News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adjust front wheels ?!

Started by andben, July 05, 2014, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andben

Hi, my front wheels is scratching to the fender when I turn (most on the left side). So my fender get scratched and it sounds no good when turning.

Is there any way I can "move back" the left wheel (or both).

I got a 1970 Dodge Charger. Front wheels is 255/60/15 on Reallye and 275/60/15 rear.

(Maybe I should just swap to 235/60/15 in front?)

Please advice guys!!  :cheers:

tan top

what  size wheels & back space have you got on the front ?
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

andben

I dont know...

Is it possible to "move back" the wheels? And if Yes, how to do that? I need to adjust it back half a inch / 1".

myk

No you can't. The spindle, upper and lower control arms are designed to be where they're attached, so you just can't arbitrarily change the position of the wheels. There's something else going on down there, and I suspect its a backspacing issue...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

XH29N0G

Are your rims original or reproductions?  I took a look at your burnout video and it looks to me like your front and back rims may be the same size.  I assume the back rims are 15 x 8.  Do you know if you have 15 x 8 rather than 15 x 7 Rallyes on the front? 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

myk

8 inch wide rims shouldn't be a problem unless the backspacing/offset is wrong...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

John_Kunkel

Actually, you can move the front wheels back with the use of a longer strut rod but it's not a good idea.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

I'm thinking the 'OP means "back" as in moving the wheel into the car further, not "back" as in backwards and forwards. 

As for using strut rods to move the wheels "back" further, I'm getting chills just thinking about it...

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

myk

That size should fit though, right?

XH29N0G

If it is the height in the wheel well, Could the front suspension height be set too low?  Has this been checked?   :shruggy:

I have 245 60R15 on 15 x 7 Rallye wheels and I can see all of the tire.  I think my ride height is within spec.  I don't see how an additional 0.5 inches in diameter would make it sit too high in the wheel well.  I mentioned the 15 x 8 question because it looks on my car like the 15 x 8 sit out further than the 15 x 7s.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

HPP

Since english is your second language, I think we may need some pictures of your current front end tire and wheel combo to better assist with a resolution to this. That will do a lot to help us better understand your exact problem and make accurate recommendations for solutions.

Do you do all your own work on your cars or do you have a trusted mechanic or shop that assists you?

andben

Hi guys! Thx alot for questioning.... I think my tires is to big. The Rallye Wheels is aftermarket and in rear 275/60/15 and front 255/60/15.

I guess I need to switch to like 235/60/15 in front and everything will be good?

Troy

Your front tires are about an inch taller and about 3 inches wider than stock. I'd say your front end is set too low (can adjust this with the torsion bars) OR the back spacing on the wheels itself is incorrect. I accidentally bought wheels with a 3-3/4" back spacing instead of 4-1/2" and the back tires (275/60-15) rubbed but not the front (235/60-15). They would have surely hit with 255s.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

myk

Quote from: andben on July 08, 2014, 08:43:22 AM
Hi guys! Thx alot for questioning.... I think my tires is to big. The Rallye Wheels is aftermarket and in rear 275/60/15 and front 255/60/15.

I guess I need to switch to like 235/60/15 in front and everything will be good?

Maybe...you need to know the backspacing of your wheels...

andben

4.5" backspace, there was a half inch spacer as well. I removed the spaced and reinstalled the wheel. I have 4 calipers disc brakes in front and suddenly the wheel was stuck. I put the spacer back and installed a 235/60/15 from one of my other cars (same backspace) and it get some clearance of about an half a inch.

SO It would be better to put on a 225/60/15 I guess?

Troy

Ugh. The wheel offset is correct for stock (assuming 8" wide wheel) and shouldn't have an issue with the bigger tire - especially not after switching to 235. Does it clear now or are you just worried about it still being too close? The disc brakes are the issue. You either need bigger diameter wheels that you can pull back in AND still clear the brakes or skinnier tires that are pushed out like they are now.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

andben

Yea wheel wide is 8". It does clear with 235/60/15 but it is close, my fender needs to be repainted anyway now  :icon_smile_blackeye: