News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source.com 400>500 stroker kit

Started by Bandit72, October 04, 2006, 02:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

has anyone bought one or have any feedback on the company themselves? I am really wanting to build this 500 stroker for the charger but wanted to know if this is a good company to go through...

400 >> 500. (4.150" stroke/6.760" rod)

This kit adds an incredible 100 cubic inches to your 400 "B" block, and ends up with some of the lightest components available for any stroker combination! And now, we have pistons available OFF THE SHELF in .035", 040", and 060" oversizes, all at no extra charge!. If you have a 400 block that has already been bored .035" and needs to go to the next size, heres the answer! The pistons included with this kit are only about 1.120" tall (that's barely more than half the height of a stock 440 piston at 2.065!) and will usually weigh less than 500 grams! Picking up a box of these pistons verses a box of regular pistons is a HUGE weight difference. You don't need a gram scale to tell which is which. The bobweight on this kit will end up in the 2170 gram range! Ever tap the throttle on a big block and have it rev up as quick as a street bike? This kit includes our Platinum Series 4.15" stroke BRAND NEW FORGED 4340 steel nitrated crankshaft with profiled (rounded) counterweights, and original Chrysler sized standard/standard rod and main journal sizes (2.375" rods and 2.625" mains.) Beware of other kits where shops grind a 440 crank down to 400 size mains after manufacturing, because doing this will grind off the nitriding (hardening.) Our cranks are manufactured at the factory with 400 size mains, and nitrated AFTER the journals are ground. Counterweights are also finished at the smaller "B" engine size, to ensure they will drop right into the block with no counterweight clearancing issues. Rods are our superlight 750 gram H beam 6.760 rods with insanely strong 7/16" ARP2000 bolts. Because the pistons in this kit are so short, the wrist pin is in the same area as the oil ring, requiring the use of oil ring support rails. These are required and add a small extra cost (listed below) to this kit. If going with Clevite "P" series bearings, the rod bearings will need to be champhered to clear the larger radius on the crank. Most shops will be able to do this without a problem, or you can upgrade to pre-champhered racing series "H" or "V" rod bearings to avoid this issue. Clevite does not offer a champhered main bearing for 400 mains, so slight modification will be necessary on the main bearings. See our Bearings page for details.

Shown below is our new American Made Platinum Series 24cc D-shaped dished piston for this kit, (part #6000) now available at NO EXTRA CHARGE! Normally kept on the shelf and ready to ship!

Additional Kit options:
Oil ring support rails: $28 (REQUIRED)
Upgrade to Dished Pistons: $NO CHARGE!!
Add Clevite 77 rod and full groove main bearings and Childs & Albert Dura-Moly File Fit rings: $199
Upgrade to Clevite "V" series champhered rod bearings (add to above): $51
OR Upgrade to Clevite "H" series champhered rod bearings (add to above): $59
Add Clevite's "TRI ARMOR" moly graphite coating to the above upgraded rod bearings: $64
Upgrade to Childs & Albert Zero Gap "ZGS" Ductile Iron Premium gapless Rings (add to above): $130
Upgrade to I beam rods with ARP2000 bolts: $25
Upgrade to 4340 Hard Chromed .990" Pins: $169.95

http://www.440source.com/strokerkits.htm (about half way down the page)

thanks for any input
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Hemidog

Been thinking of turning my 400 to a 450 or 470 stroker from 440source myself, i think a 500 isnt very "streetable" or longlasting...
please keep us updated if you plan to go through with it!

Bandit72

Rolling_Thunder

a 500 would be more streetable than a 400....      making power is easier...    you dont have to be as extreme to make the same power...   

I've dealt with the 440source.com guys and they are VERY helpful and reliable...     i would highly recomend them to anyone who wants to build an affordable stroker.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Runner

people say they will wear our fast because of the lowdeck 500 incher will side load the piston on the cylender more.  but people biuld stocker 454 chevys all the time with alot more cubes than 500 inch and they have about the same deck height as a 400 mopar. i say go for it

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

daytonalo

I bought a stroker kit from 440 source for me hemi to make it a 472 , mine is currently being assembled , although my buddy has used them for his last two 472 hemis with no problems !

firefighter3931

The 500ci lowdeck has a poor rod ratio and lots of sideloading. Not my preference for a street driven engine.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RD

go with a 451 or 471, you really do not need 500" for what you want unless you just want to tell people you got 500" under the hood.

