News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

recommend me a great carb for my car

Started by Stegs, August 11, 2014, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

Looking for some input on a new carb

I want something that will wake up my bone stock 440, but id love to have something that will work down the road when I add a new cam, maybe do some head work.

Im looking for something that's easy to tune, will give me more power, but above all be a good carb to cruise with....

I don't drag race my car, I just cruise with it (every now and then I might get on it a little  :drool5:)

what is a good carb? should I go with a 650? 750?

remember going on a stock 440 now, but down the road I plan on doing some motor work. Maybe I can find a carb that will work with both?

fy469rtse

Proform 750 vac secondary's , Ron on here's favourite series of cab's , so when your using it ,
Resident expert , really good carburettor

nvrbdn

i agree with the 750. thats what i put on my 383/ 40 over/nice purple cam. local mechanic friend tuned it in in a matter of 15 minutes. nice response and cruising. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: nvrbdn on August 12, 2014, 05:20:34 AM
i agree with the 750. thats what i put on my 383/ 40 over/nice purple cam. local mechanic friend tuned it in in a matter of 15 minutes. nice response and cruising. :2thumbs:

did you have to drill holes in the butterfly so it could idle?  I had to drill these tiny little holes in primaries butterflies so it could idle with the purple cam.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Stegs

great, thanks for the response

2 more question, what cfm is the original carb (carter) and will the 750 be too much for a stock motor?

John_Kunkel

You'll hear a lot of people claim the factory 440 AVS carbs were 750 cfm but I'd say less than 700 cfm.

I hung back because I knew most here would recommend a 750, for a bone stock 440 I wouldn't go over 650. For "down the road" a 750 would be more appropriate.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

nvrbdn

I did have a 600 holly. I wasn't getting what I wanted out of it. during power tour here in st. Louis I visited the holly tent who told me the 600 would be all I needed for my application. then I visited the edlebrock tent who told me to use their 600 cfm. I did like how easy it was to re jet. they both said bigger was a waste and 600 would be perfect. well, It just didn't work for me. local guys said get the 750. as soon as I put the 750 on and tuned it in, it worked well. maybe I just needed to jet bigger? don't know. probably. but im happy where im at. if you want to get a 600 holly, or a 600 edlebrock, I know where they are. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: nvrbdn on August 12, 2014, 06:03:25 PM
I did have a 600 holly. I wasn't getting what I wanted out of it. during power tour here in st. Louis I visited the holly tent who told me the 600 would be all I needed for my application. then I visited the edlebrock tent who told me to use their 600 cfm. I did like how easy it was to re jet. they both said bigger was a waste and 600 would be perfect. well, It just didn't work for me. local guys said get the 750. as soon as I put the 750 on and tuned it in, it worked well. maybe I just needed to jet bigger? don't know. probably. but im happy where im at. if you want to get a 600 holly, or a 600 edlebrock, I know where they are. :smilielol:

I think any carb would work between 600 to 1000 with the adjustability of these. In the end put it on a dyno and see the numbers and run a smaller carb if you want to get mpg.

firefighter3931

I like the Proform 750 vacuum secondary carb on that combo. The engine will only use what it needs on the secondary side and engines with dual plane intake manifolds can generally use larger (within reason) carburators. A holley 20-7 throttle adapter will be needed to complete the installation.  :scope:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Stegs

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 13, 2014, 01:58:46 AM
I like the Proform 750 vacuum secondary carb on that combo. The engine will only use what it needs on the secondary side and engines with dual plane intake manifolds can generally use larger (within reason) carburators. A holley 20-7 throttle adapter will be needed to complete the installation.  :scope:

Ron

the man with much knowledge has spoken (or written in this case) I know when I replace the carb...I will contact Ron again for his vast knowledge.....

the reason I asked is I came across what was a really good deal on a holly carb on craigslist. It came off of a 440 roadrunner, it was 750 cfm, guy wanted 250 or best offer......well its sold now, but that's ok...

its not time to upgrade just yet, I will probably run the factory carter this season yet....then order a new carb in the spring...

Cooter

Of course,by the calculations, a stock 440's needs only 600 CFM.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

What has your own experience been with carb size?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 13, 2014, 01:58:46 AM
The engine will only use what it needs on the secondary side

That's true from a WOT perspective but the larger primary bores of the 750 will give less part-throttle response than a smaller carb. (velocity)

Drivability versus performance....since 99.9999999999999% of street driving is at light throttle I prefer smaller carbs for the street.

Brass

I'm a little surprised spreadbores are not more popular than they are.  I imagine it is because most intakes are squarebore.  Personally, I went with a 700 double pumper.

c00nhunterjoe

There is no "universal fix" whatever you buy for this engine wont be enough for the next one. If you try to make a happy median, power will be left on the table with both engines. Save yourself the trouble and buy for each engine specificly and exactly.

Stegs

what is a good rebuild kit for my factory carter carb....im going to go ahead and have it rebuilt, but I want a quality kit to get my car running 100% again!

any links to a good carb kit? please help me out so I can get it ordered!~

carb is a factory carter off a 440

delete post....found what I needed

John_Kunkel

Carter carb repair kit.

Nickrc3

Forget the Carter. Do what I did - oil it, seal in bag and store. The change to a ProForm carb made a tremendous difference in the driveability and all out performance with my 440.

Read through this:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,108795.0.html

myk

I think I may have just found my 'carb.  I also just bought a CH4B so maybe I can banish that off-idle bog as well...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

c00nhunterjoe

I would only keep the afb if you are running stock/super stock, or are building a 100 pt show car. Otherwise swap to a holley styled carb. You will be much happier

Stegs

car is not numbers matching at all, so no point. I will keep the carter in a bag just to keep it. But I will switch to a holley or a proform carb.....