News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

removing 440

Started by runningman, August 16, 2005, 09:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Getting ready to remove my engine and trans in my 68, got everything disconnected (I think).  Never done this before, it has an aluminum intake on it and was wondering where the best place was to connect the hoist.  Thanks!

thallium

It's much easier when removing both the trans and engine together, to use an engine leveler. If you are just removing the engine, you won't need one. It's just easier with the leveler, because you can tilt the engine/trans the way you want so as not to mark up the engine bay.   You can use the intake bolts to raise the engine out.     You can leave the intake on, just remove the front drivers bolt on the intake and hook up the chain, then remove the rear passenger bolt and hook up the other side of the chain. Try to choke up on the chain as much as possible. If you leave the chain too loose, you may raise the engine and top out the hoist and not be able to clear your radiator support.

runningman

thanks, yeah I have a leveler.  Do I use the same bolts or should I get some eye bolts to use?

brianosaurus

Offtopic, sorry.. but, dude!  you're sitting on the wing!!!

I had no idea they were that strong!

KMPX2

That or use the holes in the front/rear of the heads

runningman

Thanks guys, got the engine and trans out today with a little help from the wife :)

Chryco Psycho