News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Fasten Seat Belts/Map Light extra black wire?

Started by WH23G3G, July 13, 2008, 04:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I know I've asked this before I think, but I wanted to see if anyone else may have run into the same problem I'm seeing. On my 73 I've got the standard dash, automatic column shift. I've got the underdash harness all plugged in by the book, all relays and buzzers in the NOS brackets. But there is one thing gauge black wire that actually comes out from the Fasten Seat Belts/Map Light built in the dash harness that I have no idea where it goes. It's thin gauge and it appears to be factory because it's made into the dash harness Fasten Seat Belts/Map Light plug. On the other end it was cut from the previous owner. I've looked at my factory 73 wiring diagrams and can't locate it on the diagrams anywhere. I understand the wiring diagrams easy enough to know what colors the connections should have and where things plug in, but I'm not expert at reading the wiring diagrams. Does anyone know what type of end the wire should have and where it should be plugged in at? I also have an extra thin gauge black wire on my aftermarket ignition switch plug. It was identical to the original but it just had an extra black wire. I figured it was a ground.

71_deputy

check out the small box to the left!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

WH23G3G

I don't know. That's what I was looking at in my 73 chassis manual. But I couldn't figure out how to read it. Because it's coming out of the Fasten Seat Belt lamp, the seat belt relay is in another area. Plus mine is and always was an automatic and this is the only extra wire that I couldn't find in the diagrams.

71_deputy

do you have a pic of it- prefere it wher the other wiring is beside it!!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

WH23G3G

I'll try and get a photo of it. I went ahead and put everything in the dash back in because I assumed it was a ground that I could hook up later. So I'll have too see how hard it is to get it.

Charger74SE

The black wire coming out of the map light & seatbelt wire harness is a ground wire for your map light and its suppose to have an eyelet connector on the end. I will have to look at mine to see where it hooks up.

Mike

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

WH23G3G

I figured it was a ground of some sort because it's a thin gauge and it's a black wire. Usually is a ground. That would be nice if you could let me know where it or what screws into. I'd like to have it in the correct place.

Charger74SE

Quote from: WH23G3G on July 14, 2008, 08:21:02 PM
I figured it was a ground of some sort because it's a thin gauge and it's a black wire. Usually is a ground. That would be nice if you could let me know where it or what screws into. I'd like to have it in the correct place.
The female connector for the map light should have three wires. Pink wire, black center wire, and a yellow wire. The cut black wire on the male side of the harness goes through the plastic U channel above the steering column and attaches to the metal dash frame just above where the hood release cable lever mounts. There's a tab there for a screw clip to attach that wire.
I have the correct wire for it and has not been cut if you need it.

Mike

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

WH23G3G

What do I need? The wire is still intact on my plug I just need an end. Don't I just need to crimp on an eyelet? Does it screw where the ground wire for the horn screws to? That's over in the same area.

WH23G3G

I just went out and looked at it. I thought it stretched over to the passenger side somewhere so I already had the black wire pulled to that side under the dash. I couldn't pull it back where it went to the driver's side so I just put on an eyelet I had and screw it to one of the relay brackets over near the evaporator box. It's not apparent and out of sight, so I'll be happy with it. I just have to get a passenger door jamb switch, clean the overhead shoulder belts install them and bolt the steering wheel on and the interior is 100% totally done.

Nacho-RT74

thin wire coming from map light is the ground to the map light. should have an eyelet terminal and bolts just on same place than the rest of underdash wiring grounds, on driver side part of frame close to kick panel, below the dash... you'll find a fastener/C clip there
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

oops... charger74SE already gave the answer LOL just went to reply without read the rest..

you can ground anywhere though! just that is the right spot!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html