I will be building a 471 next year for my Charger.  I have a 230 thick web 400 block to use. 

on a side note, I have a friend with a 452, stage 6 heads, roller cam, blah blah... produces 634hp at 5600 rpm.  extra cubes is good, but you can get er done with a 451 if ya know what i mean.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

andyf

I have a low deck 512 that is going into my '65 B body.  It has a 4.250 stroke Callies crank, 6.535 Crower rods and custom Diamond pistons with a big dish to keep the compression reasonable.  I'm not worried about how long it will last since the pistons are plenty tall and the rod ratio is in the ballpark.

Bandit72

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 04, 2006, 07:22:59 PM
The 500ci lowdeck has a poor rod ratio and lots of sideloading. Not my preference for a street driven engine.  :Twocents:

Ron

so are we talking something that i'll have to tear down and freshen up after the first thousand miles of street driving or what?

Lightning

when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Challenger340

Some thoughts you may wish to research;

The 4.15" crank in a 400 block using the Chrysler 2.375 " rod journal, requires some pretty "fancy footwork", for clearancing around the Oil pickup tube on the 1-2 journal, especially if contemplating going to a 1/2 HEMI style pickup. 
Building a jig that bolts to the panrail, and acts as a guide, to offset mill the hole for the pickup tube in the block, is what we've done in the past on these. Requires re-thread, hand port & blend the Oiling feed.
That, or get the kit on the 2.200" chebby journal

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 04, 2006, 07:22:59 PM
The 500ci lowdeck has a poor rod ratio and lots of sideloading. Not my preference for a street driven engine. :Twocents:

Ron
I'll DITTO what Ron says here !  Might consume Oil in a "daily driver" application, similar to a ferd 347 deal. Can't see blue, but it just dis-appears from the ferd's dipstick ! Short skirt = low Piston/ring stability.

On the upside though, I 've built, and run this combo lots before, albeit for racing, with very good results powerwise/reliability @ high rpm(above 7000).
You may wish to consider a Block girdle as well.

Just some thoughts
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 05, 2006, 12:10:32 PM

On the upside though, I 've built, and run this combo lots before, albeit for racing, with very good results powerwise/reliability @ high rpm(above 7000).
You may wish to consider a Block girdle as well.

Just some thoughts

:iagree: The lowdeck 500ci combo is an awesome race engine.....superlight bob weight but it needs a "big" cylinder head with lots of port to work at the rpm it's designed for. Longevity and side loading aren't usually issues for race builds that get freshened evry 500-800 passes.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I tend to agree with the 471 thing in the low deck. A 3.91 crank is plenty for a low deck. It revs like a small block and torques like the 500 RB deck. Best of both worlds; and just a little lighter too. You could keep it together for probably over 50,000 miles also. Just get lots of head for that much stroke.  :ahum:
Did I say that right?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

oldkimmer

you will need to support the top end with good heads,ebrocks are not the answer, you will need something along the line of brodix B1s.  Go to the track anywhere and u will see a much smaller engine  with heads sized appropiatly spank that big unsupported wedge.
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deputycrawford

Firefighter; of course I did mean the 471 was plenty for a primarily street driven engine. Oldkimmer; if I went big on the heads, I was thinking of the Indy EZ heads at Max Wedge port size and the matching dual plane intake. I hope to keep it all under my stock 69 Charger hood. It will be awhile before I build due to money shortage but I my 485 horse 392/383 is not enough.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Runner

Quote from: oldkimmer on October 14, 2006, 10:11:35 AM
you will need to support the top end with good heads,ebrocks are not the answer, you will need something along the line of brodix B1s.  Go to the track anywhere and u will see a much smaller engine  with heads sized appropiatly spank that big unsupported wedge.

id think that would depend alot on someones budget and intended use.  if some is trying to put a 500 inch motor together fro say 6500 for a street car that sees some strip time a b-1 head is out of the question. while a ported e brock is just fine. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

deputycrawford

I would run my 471 to 6500 rpms every chance I got.  I do run my 383 combo there now.