News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd gen tail lights

Started by charger0740, March 19, 2007, 06:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger0740

Is there a way to restore the taillights?...the reverse lights fade to yellow and i wasn't sure if there was a way to restore them to white again?

Charger1973

Never seen or heard of a way man...  heard some ideas that might work in a similar thread (not to long ago actually) but never heard of any guaranteed results.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

JimsSE

I had some good success with mine...I think.  I used 220 grit sandpaper wet, then 1000 grit wet, then polishing compound, and then scratch remover polish.  I did this all by hand because of the small area.  I think it took around an hour for each side but the yellow came out.

Jim

Unrestored '73 Charger SE   

'79 Magnum GT
http://www.geocities.com/jimsmopars2003/

moparguy01

Quote from: JimsSE on March 19, 2007, 10:09:11 PM
I had some good success with mine...I think.  I used 220 grit sandpaper wet, then 1000 grit wet, then polishing compound, and then scratch remover polish.  I did this all by hand because of the small area.  I think it took around an hour for each side but the yellow came out.

Jim
\

ive done this but just wetsanded with 500 grit then clear coated the lens. it looks like new.

Bob

Hey Jim, your tail lights look great. Did you do the paint around each section of the lens or is that original?

Bob

LargerCharger383

I just polished mine with flitz (works good on plastic too). It doesn't fix cracks obviously, but it made a huge difference.

JimsSE

Hey Bob,

Mine came originally with the silver edge.  As far as I know, SE taillights came standard with it though I don't think the hardtops, coupes, or rallyes did.  I used a silver paint stick from Wal Mart...$2.39...to freshen them up.  That also works good on the side marker lights on the '73/74's too.

Jim

Unrestored '73 Charger SE   

'79 Magnum GT
http://www.geocities.com/jimsmopars2003/

Bob

Thanks Jim,
I guess I'll visit Wall-Mart. As far as the side markers, I went to the local Dodge dealer and bought 4 new ones for about 9 bucks a piece.
Bob

E5 Charger

I started the other thread mentioned. I just tried wet sanding with 600 grit and am definitely noticing a difference. I think I will try 400 and then work up to a 1000 and then some polishing compound. Thanks for the tip, it obviously works.