News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Taller Spindles

Started by pb24, August 30, 2006, 03:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I'm doing a disc brake conversion on my 68 charger and picked up a pair of spindles that I later learned are the taller spindles. I have done a search and read all the forums about this subject and it seems that a majority of the people agree that running the taller spindles are not a problem. I wast just looking for some updated information from anybody you has recently done this conversion. Also stock rubber or graphite? Thanks

Steve P.

NO  NO  NO,,,,  THEY ARE JUNK. DON'T USE THEM......   Send them to me. :devil:

The vote has been in for quite some time now... Go for it..   :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chryco Psycho

I have never come out & recommended them because I don`t want you to sue me if it has a problem , but I have never actually seen aproblem with them & it should help the car corner 

71charger_fan

I'm sure if there had been anyone that had actually had a problem with them, you would have heard it shouted from the rooftops. There are more than enough people out there, especially on Moparts, that seem to almost be wishing for the taller spindles to fail for someone so they can say "told you so." The only spindle I've ever seen fail was a defective casting (forging?) on my cousin's '70 Barracuda.

Mike DC

The taller spindles DO cause some minor geometry changes in the front suspension. 

But it's been determined that these changes do not bind up the ball joints and do not cause any handling differences large enough to worry about.  You'd have to be a pro-autocrossing the car to really notice any difference. 

As long as you can still get the car's wheel alignment about where it needs to be with the different sipindles, you're basically okay.

Steve P.

From what I have read the geometry is better.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

andyf

Taller knuckle gives you a better camber curve.  It also raises the roll center of the car a bit which can be good or bad depending on what the rest of the story is.

The guy that I work with for brake testing and suspension thrashing runs the FMJ knuckles on his A body.  The FMJ's are lighter as well as taller so they work better on an autocrosser or road racer.  But, the extra height causes some clearance problems with deep backspacing on 17 inch rims.  They'll clear 18 inch rims just fine but 17's get really close to the upper ball joint.

bull

A bunch of guys over at moparts.com say that if you use those taller spindles you can ease the suspension geometry snafu by installing tubular upper control arms rather than using the stock ones. A bunch more will tell you not to worry about it. So far all the problems I've heard of are speculative rather than real.

Steve P.

Bull, your new avatar cracks me up.....   :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida