News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Voltage Limiter/Wiring help

Started by Judhudson, August 28, 2005, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

Hi, I have a wiring problem on my 73 charger.

I've hooked up everything on my instrument panel and came to a dead end.  I don't know what goes on my voltage limiter.  I have a rally cluster, and looking at my wiring diagrams from Detriot Auto, I think I have it right.  Below is a small diagram of what I have

----------------------
|                    |
|   1    2   3     |
|                    |
-----------------------

1 is a black wire that deals with the fuel and temperature unit.  I believe it is correct on the diagram.

2 is currently nothing on it, I have two wires that I need a place to put them.  One is a black wire which goes to an condensor that I need to ground.  The other is a black wire that comes out of a bundle of wires.  I have no idea where that wire goes to, and can't find any places to hook it to besides this connection.

3 is a blue wire with a white strip.

I'm stumped, what goes on the 12v (#2).  The condensor, or the lone black wire?

I can't think of where that dang lone black wire goes if the condensor is suppose to be there instead...   ???

Nacho-RT74

this is what I have right now... Condenser plugs in the middle...

Check for size of female spade terminal... there is one wider than the rest what is black and conects to cluster housing throught the voltage limiter bracket ( wire on diagram K10A-18BK ). Is ground.

On diagram it appears the 12 Volts feed wire is black ( G1-18BK ) and comes from accesory splice from ignition switch wire, but as I remember really was blue and comes from the fuse block.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Judhudson

Hmmm, well right now, what I have connected right above the voltage limiter on the instrument cluster is a female plug with two black wires together.  I thought this is correct since I labeled it "1" and wrote "1" on the cluster.  Do you think it should be 2 wires going to it?

Nacho-RT74

I don't remenber exactly right now, and my car is about one hour from me since is on body job.

I changed standart cluster to a Rallye cluster but also changed the underdash wiring harness so I'm telling you what I remember when I connect everything, about one year ago.

I think is true on that wider female plug there is two wires, but just becasue the other one is a splice wire to feed another ground somewhere, something like an isolated socket over dash ilumination bulbs net ( A/C controls for example ).

I have found there is not an EXACTLY diagram about how our cars have been wired.

But there is one really true, the ground female plug fits on that "bracket/prong" because the size, and there is not another female plug on harness able to be plugged on that prong.

You can check anyway just to be sure with a multitester for continuity. Test that female plug with the eyebolt terminal what goes attached to the dash frame and you should get some reading, close to 0 ( ohms scale ).

And also same about that blue wire but continuity with fuse box on accesories side...

On diagram it appears the 12 volts input source is black, and not blue, so you could have been conected the wrong wire ( blue one instead black one )...

I don't remember right now a blue female spade plug around there right now.

NOTE: if your cluster is with Tach, the wire what feeds the tach is also blue. I don't remember right now another blue wire arriving up to cluster with female spade plug. there is another blue wire rouding on underdash wiring with female spade, but I think that was to plug powered Radio antennas and is not close to cluster I think.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html