News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No power sometimes....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, November 04, 2013, 06:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

After driving real quick somewhere, get out, then get back in sometimes I get no power no nothing at all no volt reading.  Then I unhook one of the battery terminals and replug it back in and viola power is back and she fires right up.

What could be causing this to happen?

Pete in NH

I would start with making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Also, check the condition of the battery cables and all terminals and lugs. Those clamp on replacement battery terminals are not really great when it comes to good connections if you have them on your car. Next, I would look carefully at the bulkhead connector pins. It wouldn't surprise me to see corrosion and perhaps some burnt pins after all these years. With 40 year old wiring it could be many things but I would start with these.

myk

Dollars to do-nuts it's the blasted bulkhead connectors.  That's the only time when my Charger could run like a scalded cat one minute and then suddenly not have one single volt in its nervous system the next, unless I jiggled/fiddled with the bulkhead connectors.  Do what I've done and get rid of those things!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

A383Wing

if all you are touching when car is dead is the battery terminals, that's probably yer issue...terminal cleanliness, and good cables are essential for good connections

1974dodgecharger

Thx guys seems i did not tighten down the post tight enough.....dummy me has not happened since i tightened her down realy good now.

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on November 08, 2013, 05:43:32 AM
Thx guys seems i did not tighten down the post tight enough.....dummy me has not happened since i tightened her down realy good now.

Thanks for bringing this up-I need to replace my 'pos cable clamp...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"