News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

installation problems disc brake swap

Started by Al, August 05, 2014, 04:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Hi

I'm replacing the front drum Brakes from my 68 Charger with disc Brakes (11.75" Rotors). I was told the calipers should be mounted to the rear so as not to interfere with the OEM swaybar.

However when I mount them to the rear they touch the shock absorbers!

What can I do? I would greatly appreciate your help.

greets
Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

fy469rtse

Pictures please, then it is like we are there with you , swap calipers over, hint bleeder should be at top to get air out
I'm trying to picture how calipers could be near shockers
Need photos so I can see what you have wrong

Al

unfortunately I cannot upload pictures at present

Al

Quote from: b5blue on August 05, 2014, 08:08:50 AM
This may help?: http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

This is exactly the swap we're doing. I have the article printed out and we read it thouroughly. However any possible interference problem with the shock absorber is not mentioned.  :shruggy:

b5blue

I'll be doing the same in not too long. Mine is a 70 though. Have you the pin or slider mounting? Have you got the bleeder to the top of the caliper as mounted? Is the car at ride height or still hanging?  :scratchchin:

Al

Quote from: b5blue on August 05, 2014, 08:32:39 AM
I'll be doing the same in not too long. Mine is a 70 though. Have you the pin or slider mounting? Have you got the bleeder to the top of the caliper as mounted? Is the car at ride height or still hanging?  :scratchchin:

it's the slider mounting. Bleeder is on top. Car is still hanging.

68pplcharger

would need to see actual pics of the interference. I've got 14" rotors on mine with 6 piston calipers and don't have an issue. I used a spindle off of a 70's cordoba

b5blue

Well drop the car and I bet a beer it clears. With the interconnecting tie rods and steering assy. hanging it travels more inward than it would resting on the ground as everything is in effect shortened by the extra distance.

fy469rtse

bottom of shocker goes into the arm, ? your not putting it at the rear of control arm by chance , bottom bush of shocker tight fit into arm , bolt goes through all

Al

good news: the clearance problem has been solved however when I hit the Brakes hard, there is a kind of knocking noise (one knock) coming from the driver side disc brake.

Any ideas?
Al

b5blue

fy469rtse

All caliper bolts tight , anti rattle clip on that side ?

Al

I read somewhere that you have to crimp the protuding tab on the brake pad tightly around the caliper. I haven't done this; could this explain lateral movement of the brake pad inside the caliper and thus causing this knock when I brake?

fy469rtse

Yes that's something to check , new pads and disks as well, give brakes time to seed in or run in, braking will improve

Canadian1968

If you don't mind. What parts did you go with. I have read the article to but we jus don't have any those cars in junk yards around  here (Ontario)

Al

Quote from: Canadian1968 on August 09, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
If you don't mind. What parts did you go with. I have read the article to but we jus don't have any those cars in junk yards around  here (Ontario)

I have the 12" stage 2 kit from Dr Diff

Al

Problem solved: the control bushings were loose and I clipped the pads to the caliper. It's a great improvement over the stock drums.

Thanks for your replies  :2thumbs:

Al