News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for recomondations for disk brake conversion kits

Started by ottawamerc, January 05, 2014, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Hi Guys

One of this winters projects is to install a new disk brake kit on my 71 Charger. I know many of you have already done this conversion so I was wondering what your recommendations are for the brake kits? My car has a 9 1/4 diff and manual brakes now with a stock disk setup on the front. This combo is pretty poor at best :RantExplode:

Thanks in advance

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Sublime/Sixpack

Are you sure you don't want to work with the set up you have now? I ask because the stock power discs (front) and drum (rear) on my 1970 Charger work very well!
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Pete in NH

I have to agree with Sublime/Sixpack, My 71's factory power front disc/ rear drum combination have always been an excellent braking system. The Kelsey Hayes floating caliper discs have always been trouble free. I'm not sure I could ask for anything better.

2Luke2

Scott, keep us updated what you end up going with. We are trying to pick a larger diameter front wheel/rim so we can run a 6 piston caliper. We are looking at Wilwood, but also looked at Baer and one other I can't recall atm.

ottawamerc

I guess one of my braking issues are that it has manual brakes, I agree that the factory system work well for street cars but I was thinking that since I was going to upgrade my brakes to power I might as well do the rest. Maybe I'm wrong ::)

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Troy

I had a 73 Barracuda with factory power discs and it stopped very well. Same with my 70 Mach 1. My 68 R/T with the 11" drums all around would stop - but never felt as consistent or inspired any confidence like the two disc brake cars. All my other (drivable) cars have had 10" drums and I swore I'd never drive another on the street with them. I've not tried manual brakes yet. If you plan on anything more than normal street driving (blasting down back roads, track days, etc.) or if you just need lighter components for race purposes then I'd upgrade. Otherwise I think you are fine.

I have both Dr Diff kits (front and rear) for one of my Chargers. It uses Ford parts (14" 4 piston Mustang front and 12" Explorer rear) and will require bigger wheels. I am happy with everything but haven't yet driven the car. It's probably overkill for what I need but still not big enough for hard racing.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ottawamerc on January 07, 2014, 09:45:59 PM
I guess one of my braking issues are that it has manual brakes, I agree that the factory system work well for street cars but I was thinking that since I was going to upgrade my brakes to power I might as well do the rest. Maybe I'm wrong ::)

You had to have power brakes to have disc's in '71. Not sure why you have manual disc's.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Charger0018.jpg

ACUDANUT

I have a complete set up for a 71-74 B-body.  (front disk brakes) In live in Kansas though. You might find another set up, closer to you. I think the whole package would weight 70LBS.  :shruggy:

ottawamerc

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 08, 2014, 01:09:43 PM
I have a complete set up for a 71-74 B-body.  (front disk brakes) In live in Kansas though. You might find another set up, closer to you. I think the whole package would weight 70LBS.  :shruggy:

I guess what I'm looking for is the brake booster setup?

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 08, 2014, 01:03:16 PM

You had to have power brakes to have disc's in '71. Not sure why you have manual disc's.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Charger0018.jpg

Thanks Max I guess along the way the front disks were installed or the manual brakes were installed :shruggy:

The Mopar Kid

You can get a Bendix brake booster /master cylinder kit from AutoZone here for 150.00!! It actually looks pretty close!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: ottawamerc on January 08, 2014, 04:09:07 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 08, 2014, 01:09:43 PM

I guess what I'm looking for is the brake booster setup?

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 08, 2014, 01:03:16 PM

Thanks Max I guess along the way the front disks were installed or the manual brakes were installed :shruggy:

Yes - It would explain why the brakes don't work well for you. Check to see what kind of valves etc. you have after the m/cylinder.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: The Mopar Kid on January 09, 2014, 12:12:25 AM
You can get a Bendix brake booster /master cylinder kit from AutoZone here for 150.00!! It actually looks pretty close!

You might have a core charge, and I THINK you might need a different combination valve ?