News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood Insulation

Started by Redmanf1, February 16, 2015, 12:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redmanf1

I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

Did the superbird originally have the hood insulation installed?
I have a new one that was in parts that I received with the car, I picked up the correct clips and I am not sure if I should install it.
Thanks for any help.

Nelson

fy469rtse

I can't answer this ,
If it were my car I would , seeing how you have it already, can only help protect paint on hood from engine heat
At least I've set the ball rolling , you will get some replys now,
I've noticed that no one likes to be the first to reply

wingcar

My original Hemi car never had it.....BUT, that doesn't mean that one of the previous owners didn't remove it sometime in the past.  At the time I never much thought about it.....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

FJ5WING

When I bought my car in 86 it had a very ratty and torn insulation pad hanging on the motor.

wingless now, but still around.

Arnie Cunningham

I believe the hood insulation pad was part of a sound deadening package.  if you had factory undercoating on your car you should have had a hood insulation pad.  Chrysler didn't always get this completely correct.  my car has factory undercoating but there's no evidence that the pad was ever installed.  the twin to my car belonging to al wald does have undercoating and did have a pad from the factory.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

FJ5WING

I forgot to mention the undercoating, My car had very minimal past the standard in the wheel wells.
wingless now, but still around.

light man

I am an original owner and bought my 440, 4 speed Bird brand new. Yes, it does have the hood insulation installed. It also has undercoating. Hope this helps.

moparnation74

Quote from: light man on February 16, 2015, 02:16:32 PM
I am an original owner and bought my 440, 4 speed Bird brand new. Yes, it does have the hood insulation installed. It also has undercoating. Hope this helps.
Any chance of pics?

light man

I removed the hood insulation many,many years ago when I was much younger and very foolish. However in 1970 the winged cars were viewed as an oddity and most people thought the car was weird and maybe the owner was too! Certainly didn't expect it to become a valuable collector car. But who has the last laugh now.

thehemikid

What might this,...foolishly de-insulated, odd, weirdly unexpected valued collectable, now laughingly owned...cars color be?  :D  :scratchchin:

light man

Tor Red  27,000 miles, unrestored,original paint, top,interior, etc.,etc.

moparnation74

Quote from: light man on February 18, 2015, 08:11:35 PM
Tor Red  27,000 miles, unrestored,original paint, top,interior, etc.,etc.
Let me rephrase from earlier: Car Pics Plz!!

thehemikid

Ahhh...my favorite color on a Bird.

Sounds like you've taken pretty good care of it through the yrs.  :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: light man on February 16, 2015, 02:16:32 PM
:wave: Welcome aboard!  We love seeing pictures of cars, post some of yours.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."