News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPER BIRD WING WASHERS

Started by rockytilson, January 16, 2016, 07:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockytilson

Im working on a 70 Superbird clone. Coming along nicely. The wing washer? Bolts to the top of the Underside of the Quarter panel? I notice that the wing washer is FLAT...but, the Quarter panel top has got a bit of a CURVE to it. What is the best way to MOUNT THIS FLUSH? Right now, theres a GAP between the wing washer and the Quarter panel top. I heard you can use FIBER GLASS RESIN FILLER...(wax paper on each side so it doesnt stick). Any ideas?????

Thanks

djcarguy

Welcome.looks like you got a solid body to build on.  look for more pix as you progress.  save an frame the art work on the Bird seed bag in front of car,looks neat . Road runner bird seed,haha.

As to washers maybee just soft sealer or plumber dope to seal around wing bolts. factory seems was metal to metal an barely painted,going by what i seen posted only.   have fun building an driving ya Bird.DJ out west  :popcrn:   :2thumbs:

DAY CLONA

Your wing washer, is it a steel repro, fiberglass repro, or original?

rockytilson

The wing washer is STEEL...looks to be exact. I had a guy named ERIK out of Minnosota do it. Very nice work. He did the front end and buckets, Z brackets, etc. The conversion kit was from STINGER.

The steel is FLAT and long (the wing washers).

ROCK

DAY CLONA

Quote from: rockytilson on January 17, 2016, 07:41:00 AM
The wing washer is STEEL...looks to be exact. I had a guy named ERIK out of Minnosota do it. Very nice work. He did the front end and buckets, Z brackets, etc. The conversion kit was from STINGER.

The steel is FLAT and long (the wing washers).

ROCK

I kind of figured it was Nelson's work based on the front Z bars etc,etc, if his SuperBird wing washers are anything like the Daytona version he produces, invest in a Shrinker/Stretcher jaw set from Eastwood, and shrink the front and rear edge lips of the wing washers to create a convex shape for the wing washers to follow the qtrs convex shape, otherwise you'll risk distorting the tops of the qtrs when you bolt the wing down to "sandwich" the wing washer between the qtr and the trunk wing braces

Mike

rockytilson

Thanks..i appreciate the advise.

ROCK