News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior Door Handles Hard to Pull

Started by Brent69, May 15, 2013, 02:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent69

My '69 interior door handles are really hard to pull and open the door.  I've looked through the service manual but didn't find anything related to adjusting latches or anything. Is there anything that can be done besides greasing the components?  I think my door hinges are in pretty good shape so I don't think it's that.

Dino

Does the door open and close well?  Any issues with the outside handles?

I would first check the inside handle itself to see if any crud got in there.  If so, clean and regrease.  If that doesn't do it, remove the armrest/base and remove the doorpanel.  See what's going on in there.  There may be play, stuck lock, bent rod.  Whatever it is, it should be easy to spot.

If you can't see anything jump out then remove the parts, degrease and put new grease in there.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brent69

Sounds good.  Just wanted to be sure there wasn't a simple adjustment screw or something.  The doors open and close fine so don't think it's hinge related.  I'll pop off the panels and check that out.  Just hate to do that since they are original.

No issues with the outside handles cause I took them off. I know, I know "How could I?"  But it looks cool. That whole long profile of uninterrupted B5 blue.

Dino

Don't worry about the panels.  As long as you go slow and use the proper tools to let the door panel clips release from the door frame, the panel will be just fine.

Besides, you want to have that panel out of the way when you clean and regrease the mechanisms.

Nothing wrong with shaving the handles.  If ever you want to sell, the next guy can revert it back without much trouble should he/she choose to do so.

Let us know what you find.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Brent69

Well, I messed with it all day yesterday and determined that the door is not lined up properly.  I'll take it back to the body shop and have them do it right.  I'm tired of messing with it and it really needs to be a two man job.

I'm attaching one pic here.  If you want to see more, I just built a website tonight.  It's just a start, but it has some more pics on there.

http://www.bdubya.net

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!