News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cable drive tachometer ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 30, 2013, 10:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Even having lived back in the day I never noticed cable drive distributors and lately I have see quite a few on e-pay.  Can you still get cables and parts for these things or  they dinosaurs  in the food chain ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

Speedometer shop should be able to make a mechanical tach cable that is functional for the vintage race car look.  

John_Kunkel

I think the renewed interest in them is part of the general interest in anything old (even if it's inefficient).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 30, 2013, 04:24:55 PM

I think the renewed interest in them is part of the general interest in anything old (even if it's inefficient).

So they are not that accurate I am guessing ??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

I have a NOS 1980's vintage Stewart Warner cable drive tach that seems to be very accurate.   It is not a cosmetic match to the rest of the guages in my car, so I have it as a spare.

I also have the original 1960's S-W tach from the car that I sent out to a shop to be rebuilt.   They put new guts in it.   I do not think it works as well as the NOS tach.   Seems like when you punch the gas, the needle seems to freewheel up too far.   Hope I am explaining that right. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on October 01, 2013, 11:52:25 AM

So they are not that accurate I am guessing ??

Cable-driven tachs are susceptible to the same problems as cable-driven speedos....age will make them lose accuracy due to friction and the loss of magnetism in the rotor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.