News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how much muscle do you need?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 20, 2015, 11:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

to turn a firm feel steering box that is 16:1 vs a 20:1 manual?  I have a choice this week firm feel box or a hothckis chassis braces.  I chose the box......

moparnation74

On a manual box higher the ratio the easier it is to turn but requires more turns.  I would choose 20:1.  Still will be a pain to park
Trust me, I feel your pain my 4spd 440 GTX is manual

Get you one of these as well, lol   https://www.madisontractor.com/5a6-spinner-aluminum-steering-wheel-polished-aluminum-knob.html?fee=3&fep=75776&gclid=CNDL4vqjpMMCFQGDaQodZBQAeQ

1974dodgecharger

yeah I agree its a pain already with the manual multiple stops, looking back, turn wheel, etc...to back up to parking, lol....

Dennis recommended I get the 20:1 also after I told him I have a 245 width tire, but curiuos what others opinions are also.

Isnt that illegal in some states the, 'speed bal' lol...

moparnation74

I have heard people using a negative caster but that can also make the car to "wander" on the road.  So that would make long distance trip a pain.

JR

Since you're going thru the expense of a new gearbox, why not go on and add power steering and get an even quicker ratio box?

A slow 20:1 ratio would drive me absolutely nuts in any kind of street driving at speed.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Ghoste

How wide are your front tires and how skinny are your arms?

JB400

And, did you remember to eat your spinach?

dual fours

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 20, 2015, 11:48:11 PM
On a manual box higher the ratio the easier it is to turn but requires more turns.  I would choose 20:1.  Still will be a pain to park
Trust me, I feel your pain my 4spd 440 GTX is manual

Get you one of these as well, lol   https://www.madisontractor.com/5a6-spinner-aluminum-steering-wheel-polished-aluminum-knob.html?fee=3&fep=75776&gclid=CNDL4vqjpMMCFQGDaQodZBQAeQ
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 20, 2015, 11:54:26 PM
yeah I agree its a pain already with the manual multiple stops, looking back, turn wheel, etc...to back up to parking, lol....

Dennis recommended I get the 20:1 also after I told him I have a 245 width tire, but curiuos what others opinions are also.

Isnt that illegal in some states the, 'speed bal' lol...
I do not know about all 50 states, but legal here (PA.) now for many years. Allowed because of people with disability's.
A great tool for backing up.
But get a rubber coated one, it will be warmer and not hurt if you rap your knuckles on it. :Twocents: 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Ghoste

twodko

What JR said. You'll be glad you did.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 21, 2015, 01:46:14 PM
How wide are your front tires and how skinny are your arms?

I do 3.5 turns to right and 3 to the left full clocks....I bekieve thats 20:1. As is....and I have 245 up front...its not bad but normal to me.....he said with 16:1 ill be 2.5 clock to clock thats a whole turn less.......

Yatzee

If power steering doesn't appeal to you because of loss of power, complicated installation and hedious
looks, take a look at this. I knew it was coming just didn't know when.

http://bangshift.com/general-news/new-products/aftermarket-breakthrough-american-powertrain-now-offering-electric-power-steering-for-classic-muscle/

JB400

That electric steering is going to make things pretty tight under the dash.

1974dodgecharger

Im comfused just saw flaming river has a oiece now for extra 170 bucks I could get an improved steering piece vs stock.

Mike DC

Electric PS conversions have had very high prices every time I've checked. 

Ghoste

Flaming River has a piece of what?  It's a stand alone steering gear or an add on to your current one?

1974dodgecharger

Omg....just talked to firm feel got all my info then they told me the total of 800 dollars, wtf.  I said hold on I understood it to be 330 dollars and 200 core charger which I get back.  He said no the 20:1 ratio is 500 dollars and that's what I have in my car now 3 clocks and 3.5 clocks the other way.  Explained to me to get that 20:1 in there we charger extra 175 dollars.....I shit my pants.

I thought in my head I could get the flaming river 16:1 for 500 shipped and it's smaller and compact. 

Back to the drawing board...... :o

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2015, 09:36:03 AM
Flaming River has a piece of what?  It's a stand alone steering gear or an add on to your current one?

Flaming river has a manual box.....I'm looking into that now.  It was gonna cost over 575 dollars stage 3 with 20:1 ratio.  And needed a core charge.....charge....he quoted me 800 plus then add in shipping 25 dollars and then i ship mine to them etc....