News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA ragtop best ragtop to start with???

Started by djcarguy, September 10, 2013, 06:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

japan wasn't knocking it out of the park in 1983, either
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Oh God...

I bought a big box of early 80's Motor Trends at this past weekend's Mopar show at Norwalk, and the performance and style were ALL awful.  Highlight of one issue:  The strong-running '83 Mustang GT beat the Z28 in the 1/4 mile 16.6 to 16.8 secs. 

I bought it because there were some pretty cool Porsche articles, including a cover story on the 1982 924 Carrera GT. 

You can't argue that the 80's were the low point for US quality while the Japanese were learning very, very quickly. 

70Sbird

Quote from: pettybird on September 17, 2013, 01:22:40 PM
Oh God...

I bought a big box of early 80's Motor Trends at this past weekend's Mopar show at Norwalk, and the performance and style were ALL awful.  Highlight of one issue:  The strong-running '83 Mustang GT beat the Z28 in the 1/4 mile 16.6 to 16.8 secs. 

I bought it because there were some pretty cool Porsche articles, including a cover story on the 1982 924 Carrera GT. 

You can't argue that the 80's were the low point for US quality while the Japanese were learning very, very quickly. 

Sadly I believe that both the Z28 and Mustang were beaten by the X11 Citation........truly a dark time in automotive history.

Also probably the reason I see more cars still on the road from the 1960's and early 70's than anything from that late 70's through the 80's era

Scott Faulkner

pettybird

That's because you don't have a large Puerto Rican population nearby.  A 1988 Toyota Corolla will never be allowed to die  :lol:

Stevearino

Every era until you get to the 70's seemed to have a heavy nostalgia following based on what cars caught your gaze when you were growing up. I really feel bad for anyone who grew up looking at fake spoked wheel hub caps,thickly padded vinyl tops, and giant chrome 5 mph bumpers that were 2 foot wider than the cars. You can blame government regulation but I don't remember anyone outlawing imagination during that time period. We have a saying where I work "Sometimes you need to make chicken salad out of chicken s##t"  From 75 through to 86 it doesn't look like anyone even cared to try.

pettybird

The print ads were 4 feet deep in bullshit, though.  There's a Cavalier ad that talks about it being beautiful.  It's as if they'd all hired back their ad men from 1958.

Stevearino

The manufacturers in the US back then it was down right insulting. The attitude was "Push any old piece of crap out there and stupid Americans will be loyal and buy it. Where the hell else are they going to go?" Sad thing is that today they have world class products but still have that stink all over them.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Stevearino on September 17, 2013, 07:19:46 PM
The manufacturers in the US back then it was down right insulting. The attitude was "Push any old piece of crap out there and stupid Americans will be loyal and buy it. Where the hell else are they going to go?" Sad thing is that today they have world class products but still have that stink all over them.

so damn true :rotz:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

NJRBros

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: Stevearino on September 17, 2013, 07:19:46 PM

That Camaro article mentioned that the fit and finish was good because the body gaps were "OK."  Could you imagine Motor Trend's screaming now if they weren't all sub 6mm?

NJRBros

Quote from: held1823 on September 18, 2013, 07:34:22 AM
and for the better....

Haha I would've expected this to start in that lincoln thread  :P

Stevearino

Sorry for the hijack on the thread DJ  but that 83 convertible set me off. Seems like based on the amount of work that is going to be needed just about any 68 thru 70 B body should work. Building a convertible Charger is definitely the deep end of the pool.

djcarguy

Quote from: Stevearino on September 16, 2013, 07:31:43 PM

You said "wood" twice.  Either you meant a) "would" or b) this:

anymore."
[/quote]

looks like the ragtop from----planes,trains and automoblies----   NOW CAN SOMEONE PHOTO SHOP A WING AN NOSE ON IT,,THANKS..LATTER DJ   :popcrn: :popcrn: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :D :D :D

pettybird

Well no one can say you're not a good sport  :lol:

These should have all gone the way of the car in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, too:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on September 19, 2013, 02:34:00 PM
Well no one can say you're not a good sport  :lol:

These should have all gone the way of the car in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, too:

those arent two pillows    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mike DC

The mid/late 1980s started producing some stuff people feel nostalgic about.  Maybe not Mopar guys but plenty of other crowds (like exotic & euro) have fond memories of certain cars from that period.

The upside of MPG-happy zero-horsepower eras is that handling can come to the forefront.  Small cars + small (lightweight) engines + no other performance traits to focus on.  

Hemi Runner

How about a woodgrain, convertible daytona complete with wire wheels and houndstooth interior!!

djcarguy

Check out the ====Charger convertable ...am i sick======  thread has pixs an info ,even a 3rd gen topless pho-shop,looks great.. worth a look only 3 pages an with pixs its a easy,fast read,lol.  lattter DJ :popcrn: :cheers: