News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driver side exhaust hanger Pic included

Started by bcharger, May 24, 2006, 07:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcharger

I recently purchased the driver side exhaust hanger bracket (Yellow circle) from Year One for my 70 charger as it originally was not a dual exhaust car. I found where to mount it as there were four impressions in the body that matched exacly where the four bolts were on the bracket. My question is there is a little hole for a screw (Red circle) and my diagrams show a screw hole on the bracket. What is it for? Brian

Dodge Don

The screw holds the plate in place until the hanger assemby gets bolted on to the underside.

B5 Charger

I agree but you don't necessarily need to use it unless you want to be %100 correct.

Shakey

Quote from: B5 Charger on June 06, 2006, 10:41:35 AM
I agree but you don't necessarily need to use it unless you want to be %100 correct.

Why would anyone want to do a half assed job?   :shruggy:

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on June 06, 2006, 12:45:47 PM

Agree. Hey Mike....you going on Sunday to the show in Brampton?

Shakey

Quote from: Dodge Don on June 06, 2006, 06:28:25 PM

Most likely not.  I will be out at the farm for my Mother-In-Law's Birthday on Saturday and she wants me to work on the front suspension and assemble my heater box.   :D

I will keep it in mind but I know if I tell my Wife we are heading home Sunday AM, she will be pleased as she has had a list of things for me to do around the house / yard that is collecting dust.  She's pretty good to me and if I said I wanted to slip out for a few hours she'd say go ahead.  I will call you to see about your plans if something like this happens but I have a feeling that I will be working on my car on both Saturday and Sunday and won't get home until Sunday evening.  It would be nice if these two local shows were spread out a bit.

Perhaps we can do a Friday night beer soon or, the Wednesday night cruise at the Mapleview Mall in Burlington.  :cheers:

A big thumbs up to bcharger for loaning us this space to work out our weekend and beer drinkin' plans.   :thumbs:

B5 Charger

Why would anyone want to do a half assed job? :shruggy:

I don't think leaving out one screw in an exhaust hanger bracket is necessarily doing a half assed job unless you are doing a 100 point show car.   :shruggy:

Shakey

Quote from: B5 Charger on June 07, 2006, 10:17:51 AM

Why would anyone want to do a half assed job? :shruggy:

I don't think leaving out one screw in an exhaust hanger bracket is necessarily doing a half assed job unless you are doing a 100 point show car.   :shruggy:

I agree  B5 Charger however, the purpose of the screw, as Don had mentioned, is to hold the bracket in place while it gets bolted from the underside of the car.  Why take a chance at screwing it up by not taking the time to attach one screw.  Cutting corners to save a bit of money, or in this case time, could / will cost a lot more in the long run.  I know this for a fact!

B5 Charger

How can you screw up putting 4 nuts on 4 bolts?   ::)  I left the screw out of mine and had no problems mounting it.  Put the screw in or don't it really doesn't matter to me but you guys act like the car will fall apart without that one sheet metal screw.  bcharger at least you know what goes there now.  I didn't use one on mine but it will take all of a minute and a two cent screw to put one in if you decide to.  Enough said.

Dodge Don

Quote from: B5 Charger on June 07, 2006, 02:09:45 PM
How can you screw up putting 4 nuts on 4 bolts?   ::)

You don't know Mike  :icon_smile_big:

Just kidding  :pity:

Shakey

Quote from: Dodge Don on June 07, 2006, 05:27:29 PM

:icon_smile_big:

I can honestly say, that yes, I have messed up some of the simplest of tasks.

Don't cut corners is my new motto!

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Shakey on June 08, 2006, 06:29:43 AM
Quote from: Dodge Don on June 07, 2006, 05:27:29 PM

:icon_smile_big:

I can honestly say, that yes, I have messed up some of the simplest of tasks.

Don't cut corners is my new motto!

