News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not always receiving email notification.

Started by Dino, August 07, 2013, 07:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

From time to time I find a thread I'm watching has had several replies but I never received an email stating this.  I don't know the percentage but this morning I found 4 threads that people posted in without receiving an email.  It's not that big of a deal but I wonder if there's a fix.  I'm using IE and an old version at work spo maybe that's the culprit?   :shruggy:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Email address is in your profile, and you click the NOTIFY button on the things you are following?

Dino

Quote from: green69rt on August 07, 2013, 08:27:29 AM
Email address is in your profile, and you click the NOTIFY button on the things you are following?

On occasion yes but most of the time it's threads where I have posted in.  I'll get notifications for it every day until one day it stops.  Then a few days later I get notifications for those again.  It's strange. 

green69rt

I don't get email notifications of items that I have posted in, just the ones where I click on NOTIFY.

Troy

The way it's supposed to work is that you'll get 1 notification if someone posts after you look at the thread. If a bunch of people post you still won't get another notification until after you look at the thread again. So sometimes you'll see a lot of new posts. This way you don't get "spammed" if there's a popular topic.

If you visit a thread and see new posts when you haven't received a notification (and you have them turned on) then it's a mail problem. Either the web site failed to send it or it got lost/caught along the way. There are certain internet providers that routinely block these notifications as spam. It should be all or nothing though - you wouldn't get some but not others if that were the case.

Your profile has a setting that will enable notifications on every thread you post in. Normally, I believe, this should be turned off. We've had issues in the past where the site stops sending notifications and it appeared that the cause was that the list has gotten too big. If you look in your profile under the "Notifications and Email" menu option you'll see the various settings and a list of all the threads you are subscribed to.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

I'm sure some of the problems come from me not checking a post when I do get a link, but that is rare.  I know I didn't do so yesterday.

Maybe it's a pc or browser thing as I use 3-4 different pc's all the time.