News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Tic-Toc-Tach wiring

Started by greyskier, July 21, 2015, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyskier

A friend recently bought a 69 Charger and I'm trying to help him with electrical issues. He has the Tic-Toc-Tach but neither the clock or tach are working. I stuck my head under the dash and can only see one wire connected I think to the spade lug on the tach pod. I didn't have a camera and I can't remember the wire colour for certain. I've searched for info on how it should be wired but have not found any definitive answers. The 69 Charger wiring diagrams I found don't show tach wiring, only Gray clock wiring. Other B-body wiring shows a DkBlue and Gray w/tracer for the tach and again Gray for the clock. This seems to match with tach harnesses for sale by outfits like Classic Industries etc. It would appear that the DkBlue for the tach is IGN voltage so one would assume that the clock Gray wire is always on battery for the clock to run on. I found a picture in this post
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18703.0.html
which says it is a Tic-Toc-Tach but  I only see two wires. I think at the bottom of the photo the edge of an in-line spade connector is visible. I remember seeing this going up to the edge of the tach pod but there is nothing plugged into it although there was a matching plug close by. However I'm not plugging anything in until I know what is what. Is that a light? Is it for both tach and clock? I thought I saw another empty hole as well possibly for a bulb.
I asked and he says that the ignition system is all stock.
If anyone can shed any light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated. The car is about a thirty minute drive away so I want some clues before I get him to bring it here or go back and look at it again.

Here is a wiring diagram for the Charger Specialties Tic-Toc-Tac. I believe it is exactly the same as original units.

greyskier

Hmmm. Looks like the wire I thought might be for a light was probably the clock wire. That means the other hole I thought I saw was where the light should be. He'll probably have to get one of those. Now that I have some useful information I can go back and look at the car again and verify wire colours and try and find the tach power wire. Thanks for your help.

greyskier

Looks like somebody retrofitted the Tic-Toc-Tach into this car and didn't know how to wire it properly. They had the clock power wire hooked into the tach signal input of the tach and there was another wire hanging around that was not connected at either end but went to the coil area. Plugging the clock power into the clock didn't help as the clock apparently doesn't work and I didn't have sufficient jumpers with me to try and see if the tach would work before ordering the proper harness for it. I'll have to make something up for my buddy so that he can try it before we go any further.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Evans wiring makes a nice harness with factory wire colors and terminals.

http://www.evanswiring.com/default.htm