I agree with Mike (Shakey) about not cutting corners in any of your restoration upgrades or work, however if you are not worried about being 100% with the "stock" look and you really dont need that srew to hold the plate, then you might want to skip that screw to avoid another hole in the car's skin. I did not cut any of the body plugs on the new floor pans I installed and some that were missing on the trunk. I only cut/drilled the one that I needed for the vent pipe. My body guy said the less holes you have on the body, the less chances you will have on starting rust. He said oxidation will normally start in openings where primer and paint does not really reach or coat the edges and he further said that even the plugs rubbing on the metal's edge, with time, will start the oxidation cycle. Just food for thought. I like the "stock" look and I'm doing everything I can to keep it that way, however I'm also thinking of the prevention of rust in the Charger with every thing I do to it.  I know one screw will probably not harm the Charger, but if you keep that mind set of "less holes the better" then the better your Charger will be off.  :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on June 07, 2006, 06:18:31 AM
Quote from: Dodge Don on June 06, 2006, 06:28:25 PM

Most likely not.  I will be out at the farm for my Mother-In-Law's Birthday on Saturday and she wants me to work on the front suspension and assemble my heater box.   :D

I will keep it in mind but I know if I tell my Wife we are heading home Sunday AM, she will be pleased as she has had a list of things for me to do around the house / yard that is collecting dust.  She's pretty good to me and if I said I wanted to slip out for a few hours she'd say go ahead.  I will call you to see about your plans if something like this happens but I have a feeling that I will be working on my car on both Saturday and Sunday and won't get home until Sunday evening.  It would be nice if these two local shows were spread out a bit.

Perhaps we can do a Friday night beer soon or, the Wednesday night cruise at the Mapleview Mall in Burlington.  :cheers:

A big thumbs up to bcharger for loaning us this space to work out our weekend and beer drinkin' plans.   :thumbs:

Mike, my wife is taking the kids to her folks place for a week starting June 17th and I'm taking the week to work on the Resto. Drop by Saturday night 17th or Sunday night 18th for a few beers.....you can help me load my rear axle to go to the sandblasters that Monday.  :yesnod: 

Shakey

I'd be glad to help you, if you trust me!   :D

As you know, a lot of the weekends are spent out at the farm but I think that that weekend we might be staying close to home.  This could work out pretty good.  I will make a not in Outlook as a reminder.  You know that if you didn't mention the beers I probably would have ignored your invite.   :nana:

Also, you know I have already completed my rear differential rebuild.  You and I discussed different local sandblasters during one of our Friday night beer get togethers as I was planning on doing the same, having the housing completely sand blasted.  I posted some questions on this site about it prior to doing it and received some advice that it might not be such a great idea.  Here is a link to the thread I am refering to:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10552.0.html

What I decided to do was to manually clean the housing and tape it off and sandblast the areas that I could not get to with the handheld wire wheel.  Of course a bit of sand still got in there and I had, as I planned to, spent a lot more time cleaninig and drying the inside of the housing.  I was pleased with the results but it did take a lot of time.

Since then, actually just earlier this week, I have learned about an acid dipping company in Brantford, ON.  I was turned on to these guys by another Southern Ontario Mopar enthusiast, Alan Gallant.  Perhaps you have heard of Alan.  He is the fellow that bought the "Barrelcuda" and is currently restoring it.  Alan hangs out on the Moparts board and although I have never met him, he seems like a pretty decent guy who does quality restorations and is always willing to share information in the few times that I have asked. 

Here is a link to his site: http://www.agar.homestead.com/

Anyways, there was a discussion the other day about the amount of time spent standing in front of the wire wheel, usually a lot of that time is allocated to holding nuts and bolts with a pair of vice grips, trying to get years of rust, paint and crud in general off of them, just to get them down to the bare metal.  I am waiting for the day for one to be embedded into my forehead!   :icon_smile_dead:

Alan, tells me that the acid dippers charge $2.00 CDN per pound when it comes to hardware and then he provided me with a link to their web site where I see that they do a lot more than nuts and bolts.

http://www.metalcleaningservices.com/

Maybe they would be able to strip your rear differential housing for a fair and reasonable price without the worries of small amounts of sand being left in the housing.

I have not contacted them yet but I plan on having them do all of the front suspension pieces for my car in the coming weeks.

Just thought I'd share this with you.

Come to think of it, maybe I will post a topic regarding acid dippers and see what other members on this board think of having this done for some of the components on the vehicle.

Either way, I will see what day on the weekend of the 17-18 works out and touch base with you before hand.   :cheers: