News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Trouble - Update - Up & Running

Started by Shakey, June 05, 2015, 11:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Thank you everyone for your advice and input...update to follow later this evening, time for a quick road trip.  I'll explain later.

Is there a smiley that shows a fool throwing money into the engine bay of a car?   :scratchchin:

:cheers:

XH29N0G

Quote from: Shakey on June 19, 2015, 10:33:35 AM

Is there a smiley that shows a fool throwing money into the engine bay of a car?   

I think you should quickly run apply for a patent on that idea. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

polywideblock

the good thing about Rick E's clip lead solution was that I just hooked it up to the two jumped wires at the hot side of ballast and didn't have to worry about frying coil /ecu  let me drive car for the 3 weeks it took for new switch  to get here , only problem was having to lift hood to turn off car  ;)

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

HANDM

Quote from: Shakey on June 15, 2015, 01:24:25 PM
Quote from: HANDM on June 10, 2015, 12:30:49 AM
Single or dual field alternator?

I converted to electronic but neglected to install a dual in the place of the single causing very similar problems

Sorry, forgot to answer your question...

Single Field Alternator, at least as far as I can tell

OK, if you have a single field alt and electronic ignition, you need a dual fied alternator, 70 and up. I learned this from Pete in NH after my 69 ate three alternators, two ECU's and two black box regulators and two flat regulators before he showed me the error of my ways.
I too was the fool throwing money under the hood thinking each time that I was fixing the problem......untill the next time it broke.....lol

Mopar Nut

Is there a smiley that shows a fool throwing money into the engine bay of a car?   :scratchchin:

What about throwing money away? But our cars are worth it.

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

ws23rt

Quote from: Mopar Nut on June 19, 2015, 08:45:40 PM

Is there a smiley that shows a fool throwing money into the engine bay of a car?   :scratchchin:

When we toss money in the engine bay it falls through. When we put it on the exterior it blows off. When we paper the interior with money it just loses value as time passes as with any other way we put money into our cars.

If this is not one of the things money is for then what is? :lol:  Spending money is part of the engine that makes more money. :cheers:

Mopar Nut

Quote from: ws23rt on June 19, 2015, 09:20:12 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on June 19, 2015, 08:45:40 PM

When we toss money in the engine bay it falls through. When we put it on the exterior it blows off. When we paper the interior with money it just loses value as time passes as with any other way we put money into our cars.

If this is not one of the things money is for then what is? :lol:  Spending money is part of the engine that makes more money. :cheers:
True statement!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Shakey

Finally had the "ah ha" moment on Friday night about 11:00 PM.  Pardon for such a late reply but it has been a very busy weekend.   :eek2:

I mentioned a road trip Friday around the noon hour – drove 150kms to National Moparts to get what I thought was everything I needed to get this car sorted out.  Bought a new ignition switch, coil, ballast resistor and pickup coil for the distributor.  Swapped everything but the pickup coil and it was still not starting properly.  Dodge Don and my neighbour stopped by and decided to take out the distributor.  Changed the pickup coil but had trouble getting the cap back on.  Kinda comical, three guys that need glasses hovering over the work bench trying to get the job done so we could have a beer.   :cheers:

Had to call Dr. Mauro and it was too late for him to come over so we took Don's Charger for a spin and left the distributor at PCR for an evaluation.   :drive:

Turns out I was missing a bushing/pin on the shaft that was causing the shaft to move up/down slightly which in turn would sometimes have it lift enough to stall the engine.  Mauro brought it over on Saturday morning, had a coffee and in 10 minutes it was in and running.   :punkrocka:

Took it out Saturday morning for a quick rip and ran great.  Sunday I started it up and ran a few errands and again, ran great.  Most importantly I was able to take my Brother, his Wife and my Nephew for a ride on Sunday afternoon.  They only come to town once in a blue moon so it was important to me.   :yesnod:

Thanks to everyone here for all of your advice and input – as usual, much appreciated.   :2thumbs:

Thanks to Dodge Don and my neighbour who I always enjoy hanging out with.   :yesnod:

Thanks to Mauro at Performance Car Restorations who is so very knowledgeable on Mopars, always willing to help, great sense of humour and endless stories "from back in the day".   :yesnod:

performancecarrestorations.com

skip68

That's awesome news.   :2thumbs:
Didn't see that one coming.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Troy

Glad you got it sorted out and were able to give the family a ride!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BLK 68 R/T

Excellent find! Glad you were able to find the issue. Happy cruising  :drive:

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

472 R/T SE

Never woulda guessed that.

DD asked us over @ the Registry & I had a similar experience.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Shakey on June 22, 2015, 08:48:33 AM

Kinda comical, three guys that need glasses hovering over the work bench trying to get the job done so we could have a beer.   :cheers:

Thanks to Mauro at Performance Car Restorations who is so very knowledgeable on Mopars, always willing to help, great sense of humour and endless stories "from back in the day".   :yesnod:

Does the fact that I can totally picture me in that situation make me old too?  :P :lol:

So happy to hear that you got her all sorted out, most importantly for the family!!   :yesnod:   :2thumbs:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dodge Don

It was funny. When I drove over I didn't know we'd be ultimately performing microscopic surgery on a distributor.

Despite living a couple of blocks away, because of Mike's schedules, my schedules, his car repair downtime, my car repair downtime....our Chargers have yet to actually cruise together.  :brickwall:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Glad to hear you guys got it sorted out! :drive:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BIG ZAZA

Quote from: Shakey on June 22, 2015, 08:48:33 AM

Finally had the "ah ha" moment on Friday night about 11:00 PM.  Pardon for such a late reply but it has been a very busy weekend.   :eek2:

I mentioned a road trip Friday around the noon hour – drove 150kms to National Moparts to get what I thought was everything I needed to get this car sorted out.  Bought a new ignition switch, coil, ballast resistor and pickup coil for the distributor.  Swapped everything but the pickup coil and it was still not starting properly.  Dodge Don and my neighbour stopped by and decided to take out the distributor.  Changed the pickup coil but had trouble getting the cap back on.  Kinda comical, three guys that need glasses hovering over the work bench trying to get the job done so we could have a beer.   :cheers:

Had to call Dr. Mauro and it was too late for him to come over so we took Don's Charger for a spin and left the distributor at PCR for an evaluation.   :drive:

Turns out I was missing a bushing/pin on the shaft that was causing the shaft to move up/down slightly which in turn would sometimes have it lift enough to stall the engine.  Mauro brought it over on Saturday morning, had a coffee and in 10 minutes it was in and running.   :punkrocka:

Took it out Saturday morning for a quick rip and ran great.  Sunday I started it up and ran a few errands and again, ran great.  Most importantly I was able to take my Brother, his Wife and my Nephew for a ride on Sunday afternoon.  They only come to town once in a blue moon so it was important to me.   :yesnod:

Thanks to everyone here for all of your advice and input – as usual, much appreciated.   :2thumbs:

Thanks to Dodge Don and my neighbour who I always enjoy hanging out with.   :yesnod:

Hi Mike

Glad to hear your cruising again, but I think Don is going to give you a run for your money. That is if he can hook it up.

I think you should drive the summer out and think about changing the parts around the motor later.

Seams like all you local guys a messing up the town. That little dart is doing donuts in every larger parking lot. Oakville place and crappy check it out.

Thanks