News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 Valves

Started by SirNik73, October 09, 2006, 04:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirNik73

I'm working with my sister on building her 360. we are currently in engine class and are looking for a source to buy valves for her 360. we are also looking for the different oversize valve options. anyone have a source with some catalog data, or know what size over size valve we could put in her engine?

thanks,

Nik
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

SirNik73

i forgot, the casting numbers off her heads are 3671587-A and 3671587-2
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

firefighter3931

Nic, check with Mancini Racing....they seall all kinds of valves and packages as well (valves/springs/retainers/locks) at pretty reasonable prices.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

basically you can use 1.88 or 2.02 intakes & 1.60 exhaust valves

dusterxhorrorx

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 10, 2006, 01:25:35 AM
basically you can use 1.88 or 2.02 intakes & 1.60 exhaust valves

right now it has 1.8 intake & 1.60 exhaust valves. (i'm the one building the 360) i dont think a 2.02 will fit with putting hardened seats in the exhaust. =/ and the .08 addition doesnt seem too worth the work... is it? =/ Is there anything like a .... 1.95?

-katie

Challenger340

After installation of the exhaust seats, if a 2.02" intake is used, a portion of the intake seat will run over the new installed exhaust seat on the siamesed side, but they do fit.

That, or you can grind down the 2.02 to whatever size you wish(1.95), but whoever owns the valve grinding machine won't "be happy", It's hard on the stone, grinding a 90 deg on the margin, then re-do'ing the 45 deg to correct height, but it can be done. Be careful, go slow, and wear safety glasses/shielding if you attempt this.

We used to breath "new life" into worn out 2.02" Valves this way for junky/claimer engines, to put some margin back on the valve, and end up with a set of 1.98 Intake valves, albeit, still with the worn stems.

New 2.02/1.88/1.60 valves are all available from Clevitte, Qualcast and possibly still Federal Mogul, check your parts store.

If you're interested, we could go into using sb Chevy valves ? But I'm too long winded already ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Chryco Psycho

the 2.02 will fit with hardened seats , those are the 2 choices available , there is no 1.90 valve available unlike Chev

dusterxhorrorx

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 10, 2006, 12:09:41 PM
After installation of the exhaust seats, if a 2.02" intake is used, a portion of the intake seat will run over the new installed exhaust seat on the siamesed side, but they do fit.

That, or you can grind down the 2.02 to whatever size you wish(1.95), but whoever owns the valve grinding machine won't "be happy", It's hard on the stone, grinding a 90 deg on the margin, then re-do'ing the 45 deg to correct height, but it can be done. Be careful, go slow, and wear safety glasses/shielding if you attempt this.

We used to breath "new life" into worn out 2.02" Valves this way for junky/claimer engines, to put some margin back on the valve, and end up with a set of 1.98 Intake valves, albeit, still with the worn stems.

New 2.02/1.88/1.60 valves are all available from Clevitte, Qualcast and possibly still Federal Mogul, check your parts store.

If you're interested, we could go into using sb Chevy valves ? But I'm too long winded already ?

we discussed the use of chevy valves alittle last week... but didnt go into dept too much. what issues would there be if chevy valves were used?

as far as grinding a 2.02 down to a 1.95... wow that would take a good amount of time.... >_<

Challenger340

The issues are Valve length and guide diameter, both can be overcome with a little homework. The guide thing is easy, simply install 11/32" diameter guides instead of the Mopar 3/8.

The length thing takes some homework to insure correct final valve height out of the head for rocker geometry, when using stock rockers. Remember the tip length from the lock/retainer up, and down, as per Valve spring compression, you want both correct. Best get a stock Chev 1.94 Valve and start measuring, because they are different from the Mopars.

Even though I've done this many times before, I was always looking for more than "stock" Valve length for more Valve spring height/racing applications, using adjustable valvetrains, the lengths you'll need for "stock" escape me sitting here now.
You'll have to measure for yourself. Of course you'll also require Chev Valve locks and retainers for the 11/32 conversion. Adjustable valvetrains on the Mopar make this much easier.

Chevy sb Valves are available, common and cheap, in many sizes and lengths from std., +.100", +.200, AND -100".

Only wimps wear Bowties !