News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Basecoat/Clearcoat question

Started by TylerCharger69, June 17, 2006, 11:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

Okay...I have made the decision to put a new uniform on my General Lee.  The guy who did the paint and body work previously  didn't do as good of a job that I had hoped.    I want to do a basecoat/clearcoat.  I plan on applying a full sealer coat to the car before painting.  My question is.....how much of a time window do I have between the basecoat and the clearcoat?   The reason I'm asking this is because I want to apply the graphics after the basecoat and then clear over everything, including the graphics.   Plus....how long should I wait after the basecoat is applied before the graphics (vinyl) can be applied??  It's going back Hemi Orange, of course so there is no metallic paint being used.

69 OUR/TEA

Hello,I don't know the excact color the correct orange is for the GL.Heard it actually was a 75 corvette color,but I cannot confirm this.You stated Hemi orange,I do know that 1970 Hemi orange/Tor red (EV2),does have metallic in it.To answer your ? about window for the base coat to putting on clear,I use PPG,and the window time for DBC basecoat is 24 hours max to clear.Other brands could be longer.Hope this helps.

TylerCharger69

I already know the color  and code...(as seen in my photo)  If I have 24 hrs.....then that should give me enough time for the basecoat to somewhat dry, apply the graphics....then clearcoat...correct??

69 OUR/TEA

Yes,you could do your base ,wait a couple of hours apply the graphics,start clearing.Are you trying to not feel the edge of the graphics?If so,you would have to put a couple coats of clear over them,sand,then reclear.

TylerCharger69

I have 5 gallons of clear and activator   so  I'll have to see how many rounds i can go around the car.   Engine compartment,   trunk area, door jambs...everything is gettin it!!!

Drop Top

I cover graphics quite offten in my shop. All base coats have a window of 24 hrs. I would however sugjest after spraying the base and before doing your art work. To help with any unforseen problems. To spray House of Kolor UC-35 over the base. 3 coats would be enough. What this is. Its basiclly a base without any pigment. Its clear, so after its sprayed it will still be the correct color. But you will have a little protection to alow for finger prints to be scuffed off. It also has a 24 hr time liment. It also gives you something to scuff if it takes too long to put on your art work. This will help to keep anything from getting on the color. If a smuge should apeer it can be scuffed off without getting onto the color. If you choose to use SG-100 or not. I would sugjest letting your base to sit at least 3 to 4 hrs before laying out any artwork. By doing this you minimize any tape lines that might apeer. If its anywhere neer the 24 hr time lemit. I would still scuff with a red 3M scuff pad before clearing. With the SG-100 over the color this can easily be done without harming the color.

Now another tip. To help cover the edges of your art work in one settin without haveing to reclear. When the tape is pulled and its ready to clear. Before you put your first layer of clear. Spray all the edges of your art work first. Then clear as normall. Before you put your second layer of clear, do a touch test first. Then do your edges again before spraying the whole car. You'll want to put on 3 layers of clear. So you'll want to do a touch test each time before the next clear is sprayed. This gets tricky because if you spray 3 coats that means you have 6 coats over the edges of your artwork. Thats when it becomes easy to get a run in your clear. What I do for a touch test. I lay out white masking paper somewhere in the booth. I put some color on it. Then I put a coat of clear over it each time I clear the edges and the car. This way it has the same amount of clear as the edges of your art work. I use this paper for my touch test. When your done shooting your clear you now should have enough clear to block the edges of your art work before cutting and buffing. Another tip is after pulling the tape make sure you knock down the edges of the art work. This will help cover the edges better. remember to not over applie the color right next to your tape edges.

OK what is a touch test? after you think you have waited long enough between coats. Touch the clear. If it strings wait longer. The ideal time to spray another coat is when its just sticky and your finger just barely sticks. Use a differant finger each time or clean your finger off with thinner or reducer and don't touch the same spot each time.

If you need tips on sanding the edges and cutting and buffing let me know. Remember take your time don't rush it. If your in the booth all day. It will be worth it.

Good Luck, D/T

TylerCharger69

allrighty then......my questions are answered!!!   There won't be a tape line because well....there wont be any tape...lol......The graphics kit takes about an hour to apply   (1 flag, two 01's, 2 General Lee scripts, and the cross flags behind the deck lid)  I just wish the guy who painted the car before did a better job....oh well....if you want something done right.....I guess do it yourself...lol.   Thank You all

Drop Top

Is this a sticker kit then? If so, make sure that its designed so clear can be shot over the top before doing it. I have seen times that some stickers will lift and/or wrinkle after the clear was shot over them.

TylerCharger69

This is a decal kit from Pheonix Graphix...It's a clearcoat safe application

2-4-me

times depend on temp. hot has faster flash time ,also ,what type of basemaker ?slow,medium,fast? i would color sand base.  apply decals ten clear ,if edges are felt wetsand with 1500 ,then clearagain,be carefull not to go through. im a 16 year veteran body man ,i think this will work for you.