for th eMiradas yet...

Argo

I dont think they are bad cars, id drive one... but I think they look alot like a Monte Carlo.  And those will become high dollar cars long before these will.... 

Magnumcharger

Mine will look a fair bit like this one....with a bit of work!
And of course, a red interior.

TruckDriver

I was thinking, I haven't seen one in person now in about 20 years :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

h76

I like the GT w/T-Tops and GT wheels.Nice car if it ends up looking like the one in the Lietzke ad. :2thumbs: