News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Powder-Coating Question:

Started by Captain D, February 14, 2014, 12:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello all,

I just had a quick question about possibly powder-coating an aluminum push-bar for my 69'Charger/G.L. replica. I've learned that its certainly heavy/durable enough to withstand the powder-coating process, but in your opinion, just how well do you feel that it will hold-up in the long-run...? For instance, stone chips, bugs, etc. when cruising along.

Currently, I just have been using the Rust-oleum High Performance Enamel (the tough enamel) and, surprisingly, it actually has been holding up fairly descent with only a few minor scuffs here and there with a touch-up/re-coating at approximately every 2 years. For those with more expertise than I, do you feel that powder-coating will hold up even better (against the scuffs) or about the same? I just thought that I would double-check before I spend $100 on something whereas I can spend $6.99 for the tough enamel rattle can stuff for ultimately the same results in the long-run...

'Thank you' for any and all replies,
Best regards,
Aaron   

Ghoste

The powder coating will certainly hold up better, no question about that.  As to the difference in cost, how well has the enamel been holding up when you say "decent"?

Dino

I would suggest finding out what the suv manufacturers and the police uses on actual push bars.  It seems to work.   ;)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

And I'd bet it's powder coating. ;)

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

garner7555

Powdercoating is far superior to paint in resisting chips and scuffs, as long as it's prepared right. Make sure you have an experienced applicator doing the work.  :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Captain D

Thank you gents for the inputs!  :2thumbs:

Hi Ghost - to describe 'descent,' I checked the push-bar as it is now and it still has a high level of gloss; just some light scratches from where some minor pebbles/bugs may have hit it when cruising along.

There definitely seems to be a consensus with the powder-coating option, lol. I suppose the only thing that may hold me back is if I get it powder-coated, and when cruising along, I get more pebbles/bugs hitting it which 'may' potentially cause similar blemishes: now I'm stuck with a color finish on the push-bar that I simply can't 'touch-up' in the long-run with using something as simple and cheap as a 'rattle can.' Any other G.L. owners here that went with the powder-coating route on your push-bar? If so, how is it holding up?

As Garner7555 noted, probably the next best step for me would be to find a reputable powder-coating company that will ensure that they can do the job right and make sure that it is cured properly (hardened). Something to think about and chew on over here on my end, I suppose... :scratchchin:

Thank you again for all of your replies,  :cheers:
Aaron

ws23rt

Maybe one of those clear films applied to the finished part will give you more protection :shruggy:

Bottom line is if you use it it will become used.

Captain D

Thank you for the reply - but, yes, I heard back from two reputable powder-coating places today and both agreed on the same point in that they can't guarantee that I won't get similar scuffs possibly. With that being said, I think that I may just hold off on spending that $125 and apply it to something else that may be in more need of perfecting on my Charger,  ;).  With that being said, the high gloss black Rust-Oleum hard enamel paint every two or three seasons will just have to do... :2thumbs:

Thank you again for all of the replies/input,
Aaron 

Ghoste

You can buy a lot of rattle cans for 125 and if its every other season for a touch up you'll be good for a while.  :2thumbs:

sanders7981

What about using por 15? If prepped right, that stuff is damn near bullet proof.  I think they also have it in UV resistant colors too.  I have the steel push at, wide version... Still debating on painting or PCing myself. 

Ghoste

Do those pushbars really take that much abuse?

ws23rt

Quote from: Ghoste on February 28, 2014, 10:33:49 PM
Do those pushbars really take that much abuse?

They are up front.  What was the original intent of the pushbar anyway?  If dodge but them on cars from the factory than good grills would be easier to find :lol:

Ghoste

Yeah but I've never noticed that nuch stone chip damage on the other leading edges of the car.