News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sway bar link colors ???

Started by r4daytona, May 30, 2016, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

the bolts on my drivers side swat bar link came loose and I lost all the pieces except for the bolt and the top bushing and washer.  I went to NAPA and Autozone to get a replacement and what they brought out as their "standard" replacement was 7-3/4" with that bushing(sleeve)being 2-3/4"long.    

What is on my car is 6-1/4 with a 1-3/8 bushing(sleeve).

Autozones  "heavy duty" option measures the same size as on my car -- however the washers were just these flat washers with red stiffer rubber bushings.  It made no sense to me.  

The "heavy duty" kit from AZ was the same size as - but I noticed the end if the sway bar is almost rubbing the side of the strut rod.
The "standard" kit with the longer bushing(sleeve)  would give me more clearance between the sway bar and strut rod.

Soooooo, which is correct for my 69?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Originally for '69 you should have had this double ended link....not just a bolt and nut..... :Twocents:

http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=101-5188
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

r4daytona

Sorry - I do have the set up on mine with the double bushings, what I meant was the nut on the bottom came off the bolt and all those other pieces fell off.  The only kits available that I could find have that sleeve that keeps the bushings apart as opposed to the shoulder that is shown in your picture.  If I could find a correct set and I didn't have to take out a mortgage for them, or, could get them in a decent time frame I would, I just want to get back on the road right now and need to know the proper length like in my post.  Thanks for the picture though.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I posted the link to the correct set up as I pictured...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

r4daytona

Thanks, yeah, I'm having a brain fart day !!!  Thank You.

VegasCharger

I have these(see pics). Just missing 1 cup washer and the bushings are worn.

:cheers:

r4daytona

Ok, got that set from Vegascharger - thank you !  Now, what colors are the parts suppose to be?

The link?
the washers?
the nuts?

I read what the Megaparts ad said, but I trust you guys more. 

bill440rt

Links, washers, and nuts should be all dark gray phosphate.
I've had the double-ended style come apart on me in the past, too. Make sure you assemble them tightly, and use Locktite on the threads.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

r4daytona

I think I might use nylon nuts just to be safe.  Is that dark gray phosphate something I can buy at NAPA?  if not, what comes close?

bill440rt

No, it's a type of plating. Not something you can buy in store.
You can finish them a few ways for a correct appearance.

1) Send them out to a plater and have them done.
2) Use a blackening solution kit, Eastwood sells one. This involves bead blasting the parts to bare metal, and dipping them in the solution which blackens the metal to replicate the look. You'll have to coat the parts with something otherwise they'll rust (RPM, matte clear, etc).
3) Paint them. Eastwood also sells a paint close in color, but I guess any dark charcoal metallic paint would come close.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

r4daytona

Thanks, I do have them blasted but there is no one around here that plates.  I'll look up the Eastwood product, them coat them with RPM
( i have that)