News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Brake Rotors

Started by Shakey, September 14, 2006, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Need some advice fellas!

Since the '69 Bendix rotors were $200.00 USD a piece and getting harder to find, I stashed my '69 spindles and chose to go with the common brake swap using the '73 - '76 A-body spindles.

So, I have a set of spindles from a '76 Dart to use on my '69 Charger and I am in need of some brake rotors.  I have been told that when it comes time to purchase these rotors (which is now) to make sure that I get some rotors that are made in either Canada or the United States as the off shore products are of poor quality.  I don't need this explained to me.

So I call a few places and get different prices:

CarQuest - $61.00 CDN each, made by Wagner but in China.
Motorcade A/P - $48.00 CDN each, made by GBM but in China
Motorcade A/P - $100.00 CDN each, made by Aimco in Canada
Canadian Tire - $95.00 CDN each, made by Monroe in the United States (didn't know Monroe made rotors)

What is stumping me is - how many different companies make these rotors and which ones are best?  I'm leaning towards the North Amrican built as I'd see that as money well spent (we don't need a "buy American" debate here as I am more curious as to how many different companies are tooling these.

What about Bendix or Raybestos?

The question:
Where did you buy yours, what did you pay and are you pleased with the quality?

Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

are you also going to use the Magnum / Cordoba caliper adapters & the larger diameter rotors to match ?

Shakey

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 14, 2006, 06:31:09 PM
are you also going to use the Magnum / Cordoba caliper adapters & the larger diameter rotors to match ?

11" rotors.

andyf

There aren't very many companies that make the rotors but they box them up for different suppliers.

If you have any good wrecking yards around where you live you can probably find a couple of good rotors for just a few bucks each.  Those 11 inch rotors came on so many cars that you can often find them like new in the yards.  I've done that trick a few times over the years.  I've even found original Mopar rotors on wrecked cars with plenty of meat left on them.  Take a set of calipers with you to the yard and don't take anything that is worn more than 0.020 from new.

greatwn73

Shakey,

Brake rotors these days are made globally (china included) and the premium rotors are usually discontinued for older vehicles because there isn't the volume to support the product. Wagner, Raybestos and Bendix all source certain part numbers any where in the world .
    Carquest branded rotors are Raybestos reboxed.
    Monroe does not make brake rotors the name was simply licenced to Canadian Tire for marketing.

In my experience a lot of the product offering in rotors and drums from offshore are meeting a satisfactory quality standard but price will still point inferior parts.

Ghoste

So now that all the North American scrap yards crushed their old cars and sent the steel to China, they are finally using good metal?  :icon_smile_big:  (just kidding btw)

Shakey

I got fixed up at Canadian Tire.  The fella made a mistake on the phone when he told me they were Monroe - they were Wagner.  $96.00 CDN each.

I will pick up new inner and outter BCA bearings this Friday as well as a new National seal, all from Carquest in Caledonia.

Here is a pick of the rotor.

BTW - has nayone ever heard of "seal saver"?  Something that mounts on the spindle to extend the life of the seal.   :shruggy:

dodge freak

"seal saver" do they mean "dust cap" thats all I can think of. Maybe these high tech guys call it that now.

greatwn73

A seal saver goes over the spindle and the seal goes over it. can be used if the shaft is pitted or worn and gives a smooth surface for the seal to run on

Shakey

Quote from: greatwn73 on September 20, 2006, 04:43:16 PM
A seal saver goes over the spindle and the seal goes over it. can be used if the shaft is pitted or worn and gives a smooth surface for the seal to run on

That's it!

Have you purchased this in the past greatwn73?

If so, where?

Ghoste

Shakey, have you tired one of the better auto parts stores?  If not, an automotive machinist should be able to get you one.

1973_WP29P

They are also known as "speedy sleeves".  National seal makes them.  They are usually used for harmonic balancers.

First you need to do is measure the diameter of where the seal rides with a micrometer.   

They will fit a range of diameters.   Say from 1.83" to 1.89".   The part number may read 99187.  "99" for speedy sleeve and "187" for 1.87"

If you get a diameter for me I can check for a part number for you that you can buy from
CARQUEST.  It just happens I have a fewCARQUEST books to look in.

Rod

Steve P.

The brand of Canadian rotors I used to get was ITI. When I lived in upstate New York I did about a half million brake jobs. Once the factory rotors were junk the ITI's went on. Never had trouble with run out and rust was not an issue. It was with most other brands..

I cannot find ITI's here in Floriduh.. Trust me, it pisses me off.. I can't seem to find Camel brand tire goods here either.. 

It seams like it's a throw away world these days..

Those rotors sound rather expensive. Though it's been a while since I bought any!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Shakey on September 14, 2006, 02:38:49 PM

Since the '69 Bendix rotors were $200.00 USD a piece and getting harder to find, I stashed my '69 spindles and chose to go with the common brake swap using the '73 - '76 A-body spindles.

So, I have a set of spindles from a '76 Dart to use on my '69 Charger and I am in need of some brake rotors. 

I have heard about some clearance issues with the front anti-sway bar when this swap is performed, and also guys trying to use the left spindle on the right and visy-versy to solve this.  Any thoughts?

Are the 11" rotors going to fit under a 14" wheel?

Once you go with the A body spindle and later rotors, is everythng else, like calipers and such, avalable at the parts store,, and you just bolt 'em on?  Sounds way too easy. :laugh:

Shakey

Quote from: HeavyFuel on September 26, 2006, 02:03:03 PM
Quote from: Shakey on September 14, 2006, 02:38:49 PM

So, I have a set of spindles from a '76 Dart to use on my '69 Charger and I am in need of some brake rotors. 

I have heard about some clearance issues with the front anti-sway bar when this swap is performed, and also guys trying to use the left spindle on the right and visy-versy to solve this.  Any thoughts?

Are the 11" rotors going to fit under a 14" wheel?

Once you go with the A body spindle and later rotors, is everythng else, like calipers and such, avalable at the parts store,, and you just bolt 'em on?  Sounds way too easy. :laugh:

I'm swapping sides so I can use my stock sway bar.

The article that I used as a guide is here:

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

The 10.96" A - Body rotors will fit (according to the article) under a 14" wheel.  I will use this set up and see if I like it and if I don't, I will upgrade to the 12" rotors in the future.  This means that I will have to hunt down a pair of the larger caliper adapters, which I couldn't find.  I was told by numerous folks that the 11" rotors will be fine.

The calipers I am going to use, I ordered for an '88 Dodge Diplomat - slider type.  Rebuilt from a local brake shop - $20.00 CDN each.

The spindles that I have off of a '76 Dart (or similar) are not threaded and the bolt goes through the front and holds the lower ball joint in place with a bolt and a cotter pin.

I do have a pair of '69 disc spindles but can't recall if they are threaded or not.

HeavyFuel

Thanks.

I saw that article also, lots of info there.  It does say not to switch the spindle from side to side for brake hose reasons.  I also have heard that the bleeder valve on the caliper will be out of positon (low) to do a good bleed when the caliper is mounted to the rear of rotor.

Steve P.

When you put the calipers to the rear you keep the same caliper with the same  spindle. It will keep the bleeder on top. In other words, switch the spindle and caliper together.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Steve P. on September 27, 2006, 03:10:12 PM
When you put the calipers to the rear you keep the same caliper with the same  spindle. It will keep the bleeder on top. In other words, switch the spindle and caliper together.

Of course, that makes perfect sense.  Thanks.