News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to get pre paint bodywork done?

Started by WH23G3G, April 09, 2014, 10:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok I'm about to the body and paint stage on my 73 Charger. I talked with the shop that's had my Charger forever and they said they installed my new intake and gasket and it runs the way it should. As soon as I pick it up I want to get it in paint quickly. What I'll need done is to realign the doors, fenders, hood, and trunk lid. I think that's the most labor part. I only have a small hole about the size of a half dollar in the lower rear rocker. If someone can patch it without having to cut a bunch of metal out and still look decent I'll be happy with it. There isn't any rust issues on the car, the hole looks like where someone ran over something maybe the previous owner since he lived on a dirt road. Then the main thing I was worrying about was reinstalling the nails that the plastic rocker molding clips fasten to for the bottom chrome rocker molding. It's not an see. The nails have been ground off when someone changed the color to blue. Is that a problem for a body/paint shop to reinstall? Should I get the labor done by a body shop and then take it to an economical paint shop to just get it sanded and sprayed? I'm not trying to build a show winner I want to drive it whenever I want and not have to worry about if I get a rock chip or not or a door ding. So if it needs filler to smooth it out and it's not shot in basecoat/clearcoat and can still look good than I'm ok with it. Just wondering what I should do about the door alignment and rocker molding nail reinstallment.

myk

Body work begets a body shop. However, some painters won't paint a car they didn't do the bodywork on.  I would get the bodywork and paint done together. If you want to cheap out on the job you can do what I did: have the body work professionally done and then paint the car in a garage.  This netted me a 5-footer, but YMMV...;
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

hemi-hampton

With the nails in the Rocker that hold the Plastic Clips that hold the Rocker I would just use a Phillips head screw in clip in place of nail. I do it all the time & works fine. If you want a daily driver done cheap just take it to a MAACO Franchise to do both the body work & paint. :Twocents: :shruggy: LEON.