News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 heads

Started by tiki, March 09, 2014, 09:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

What are the best aluminum heads? just started gathering parts for a 68 440 I want a complete set of heads any ideas?

myk

Edelbrock RPM.

Do you have a concern with plug angles? 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

tiki

thanks for the info was looking at summit racing and found polished for about a thousand dollars each complete

c00nhunterjoe

Thats the same question as "what is the best color to paint my car?"

Its all opinion until you ask a more specific question. You really need to have a goal for what you are building before you say what tue best head is..... stock/ mild/ wild??? And even that is too broad to select a head in my opinion.

Personally, im a max wedge fan, weather its oe castings or indy 440-1's, but if you are not building a bottom end to use them, then its a waste.

don duick

I have 2 cars and bought edelbrock rpm for one and 440 source for the other. Took them both to the machine shop to be checked and have springs locks and retainers replaced with comps cam parts. The machinist told me the 440 source looked to be a better head. they had no problems. The edelbrocks had 2 leaking exhaust vales and rougher casting in the inlet ports no big deal was an easy fix. the edelbrocks have slanted plugs, hp exhaust manifolds will clear but headers will not. I had to modify one primary pipe not a difficult job. do not know flow numbers which I guess would be a important point to consider. The main reason why I bought the 440 source is because I got them cheap. Be careful buying used  440 source heads I have heard the early ones had problems. The ones I bought were new and made in 2012.

heyoldguy

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 09, 2014, 10:27:14 AM

Its all opinion until you ask a more specific question. You really need to have a goal for what you are building before you say what tue best head is..... stock/ mild/ wild??? And even that is too broad to select a head in my opinion.

Personally, im a max wedge fan, weather its oe castings or indy 440-1's, but if you are not building a bottom end to use them, then its a waste.

Very good points. I am so thankful for this polite response. Nice example for me to follow.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: heyoldguy on March 10, 2014, 08:38:48 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 09, 2014, 10:27:14 AM

Very good points. I am so thankful for this polite response. Nice example for me to follow.

You are full of good advice and tons of experience. This can be a tough crowd to talk to at times.

fy469rtse

If you get the 440 source heads, get the locks and retainers to valves checked, this was the issue with them .
I think what ever head you get make sure the headers you purchase are specific for that head and not a general fit type which is common and we all have been burnt in some way or other,
I had bought TTi's for my victors and ended up sending them back, bad advice From TTi also, they never mentioned that there were two types,
Found this out later on here, it would have saved me a lot of grief,