News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal flakes in oil

Started by gsniegow, July 30, 2014, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsniegow

So last night I investigating a knock that developed a week or so back.  I discovered that the stud and nut backed off of my rocker arm and fell off.  I will address this in a week or so when I return from my upcoming vacation.  While inspecting everything I noticed that my oil now has some tiny little metallic flakes in it as well, guessing from damage done to the rocker arm.  I am not in a position to rebuild this motor so I was wondering if there were any tips or tricks you all use to safely remove them.  

I was thinking of just doing a couple of oil / filter changes with a lighter weight oil but I'm not sure if that will help at all.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Gene

fy469rtse

You could use the oil priming procedure , qtr turns on the crank shaft using oil pump off and suction hole to pressure blast solvent through oil journals, rocker covers off and block drain back holes,
I would take pump apart and thoroughly clean it,
Cut filter open and see how much it caught,
Not a good situation to be in , ? How long was engine ran for like this,
Hope someone pipes in who has done something similar and has had luck
I think I would still drop pan and drop a cap off to inspect crankshaft bearings ?
This might be bad advice ,

gsniegow

Thank you for responding!

I first heard the knocking two weeks back.  I took the car for a 10 minute drive around the neighborhood and the loud knocking went away.  (I've come to learn that the stud and nut were banging on the valve cover and when it "went away" they basically fell off).  After that trip I took it for a 10 mile ride, so maybe ran for another 30 minutes.  I'm uncertain as to how far these tiny flakes may have traveled through the internals.  I will be doing an oil and filter change and will see if there are any visible traces.  These are not large flakes at all.  As a matter of fact they are barely noticeable.  I was curious so I ran my finger along the top of the valve cover and could only feel them.  They are nothing that I could actually pickup. 

Thanks again...

~Gene

fy469rtse

Gene , cut the filter open and have a look at what its caught,
punch a big chisel in it and use tin snips to open it up , you could be lucky,
install a magnetic sump bolt , dont be afraid to change oil again and again, run a magnet through oil and see whats sticks to it,
locktight to rocker studs , ? it will make them harder to adjust when needed but insurance against this happening again
your welcome , hope all is good , tough motors these
they take a lot of abuse
geoff

green69rt

Where did you find the oil?  On the dipstick, stuck to the valve cover, on top of the heads??  Have you looked in the oil pan?  Before you panic it might be useful to take a look around to see where the stuff is located.  Also can you see where it is coming from?  Worn places.... 

Like Geoff said, check the oil filter.  If none in the filter this may be old wear fillings that you are just finding.. :shruggy:

Worst case (and I do mean worst!) you are in for a rebuild.

ws23rt

Quote from: green69rt on July 31, 2014, 07:12:47 PM
Where did you find the oil?  On the dipstick, stuck to the valve cover, on top of the heads??  Have you looked in the oil pan?  Before you panic it might be useful to take a look around to see where the stuff is located.  Also can you see where it is coming from?  Worn places.... 

Like Geoff said, check the oil filter.  If none in the filter this may be old wear fillings that you are just finding.. :shruggy:

Worst case (and I do mean worst!) you are in for a rebuild.

I agree with this and would like to throw in don't panic. Also the earlier posts about cleaning flushes are appropriate and what I would do. 

One thing I would not do is rebuild an engine that does not need it. :Twocents: