News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timing issue

Started by driller, October 22, 2006, 07:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

driller

Had a mp stock distriburtor in my 440 .I ordered a pro billet dizzy  and installed it ,now I have 45 to 60 degrees at idle, runs and starts great but I had 18 at idle and 38 or so at 3000 rpm with the mp unit. I have pulled it and the mp unit was once again 18 idle 36 3000. So I don't think it's the damper, but what is it? Got me stumped, what do you think?

deputycrawford

Does it have vacuum advance? If it does, did you plug it in to full vacuum instead of ported vacuum?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

driller

no vacuum advance, runs good for about 20 minutes then starts poping threw exhaust,i;m thinking might be the acel super coil making the orange box dizzy?

myk

Adjust the mechanical advance in your new distributor, since it doesn't have a vacuum advance...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

deputycrawford

you might be on to something with the coil. I have heard of that. Others will post and confirm this if it is true.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

is_it_EVER_done?

Sounds like the new distributor was put in "clocked" differently than the other distributor. Make sure the new distributor goes in with the rotor pointing the same as the original distributor. There is no way that your engine would run if the advance degree specs you posted were accurate.

If you don't believe me, try advancing the original distributor to those specs.

firefighter3931

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on October 24, 2006, 04:21:16 PM
Sounds like the new distributor was put in "clocked" differently than the other distributor. Make sure the new distributor goes in with the rotor pointing the same as the original distributor. There is no way that your engine would run if the advance degree specs you posted were accurate.

If you don't believe me, try advancing the original distributor to those specs.

:iagree: There's no way it would run with 45* of base timing.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs