News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cams, gears, tires...expert advice sought (long)

Started by Dreamcar, September 08, 2016, 11:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I'm looking for advice of experts for planning my build. Even though pros will be rebuilding my engine, trans, and diff, I still like to be informed on what and why certain parts are going into the car.

First, I really like Windor's hp/Tq numbers from his 383-438 stroker build (471HP @5200rpm, 509TQ @4200rpm )(http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125531.0.html). I can see myself going that route with my 383, even with slightly lower numbers. The cam profile is:

•   Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
•   Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
•   Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
•   LSA/ICL: 110/106
•   Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•   RPM Range: 1800-6200

Looking at different tire/wheel combos that appeal to me, I've pretty much decided that the tire height will be 27 to 28 inches. Using an engine RPM calculator, @70mph, that puts my estimated RPMs at 2700-3000, depending on whether I use 3.23s or 3.55s. The projected use of the car is local cruise nights, as well as weekend day trips to car shows within about 150 miles (so 300 miles round trip) (@70mph). It would be nice to do a once in a lifetime trip with the car to my hometown which is 12hrs away in one direction. The car does have A/C and a 727.

I was looking into including a GV overdrive in my build, but I'd like to save the cash and not bother with it given the car's projected use for only 6 months of the year (We get lots of snow up here). Please note that although I'm rebuilding a Charger, I've never driven one, so how these cars feel is not known to me. Its older than I am and it didn't run when I bought it. I don't want the car to feel like a slouch when accelerating, but I don't plan on drag racing either. Knowing it could run anywhere in the 13s would be nice.

My questions are:

1.   What do you think of this engine combo for my intended use? Will the cam/gears work well together?
2.   How will the car feel accelerating (i.e. feeling in the seat)?
3.   If fuel economy and noise are not concerns, is 3000rpm too much for longer distances like the ones I plan on doing?
4.   Anything else I should be concerned about or consider?

Thanks
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

XH29N0G

Thinking out loud. The combination looks like it would be fun to drive. how it feels in terms of seat of the pants depends a lot on what you have driven before. I think the cruise RPM will feel high if you have a loud exhaust. You could get used to it though.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dreamcar

Quote from: XH29N0G on September 08, 2016, 11:25:33 AM
Thinking out loud. The combination looks like it would be fun to drive. how it feels in terms of seat of the pants depends a lot on what you have driven before. I think the cruise RPM will feel high if you have a loud exhaust. You could get used to it thiough.

The fastest car (on paper) I've owned is an 07 Mustang GT 5 speed. It was all stock except for a cat-back exhaust. It was a realistically a low 14s car.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

XH29N0G

Then I think it will definitely be fun drive.  The torque is what you will notice most driving around.  I do not have a sense exactly of how it will feel.  I went from a 383 4 barrel, which I enjoyed very much, to a 450 (one step longer in stroke to 3.9) and it was a completely different experience.  I believe a set up like the 438 you describe will be a similar 'different' experience. 

I am not the one to comment on the build.  My impression is that the cam has a lot of torque and a flat torque curve so that is what you want.  There are others here with much more expertise in this and hopefully they will pipe in. 

I can comment on the gear ratio.  I was running the 383 with a late 70's (?) 3 speed overdrive (it was one something chrysler did for gas mileage where they flipped 3rd and 4th and changed the gears in the old 3rd in their 4 speed manual, so the new third was 1:1 and the new 4th was an overdrive at 0.73:1).  It was very nice for long trips with the 3.23.  It also led to about a 4-6 mpg increase.  So the overdrive will make a difference there, but you need to have it so the engine can run nicely at low RPM.  (My current 450 does not like to lug along as the milder 383 did.).  That said, I also have an 0.64 overdrive now, but am using 4.30 gears, so my final drive ratio is closer to a 2.75 gear with a 1:1).  That is fine with cruising, in fact, I prefer to run at 50 in 4th rather than 5th.)  I also have some other cars that cruise at higher RPM but with smaller engines.  What I notice is that the cruise RPM that I feel comfortably with depends more on noise than anything else.  I would see what people here who have used the GV units with a 3.23 and 3.55  and those who do not have to say.  I know they are around.  If no one responds, I would post another series of shorter responses, but I am willing to bet you will get a response.

Anything else to consider.  With that engine, you will probably have enough to break the tires loose pretty easily.  If you like that, then great.  If it gets to be too much, then look at the rubber compound of the tires you get.  It can make a big difference - even more than the contact patch.  My car had reasonable traction with the 383 but was useless in 1st gear with the stroked engine. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dreamcar