News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 Rear Axle Shims

Started by Chucky3, October 04, 2013, 12:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chucky3

Hi everyone, I need some expert help with an 8 3/4 rear end I'm putting into a '71 Dodge Challenger. I put in 2" lowering blocks and need to know roughly what shims to use for it. I assume they must be placed at the rear of the blocks  to tilt the carrier downward since the blocks push it higher up into the chassis and away from the drive shaft. The carrier is from a B-body that had shims approximately 1/8" - 3/16" in thickness (maybe 1 or 2 degree shims?) and only one had a center hole so the other shim sits further back under one of the lowering blocks and does not sit the same as the one with the center hole. So one shim sits further under one block while the other does not. Drilling a center hole would make them both uniform but at 1 or 2 degrees downward maybe. Can anyone tell me if what i have might work or do I need more shimming? I'm just trying to get close to a proper angle to avoid tearing it apart later. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Fred

I had 2" lowering blocks under my new hemi springs when they were brand new and stiff like buggery and didn't need any shims. The car ran fine with no vibration.
After 2 years when the springs had settled I removed the blocks and all is spot on.
I can't see that there's a need for shims with lowering blocks of any size.  :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Chucky3

Thank you for the advice Old Timer. I will just not use them as it makes it easier and I don't have to buy extra parts. I was trying to avoid tearing it all apart later on down the road. Thx again!!

Fred

A383Wing

I also got blocks between my springs & housing...no shims required for me either

RallyeMike

There is no way to answer this question. If you want to ensure the best ride and wear based on your springs, engine & trans installation, you have to buy a protractor and measure it the angles.

If settling for "ok" is ok, then tossing it together and seeing if it vibrates works fine too.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Fred

I never settle for "OK"  I need perfection.  I have absolutely no vibration.